Garmin Launch Edge 530 and Edge 830

shaper

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So what is the big difference from 530 to 830, worth spending more on 830???

Not into navigation as I will never use it.

830 is touch screen, 530 is not.

I like the touch screen and gotten used to it over the years so for me it is worth it. Many don't like it though.

If touch screen is important the 830 is for you, if touch screen (an navigation as you said is not) then the 530 will work a treat.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I got my 530 from sportsman, I think the 130 is on CWC and Takealot as well

I wonder why you'd buy a 530/830 if not interested at all in navigation, surely the 130 is enough then ? I only bought the 530 to avoid getting lost everytime I want to try a new route...

My 810 broke and they want to do their normal replacement. I don't want to spend nearly 6K on a new computer. So bought the 130. Thanks EasyBike.

Just be prepared for short battery life - my 130 gets about half of the advertised 'up to 15 hours' connected to phone, HR and cadence sensors only, which when quizzing Garmin support is fairly normal. 

My 810 broke and they want to do their normal replacement. I don't want to spend nearly 6K on a new computer. So bought the 130. Thanks EasyBike.

Was going to suggest Easybike

Sportsmans etc's prices are silly!

• 2 weeks later...

How are you guys finding your 530's? I am enjoying mine mostly, but it seems to lose signal far quicker than my 520 when going through forest etc. 

Chain reaction and Wiggle have the 1030 on special at 299. Must mean the 1030 plus or 1040 is due to be released 

Using the 830 for 3 months now.

Battery life is great.

Climb pro is nice at times, not soo nice when you hurting.

GPS is just a bit slow, and takes time to adjust to gradient changes. My 510 was much quicker with this.

Using the 830 for 3 months now.

Battery life is great.

Climb pro is nice at times, not soo nice when you hurting.

GPS is just a bit slow, and takes time to adjust to gradient changes. My 510 was much quicker with this.

Similar experience with 830, however the last two GPS software updates (latest one pushed to me on Sunday morning, was literally installing on the starting line of CTCT) have sharpened up GPS sufficiently.

I buy into the new Sony GPS chipset 100%.  Accuracy is still a tiny bit down vs my 820, however the increased battery life is simply amazing.  The GPS accuracy only ever bothers me when I'm navigating a route while riding really fast, like in a road race.  I like knowing a turn is coming up before we see it.

Anecdotal experience on my Karooburn ride:

10am-8pm Power meter connected, speed sensor connected, backlight off, Bluetooth off

8pm-3am Power meter connected, speed sensor connected, backlight on permanently, Bluetooth off

I kept recording throughout and never paused.

Smart GPS recording was on throughout.  I imagine 1 second recording would have significantly decreased battery life.

17 hours total time, 13.5 hours moving time.

Remaining battery life when I finished: 49%

How are you guys finding your 530's? I am enjoying mine mostly, but it seems to lose signal far quicker than my 520 when going through forest etc. 

Mine doesn't lose signal for now, but it won't start after a normal charge, I must press start for 10 secs so that it soft resets and start. And the other day battery was flat when I wanted to go ride, the day after a charge, not sure if I forgot to turn it off, but for now I'm not so happy for the price...

my 530 is suffering with the screen constantly going blank. it still has its backlight, but you cannot see anything.

muscle memory allows me to use the buttons and save my ride.

only way to fix is to hard press the power button for 10sec, it then restarts and is ok.

this is now happening most rides.

Poo thing is i cannot even take it in as they are not allowing customers into the service shop in rosebank.

you now have to courier it to them or send via a shop which means in all likelihood if send monday morning, you will not get it back in time for the weekend. joy.

Edited by Furbz