What tires should I get?

SomeGuy21

Hi,

I'm currently doing a much needed upgrade to my bike and I'm in the market for new tires front and rear. I ride a 29" hardtail for XC and only do 3-4 races a year, so I want the most comfortable tire combination for my style. I'm currently considering a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 in the front and Ikon 2.2 in rear. (Currently run Ikon F/R).

Any other combinations that I should consider? Or any comments on my choice?

Thx

Hi,

I'm currently doing a much needed upgrade to my bike and I'm in the market for new tires front and rear. I ride a 29" hardtail for XC and only do 3-4 races a year, so I want the most comfortable tire combination for my style. I'm currently considering a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 in the front and Ikon 2.2 in rear. (Currently run Ikon F/R).

Thx

good choice 

Ikon/Ikon wil also work very well 

That’s an okay combo, though I’d (personally) go for the aggressor 2.5 up front if you’re looking for a tad more grip. Get the bigger ikon for the back as well, if it’ll fit. Better rolling and grip characteristics as well as more comfort due to the lower pressures you can run.

If you’re only doing 3 to 4 races a year, IMO you should look at longevity (casing strength) and grip as your primary characteristics.

Edit: what’s your primary focus. General riding on trails or Jeep track etc? For general trail, aggressor / ikon. For primarily gravel road / hard pack etc then Ikon/ikon is ok.

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

Hi,

Thx

What are you looking besides comfort?

Do you want a fast tyre to save some Watts

do you want a very grippy and slow tyre because you only in it for the gees?

What's the terrain like where you ride most of the time?

Which 4 races are you looking and participating in and what sort of performance are you expecting from yourself?

What sort of budget are you looking at for these tyres to fall within?

Hi,

Thx

A very grippy but fast rolling tyre is an Aggressor - it has  hard center knobs but quite big edge knobs. I run two bikes - one with 2.4 Ardents on and one with an Aggresor up front. IMO the Aggressor is faster rolling. It corners very well too, so it could be the best of both worlds, especially for SA conditions. It is quite heavy though. It could be too much tyre for the performance you are looking for and something like a Forkaster will be lighter and faster rolling as a front tyre.

Only you know how you ride - if you arent into getting maximum cornering speed out of your bike then a trail/enduro oriented tyre may be overkill. If you are into pushing the limits a bit, the front wheel is where you should have the most tread for cornering and braking. 

Friends of ours are doing the J2C on their Epics. Spez dealer advised them to fit Fastracks to the front instead of the Ground Controls they were running. Because, you know, "speed" and its the J2C. First ride out on the new tyres he lost the front on a flat corner and fell off. You aint going too fast when you're lying on the ground. Now a skilled rider will compensate and use the extra speed to his/her advantage, but the safety net is reduced. An average to beginner rider will not cope as well.  I'm sure they will be fine on the J2C, but for general trail riding they should go back to a meatier front tyre IMO.

Also consider the Pirelli Scorpion M tyre if a better compromise between traction and rolling resistance is required. hauling an Aggressor around for hours and hours in a marathon results in hours and hours more.