Garmin Launch Edge 530 and Edge 830

shaper

Do we still have to manually setup the screens on the Garmin?

Or can the app finally do this now?

This is the single most frustrating thing about owning a Garmin

I seem to have read somewhere that it somewhat remains the same. I think I recall it was one of the complaints during the review of the new units.  

Edited by warick_wrx

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do we still have to manually setup the screens on the Garmin?

Or can the app finally do this now?

This is the single most frustrating thing about owning a Garmin

Yeah, all done on the unit itself. 

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone managed to get any info on potential launch dates for the 530 and 830 in SA?

Next month apparently

Next month apparently

Well I think i'll go bribe someone at the Rosebank office with a good cup or coffee for some info! Hoping to be able to get one before The Jock... but lets see :)

Has anyone managed to get any info on potential launch dates for the 530 and 830 in SA?

Had a reply from local Garmin Support on 18 June saying: "Unfortunately, no exact launch date has been provided as yet. We are hoping to launch the unit before the end of the month."

I note they launched the Forerunner 45 here last week which was launched in the US a week AFTER the edge 530 & 830, so I would imagine it will be soon......

Had a reply from local Garmin Support on 18 June saying: "Unfortunately, no exact launch date has been provided as yet. We are hoping to launch the unit before the end of the month."

I note they launched the Forerunner 45 here last week which was launched in the US a week AFTER the edge 530 & 830, so I would imagine it will be soon......

I actually spoke to the guys at Garmin earlier this week. Apparently they have stock and are ready to go to market. They are just waiting on ICASA approval and the red tape from there. Said they expect to have that sorted by the second half of July.

Will be looking for some 520+ specials, but each time i see almost 6 grand vs the R2k I spent on my edge25, I cringe.

Edge25 battery life is my only gripe actually.

Was keen on the 830, but after their insane R2600 to replace a battery on my 1 year old 820, I'm going Wahoo.

Do you know what wahoo will charge for a battery replacement?

About £259 over here and around £195 with vitality discount.

Sadly means little in terms of knowing what we will pay, at with imports duties and super volatile zar...

Will be looking for some 520+ specials, but each time i see almost 6 grand vs the R2k I spent on my edge25, I cringe.

Edge25 battery life is my only gripe actually.

Navworld has the 520 non-bundle for R3500 currently. Its a great deal.

Its not the plus version, but reviews suggest the plus became very sluggish when compared to the normal 520 and 820. So I would avoid it to be honest.

Garmin's are already finicky units as it is. Most of my buddies have some sort of freezing issue or losing a ride here and there or not connecting to sensor issues sporadically. Best not to couple that will an annoying lethargic unit as well.

Do you know what wahoo will charge for a battery replacement?

Dont care.  I dont like to get f*cked by the same scammers twice.  I'll cross the bridge if and when it comes.

Dont care.  I dont like to get f*cked by the same scammers twice.  I'll cross the bridge if and when it comes.

I feel your pain. You buy a garmin once and lease a new one for an annual fee of R2500....

most unreliable k8k I ever spent money on. If I wasn't on Vitality I'd be all over a sigma rox 12.0. May have to get a polar