Buying a Stolen Bike

Beard

People who buy this stuff often fool themselves by thinking that it probably came from someones plush garage and insurance paid them out in full... so no biggy.

My Specialized Epic M4 was stolen out of our garage, in a small complex, at lunchtime one Saturday afternoon while we were in the house. Insurance didn't pay out because there was no sign of a break in.

I loved the bike and was very upset that it was stolen. Eventually I replaced it with an Epic 29er. Worst part for me was that I never got over the idea that someone inside the complex, one of my neighbours, either stole it, or helped someone steal it. Living like that is not nice.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People who buy this stuff often fool themselves by thinking that it probably came from someones plush garage and insurance paid them out in full... so no biggy. But as someone who has also been jacked off his bike many years ago, this is not always the case and sometime people get hurt in the process .

I just wish there was more that you could do beyond posting it in the stolen section and trying to raise awareness. Also in many cases unless the original owner identifies it there's no proof that it is stolen.

Presume it was a tandem

Don't you know? They all go over the border. That's what everyone rolls out when it's time to have one of 'those' negative thread dives. For sure, people schlep bikes from here to Moz' or Bot's where there are just hordes of people riding around on Sworks, Colnagos, Pinas and more. It's like a cross between the TdF and the epic up there. Packs of them so I'm told but they must know I'm coming each time I'm up and around there because all I see are old junkers.  

Having had a number of bikes relieved from my garage recently I know what its like to have this happen...not nice...I don't believe they are ALL going cross border - yes some do but not all...

you dont see many stolen bikes on bikehub because real thieves arent that dumb and because most hubbers spot them and report them like a flash .

stolen bikes get sold and ridden all over- mostly in parts other than where they are taken and sold by syndicates and "i know a guy" groups and sometimes they just chop them up (who cares about a frame that cost you nothing ) and the parts/wheels are sold on ..................and some of those parts end up on bikehub .............and you all love a bargain parts/wheel upgrade dont you ? :whistling:

yeah deal with it there are plenty of cyclists buying hot bits who say they had no idea (its friday isnt it ) :ph34r: 

I have been preaching this for 10+ years since the jackings started...steal a bike, strip the parts and sell them openly - because who is going to recognize their GX rear derailleur on its own - and further more how would one even prove that the derailleur was on your bike?

The seller has a story along the lines of "I upgraded" or the like...

Edited by Skinnyone

Do anyone sell his 2nd hand bike with light and saddlebag?

2nd Question: Is the first question grammatically correct or should it be: "Does anyone..."

............The seller has a story along the lines of "I upgraded" or the like...

Ask just one simple question like "Wow, what are you upgrading to when you sell your Campy Super Record groupset ?" Then let the muddled answer tickle your suspicion sensors and walk away. Most skelms will not have a clue about the detail. 

The stolen items won’t easily sell on the hub. How it works, someone knows a guy who knows another guy that will specify what his looking for and the second go will go out looking for what the first guy ordered. How many times have you heard of people being targets as only the one or two specific bikes was taken.

What saddens me the most, and I actually had this convo with Morph is the fact that we all know our circle of friends and turn a blind eye when one of them suddenly show up with a set of lightweights wheel rim or ride a Raleigh Rc2000 with full SRAM E tap.

I personally think that it comes down to morals and the love of the sport. I make sure to buy from trusted sellers only.

2nd Question: Is the first question grammatically correct or should it be: "Does anyone..."

1st, yes people do. I have 6 or so saddle bags all from bikes ive bought from people, and no they definitely weren't stolen. Other stuff like pumps, speed sensors, tools etc too.

And 2nd, its "does anyone"

The problem is there's a lot of people who don't have a idea of bike prices. For them it's just a case of buying because it looks nice and the price is good. That's the problem as long as there's people buying they will keep stealing.

My Specialized Epic M4 was stolen out of our garage, in a small complex, at lunchtime one Saturday afternoon while we were in the house. Insurance didn't pay out because there was no sign of a break in.

I loved the bike and was very upset that it was stolen. Eventually I replaced it with an Epic 29er. Worst part for me was that I never got over the idea that someone inside the complex, one of my neighbours, either stole it, or helped someone steal it. Living like that is not nice.

security complex is one of the easiest places to break in. You don't know all your neighbours so seeing someone walking around you assume they live there. As for the getting in gate and garage remote signals can be "copied" without needing to get to the motherboard. So chances of it being someone inside I would say slim. It has happened before so it's not impossible but not likely.

Yes they do.

I have a nice collection of tools and even glue tubes from the 1970’s and 80’s from bikes that I’ve bought and sold on again.

• 4 weeks later...

If criminals were unable to sell thier stolen goods, they wouldnt steal. If u bought something that was stolen, u are supporting and agreeing that theft is ok...

So if they steal from you.... don't bitch... you been supporting their lifestyle...

If criminals were unable to sell thier stolen goods, they wouldnt steal. If u bought something that was stolen, u are supporting and agreeing that theft is ok...

So if they steal from you.... don't bitch... you been supporting their lifestyle...

Huh !?

Huh !?

I think he was saying that, if you buy stolen stuff, you can’t complain if you get robbed

I think he was saying that, if you buy stolen stuff, you can’t complain if you get robbed

I think he was saying "huh" to the almost unreadable grammar and spelling, I know that's the reaction I had when I was trying to decipher the post! I agree with what he is saying though.

I think he was saying "huh" to the almost unreadable grammar and spelling, I know that's the reaction I had when I was trying to decipher the post! I agree with what he is saying though.

Smile... Been one of those days and was doing the post on my phone.... What I was trying to say...Don't buy stolen stuff, you are feeding criminals... and by buying stolen stuff, you are perpetuating crime. If no one bought stolen goods, it wouldn't be profitable to steal... (Hopefully that was better....)

I'm of the opinion that many of these high-end bikes being stolen are not being sold in SA.

Too many red flags when high-end bikes are sold for crazy prices and are sold by somebody not matching a typical riders profile.

Most people riding these bikes are part of some online forum like this or social media group and most often people seeing these bikes advertised will highlight them on these platforms.

But that's just my opinion. I may be wrong

Edited by Markellis