FAW80 - 480 km non-stop

Fondriest650B

On the 13thApril 2019, 26 riders and 5 back-up crew members departed from Prince Albert to Cape Town on the 4thFAW80, where 480 km is being covered non-stop, with waterpoints only every 50 km. The aim is to raise funds for Fisantekraal Animal Welfare (FAW), hence the name FAW80. This is not a race and the massive undertaking and adventure is done in a group, with the task to cover the distance in under 30 hours.

The first 3 events had Oudtshoorn (twice) and Calvinia as the starting points, but this year it was the turn of the idyllic town of Prince Albert at the foot of the Swartberg Pass. Funds raised are utilized to sterilize cats and dogs in the poor community of Fisantekraal, just outside Durbanville. During the first 3 events, riders proved to themselves that the words of adventurer Mike Horn, “its not the challenge that is too big, but the mind that is too small”, certainly are true. So with this in mind and with the experience of some old FAWkers from previous years, the group set off at 8h00 on Saturday morning, with the target of arriving at the new animal clinic at Fisantekraal at 14h00 on Sunday, without sleep and very tired, but super excited to have completed this massive adventure all for a very good cause !

The first 23 km was on asphalt road, then tackling the sandy and corrugated tracks towards Laingsburg and Floriskraal dam. The folk at Rammetjieskraal had fresh fruit and sandwiches ready for the riders at the 86 km mark. It was now clear that this was not going to be an easy ride to the Cape, going directly into a strong western wind. The back-up crew did a sternly good job and by the time that the riders arrived at the next waterpoint, coffee, warm food, wraps, cooldrinks, biltong, etc. were ready. At 18h00, just passed Anysberg Nature Reserve lights were fitted and with rain forecasted, no one was looking forward to negotiate a slippery Ouberg Pass at night, descending the 22 km to Montague. Fortunately, the rained stayed away and the group arrived in Robertson at 4h30 at the old restored, now holiday retreat, synagogue of Phillip van der Merwe, where Ronelle was waiting with warm soup and bread. The group made it to Worcester at dawn, where it became clear that the last 110 km will be wet! The much needed rain for the Western Cape came down in buckets on the way to Slanghoek and Bainskloof pass were ascended in bitterly cold and wet weather after already having done 400 km. In the meantime, our back-up crew had ordered burgers and coffee in Wellington to fuel tired bodies for the last few kilometers.

There was great excitement and happiness when the group arrived in Fisantekraal at the new FAW (Fisantekraal Animal Welfare) clinic, with sponsors, volunteers, family, friends and the community welcoming the FAWsome team back ! In total enough funds were raised to sterilize over 100 animals.

post-64559-0-62510800-1556168657_thumb.jpg

post-64559-0-89060100-1556168667_thumb.jpg

post-64559-0-05226100-1556168678_thumb.jpg

post-64559-0-66960500-1556168690_thumb.jpg

post-64559-0-05684000-1556168699_thumb.jpg

post-64559-0-49602100-1556168707_thumb.jpg

Such a good ride, great part of the country. Bit of everything thrown in. Thanks for posting.

Excellent cause, well executed and lovely write up.

The two pics of Swartberg Hotel (start) and FAW (end) show the difference in kit in 48hrs.

Hope you guys keep this up for the sake of the hounds.