Garmin Launch Edge 530 and Edge 830

shaper

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, we often get shafted locally, but before you compare the local price to that of the US, remember, their prices DO NOT include sales tax.  That gets added at the till (or not at all, depending on the State and the online shopping rules - get's quite complicated)

But still, even adding 15% VAT to the US price and the applying a quite liberal exchange rate, we tend to always pay more

Bucket loads more.  I bought my 820 two years ago for €380 and that included the 19% sales tax here in Germany.  Converted to the ZAR it was about R5700.  At that time the best price in SA was well north of 8K

I bought my Edge520 for £180 from amazon UK when I was there 2 years ago. Local price was double

Edited by Andreas_187

Bucket loads more.  I bought my 820 two years ago for €380 and that included the 19% sales tax here in Germany.  Converted to the ZAR it was about R5700.  At that time the best price in SA was well north of 8K

I bought my Edge520 for £180 from amazon UK when I was there 2 years ago. Local price was double

I heard anecdotally that Garmin sells the most high end devices (Fenix/945/820) per capita and the highest ratio of high to lower end devices in SA of any of their markets. 

Makes me believe that they sell at higher price BECAUSE THEY CAN and we just love bragging about it on our wrists.

Running a local "head office" plus shipping should not add so much overhead to be absorbed by the local sales numbers to justify the price points here compared to the US and elsewhere

Edited by daniemare

so a few sites have the EDGE 530 unit only up for USD299.

they also handle shipping and imports costs to the tune of USD60.

so total of USD 360 x 14.5 = R5520 

all the above and delivery time is anywhere between 1-3 months (clearly waiting on stock, and unsure of delivery date)

I heard anectodaly that Garmin sells the most high end devices (Fenix/945/820) per capita and the highest ratio of high to lower end devices in SA of any of their markets.

Makes me believe that they sell at higher price BECAUSE THEY CAN and we just love bragging about it on our wrists.

Running a local "head office" plus shipping should not add so much overhead to be absorbed by the local sales numbers to justify the price points here compared to the US and elsewhere

They're not manufactured in the UK so they also have shipping / office staff costs etc. No excuse for charging double

• 3 weeks later...

Lot's off issues with the buttons it seems on the 530 model judging from overseas comments.

Tredz are selling the 530 with immediate delivery. Nobody else seems to have it yet over here. I am waiting for Garmin to start selling it so I can use my vitality discount

Tredz are selling the 530 with immediate delivery. Nobody else seems to have it yet over here. I am waiting for Garmin to start selling it so I can use my vitality discount (CASH BACK- that you have to fight for)

Fixed it.

Fixed it.

As far as I can see, vitality Uk is slightly different. You go to the Garmin website and buy the product. The discount is applied at the checkout.

1f047b202ee8962689372c108c744f3a.jpg

Got my 530 last week (UK), and so far so good. No button issues as mentioned above. Don't have previous experience with any of the Edge models, so have nothing to compare it to, but easy enough to set-up having used various Garmin watches over the past few years.

Got my 530 last week (UK), and so far so good. No button issues as mentioned above. Don't have previous experience with any of the Edge models, so have nothing to compare it to, but easy enough to set-up having used various Garmin watches over the past few years.

Do we still have to manually setup the screens on the Garmin?

Or can the app finally do this now?

This is the single most frustrating thing about owning a Garmin