K2C on a Gravel Bike

smerds

So who is planning to do the K2C on a gravel bike this year?

Once you are over Ou Wa pad and the rocky decent the gravel roads should be in a good condition to fly along on a gravel grinder  :thumbup:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see in the rules (Frequently asked questions) that Gravel Bikes will not be allowed.

Thanks for picking that up  :thumbup: 

I see in the rules (Frequently asked questions) that Gravel Bikes will not be allowed.

Since there is no definition of a "gravel bike" this rule is going to need some clarification.

It's been done before on a CX bike, are those now banned?

https://www.karootocoast.com/race-info/faqs/

NO Ebikes and gravel Bikes

After discussion with the safety officer and medical team – a decision has been made NOT to allow Ebikes and Gravel Bikes to participate in this event. This is for safety reasons due to the size of the existing field and the technicality and speed of the downhills and route in general. Although these bikes may work for experienced riders – the concern lies with the fun / less experienced riders and the speed / descents / drop off’s on the route. The medical team is large and generally works very hard to take care of the riders – and we do not wish to add any more pressure or risk to the event dynamic

Since there is no definition of a "gravel bike" this rule is going to need some clarification.

It's been done before on a CX bike, are those now banned?

Wonder if i will be allowed on my vintage Nisiki ... I will be a great risk on that than on a gravel bike

Edited by smerds

I think it's pretty clear they want to make the route safe and less admin for everyone, including themselves.

While it may be cool to do it on the Nishiki Ultron, if you're running tubes and rim brakes, you might not enjoy the ride as much as you would doing it on a regular bike like they suggest.

But, there will always be those who buck the prescribed regulations whose favourite words are 'but technically.....'

If you want to be more hardcore than everyone else, ride a rigid SS or a dirt jumper... but just make sure it's tubeless and has disc brakes for YOUR sake. Advances in basic technology really have given us avenues to enjoy these things way more than we used to.

Wonder if i will be allowed on my vintage Nisiki ... I will be a great risk on that than on a gravel bike

I think it's pretty clear they want to make the route safe and less admin for everyone, including themselves.

While it may be cool to do it on the Nishiki Ultron, if you're running tubes and rim brakes, you might not enjoy the ride as much as you would doing it on a regular bike like they suggest.

But, there will always be those who buck the prescribed regulations whose favourite words are 'but technically.....'

If you want to be more hardcore than everyone else, ride a rigid SS or a dirt jumper... but just make sure it's tubeless and has disc brakes for YOUR sake. Advances in basic technology really have given us avenues to enjoy these things way more than we used to.

The e-bike bit I can understand as handling one of those scooters between normal bikes on a route you probably require more skill than handling a gravel bike.

The safety is a real concern however riding the k2c on a gravel bike is not purely to race it, plenty of fun on the day on the bike of your choice ... I see nothing about unicycles in the FAQ.

Racing or not I have never finished in time for a hot shower in Knysna, doubt using a gravel bike will make any difference  :whistling:

Well if Kevin can ride, surely they can allow gravel bikes.

and he got a 1month ban from riding that didn't he!!

Any excuse to ride my version of a gravel bike (hardtail with a laugh for and 45c wheels) but I choose my dual sus. This is my favourite race, it's doable but why?  If you are tough like some, or have a nice beard and hat collection, just keep it in one gear or face your seat backwards.  That should make it uncomfortable enough 

The Flat Earthers Barrers really are getting silly. I think they just get grumpy when the guy with the beard rings his bell to pass on the descents...

Ride whatever bike makes you happy, and stop giving people s*&t for their choice.

If an event doesn't want your money, there are plenty that do.

I will never understand this them-and-us mentality, whether it is roady/MTBer, gravel/flatbarrer, whatever. Just. Ride. 

Edited by Tim Brink