Budget Road Bike

Gringo

Hi All,

Any advice on a decent spec'd road bike with a budget of R 15,000

Thanks

Edited by Gringo

For around R15000 you ought to be able to get an 11 speed Merida Reacto or a Scott CR1 second hand, a standard specced Giant Contend new, heck I'd say if you don't mind second hand, there are frequently great value sales to be had on bikehub.

shortcut link in case you haven't checked already:
https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/category/5-road-bikes/page-20?sort=price
It'll take you to bikes at around R13000 as of 29 April 2019.

Edited by Dirkitech

Interesting topic, I'll follow this one.

Yesterday I was commenting to my wife that all the bikes around me during the ER classic were all 10 to 100 times more expensive than my steed.

A short while later when we were on our way out we passed a commuter entering our neighbourhood on the exact same frame as i have.

After that I got given the suggestion that maybe I should start looking at a newer bike.

at this price range i think you'll find:

first hand...alu frame,carbon fork, Sora groupo

second hand...full carbon, ultegra groupo

and about 1.5 to 2kg difference.

15k gets one quite a bit of second hand bike.

Equivalent new would probably be R25-35k+.

Buying second hand takes a bit of patience to find what you want in your size at the right price.

Good luck and happy shopping.

Edited by Thomo

15 k second hand should do you ok if you know what you are doing

other day there was a bianchi intenso carbon with Srecord and shamals for 20 on bikehub  ..............

but you got to be quick :eek:  just saying ..............

i wasnt quick enough .......... :blink: 

15 k second hand should do you ok if you know what you are doing

other day there was a bianchi intenso carbon with Srecord and shamals for 20 on bikehub  ..............

but you got to be quick :eek:  just saying ..............

i wasnt quick enough .......... :blink: 

you'll get a nice Italian classic for this money - pedal harder and look cool plus it could be worth a few bob down the line

I like how you both think. I would buy a slightly older Italian with an Italian groupset and be sure of 2 things: A great ride and selling it for a profit when ready to buy a newer Italian classic.  

Interesting topic, I'll follow this one.

Yesterday I was commenting to my wife that all the bikes around me during the ER classic were all 10 to 100 times more expensive than my steed.

A short while later when we were on our way out we passed a commuter entering our neighbourhood on the exact same frame as i have.

After that I got given the suggestion that maybe I should start looking at a newer bike.

Well, if that's not permission I don't know what is!

I recently sold two bikes at bikemarket and was pleasantly surprised to see the incredible stock they had in-store. They have a high turn-over, so keep an  eye on their website 

Before you buy get a decent bikefit, otherwise you will get the wrong size and that's the worse thing to ride a bike and not be comfortable on it. Rather spend R500 to get expert advice on size than spend R15000 and not enjoying it.