Fixing up my unmaintained MTB

P.A.K.

Hi gentlemen,

I've been off the bike for a few years and before that I haven't really done proper maintenance on it. I want to get back in the saddle.

My tech knowledge is zero, so I'm going to mention what I think needs attention and if anyone can give advice please jump right in.

Firstly the back rim seems to be slightly buckled. It's visible when spinning the wheel while the bike is upside down. How would one fix this? See video

Another thing that always bothered me is that I can never seem to get the back wheel fixed straight on. The tyre seems very close to the frame on on the one side and wider away on the other side.

You'll also see in the pics how close the disc is to the frame. When spinning the wheel it looks like it catches a bit of the brake because it stops kinda suddenly.

When spinning the crank backwards it feels a bit stiff. This is even with the chain unhooked. Any reason why that can be?

The shocks seems like it sagged a bit. I'm guessing it needs to be pumped again. And how often does it need to be serviced?

The chain and cassettes seem worn. What is the current SRAM model that replaced the XX, or would make a good replacement for the chain, cassette and chain rings?

The one bottle holder's mountings in the frame are loose. Can these be fitted again?

The tires are also worn so I'm thinking of putting an Ikon in front and an Ardent at the back. Currently its tyres are 2.0 front and 2.2 rear and I as to go thicker but in afraid a thicker tyre won't fit the back because it's so close to the frame. It's currently a really stiff ride so in trying to see what I can do to make it a bit more comfy.

All advice appreciated.

13134d8703ac90ae9e03c707d2765976.jpg80ca55d784ac3f7b04413e82d21a644f.jpg8418718dda0d9655e6d3b5538ddb107d.jpg28640d1062cb155c3344a1833efdcbd3.jpga65f6944f703afdec7bf918e9764acac.jpgdd731044d109daceb70ac0ea4401a922.jpge5b8462f1c692b20258e06bcccb20354.jpg

Edited by P.A.K.

A lot of questions....

On the wheel/disc get someone who knows wheels to have a look at it.  It may be a simple case of true and dish but it looks more like the axle spacing could be a problem.

That is a good fork - get it serviced soonest and then every 120 to 150 hours of riding.  Hopefully your stanchions are not damaged yet.

Crank stiffness is probably the BB needing attention.  As for the rest of the drive train first measure the chain (plenty threads on this) and then determine the nest step.

The bottle cage nuts (Rivnuts) can be tightened or replaced.

Tyres - Ardent front, Ikon rear.

Most of the above requires proper tools so maybe a visit to a good mech is called for.

All the gear no idea. ????

Take it to a good shop. You need professional help.

Unfortunately bike shops prey on the uninformed so maybe get a quote first and report back. Your mileage may vary...

I just realised this group set's price. I should never have had let it go unmaintained for so long [emoji25]

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've got a quote for servicing the fork (R950) so will have that done ASAP to prevent damage.

The reason for not just dropping the bike off at a LBS is because I want to know what to expect so that I don't get taken for a ride, and to decide what I want to do first as having everything fixed at once might be too expensive. I do think having the bike serviced by a LBS might sort out a few of the issues already, so I'll start there.

No, I just assumed all the ladies are busy tending to the kids this time of day [emoji23]

Always thought the hub was not quite as sexist as some of the bikeshops I've ventured into, but recent posts (refer also input on 'the wife's bike' that gets reduced to colour schemes...) seems to suggest otherwise... :(

Bar ends! You really have been off the bike for a while. Get a recommendation for a good shop/mech in your hood and go see her.

bar ends and riser bar = super retro.

that is a kiff bike. learn the basics of maintenance and she will last longer, by that i mean keeping the drivetrain clean and learning when to get a new chain

XX is a high level groupset

replace the 

cassette with 11/36 and new chain (10spd)  - your next upgrade should be 1 X 11 or 12

Take shock in for service 950 isn't bad

Take the wheel in for truing and check the dishing, maybe that's why the rotor is so close to the frame and you have a wider gap on one side.

If this isnt the problem then consider a smaller dia rotor.

Remove / clean or replace BB

check brake shoes and replace / re-bleed - In fact just replace them

Replace headset bearings - or clean and re-grease.

Remove the Bar ends and fit some ESI chunky grips maybe some wider bars.

Pull off the tyres and redo the tubless gorilla snot with a new set of MAXIS

New gear cables inner and outer

Then more importantly go ride the thing.

A major service will sort most of your problems. The lady will phone you with quotes to fix things that is not in the standard package. 

Go to a "local" bikeshop where you can chat to the actual mechanics and not just the sales person at reception .