e-bikes forum

rossbotha

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ja I've seen one of those little 2 stroke motor kits being fitted at work, real China quality but the sometime JBay (well, St Francis actually) surfer / fisherman that owns it is pretty happy. Like a miniature Harley in terms of noise to power ratio, just sounds even worse.

And I would still disagree with him .... I mean ... this guy uses bricks and the like when building up a bike ;)

What I have learned from him is that you can fit a pair of Fox40s on just about anything with 2 or more wheels. Such a lag and by far the most fun mtb youtuber. Love his vibe, not so much his Haibike tbh

Here in Jeffreysbay there are both types running around. I hate the 80cc one that comes past my shop, it sounds like a leaf blower, and those need to be banned to the pit of hell. There are also the 1000w fat bikes floating around, which the guys proudly boast can climb dunes. They will soon be banned the same as motorbikes and 4x4's on the beach because they cause the same damage to the ecology.

I was looking at the 250w Raleigh volt, as I would need something to help me along when my age catches up, but the spec level is terrible. I also found that most of them have terrible groupsets etc.

Fot those that are interested though, the hub drive should be the bike of choice, as the mid mount is very hard on the hubs with all that torque 

The 1000w Bafang is claimed to have 125nm of torque, my 200cc commuter bike has 13nm of torque, just to give you an idea.

The 1000w Bafang is claimed to have 125nm of torque, my 200cc commuter bike has 13nm of torque, just to give you an idea.

Sure but the 125Nm is only being applied at like 90-100rpm whereas the 13Nm is being applied at many thousand rpm. So even though the e-bike has more torque, it has way less power.

• 4 weeks later...

Merida will be having 5 demo ebikes at ERPM's MTB track this Saturday

Edited by scotty

E bikes are great. Awesome fun and im sure super tools for the commute. They just shouldn’t be allowed in races etc. if they are, then in a separate catagory, not in the main pack. It’s just not fair. Period

E bikes are great. Awesome fun and im sure super tools for the commute. They just shouldn’t be allowed in races etc. if they are, then in a separate catagory, not in the main pack. It’s just not fair. Period

wunderbar, glad you got that off your chest.

in general, the people who are saying this now in 2020 are the same people who didn't want an ebike near a mtb trail in 2016.

amazing how people move on.

I should really go and save some ebike hatemail we've seen on these pages, because I'm positive there will be some of the most ardent detractors eventually buying one, and happily riding sooner rather than later

It is fair if they have their own category. 

hmmm. not sure I agree. If anything they should be started right at the back of the pack. At first I thought best would be to start them right up front, ahead of the elite riders, but this would cause more issues, with them holding up the elite riders. 

Problem is its no fun, or fair to be held up by an ebike rider with no technical abiltiy on the the decents, then finally get past him, only to have him cruise by you on the next long climb, and start the process all over again. Sure, if your not fit, this can happen on the odd chance that your in a bunch with a super fit, but technically incompetent rider on a regular bike, but the chances are slim.

Good news.... this is it.

it would be really nice if people wouldn't bash ebikes on this thread. it has been done to death on other threads and won't add anything here, as we  g   e  t     t   h   e     p    o   i   n   t

JP-DREAM-1-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&a

The wife and I went for our first ride yesterday. Just a quick cruise around the neighbourhood to get used to our bikes. Gosh, it was wonderful. I had a smile on my face most of the time, and still got a good workout. Best buy ever.

715e01453a96e105efebed8e75b7c831.jpg

Seriously considering this for my wife. She’s keen to ride with me but needs some extra watts. New BMC “hybrid”. Built with SLX and Shimano Steps motor. So clean and simple. Rode it a bit around the shop and that, she loved it. Not sure what else o should be considering. Here in Dubai, we have a great cycle track so will be used inclusively there. Everything else I’ve seen is triple the price from Spez.