Oval Chain Rings & 1 X 11 Upgrade

Motard660

I don't know if it was discussed before, but if it was, my apologies and if not, your advise would be really appreciated.

I currently have 2 x 10 (Front Chain Rings 38T and 24T) and Cluster (11 - 36) on my Mountain Bike. I am considering  upgrade it to 1 x 11 (11 - 46). I would prefer to have the same ratio of gears as the 2 x 10, but in a 1 x 11. What would be ideal chain ring 32T or 34T.

Then secondly.....Oval Chain Rings? Is there any advantage in them or not?

This is certainly one of the best sites for these discussions :

http://www.ritzelrechner.de/

HOWEVER, the more you KNOW of your current requirements and limitations the better your chances to find the ideal gear setup for YOUR needs.

Have you considered the 11-50 11-speed cassette from Sunrace ?  Now you can go slightly bigger in front and still have the same climbing ratio, but helping you on the top end .... 

See post 42 - it may just explain a bit better what I said above - https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/181779-mongoose-rebuild-project/page-3

Edited by ChrisF

This is certainly one of the best sites for these discussions :

http://www.ritzelrechner.de/

HOWEVER, the more you KNOW of your current requirements and limitations the better your chances to find the ideal gear setup for YOUR needs.

Have you considered the 11-50 11-speed cassette from Sunrace ?  Now you can go slightly bigger in front and still have the same climbing ratio, but helping you on the top end .... 

See post 42 - it may just explain a bit better what I said above - https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/181779-mongoose-rebuild-project/page-3

I like the Sunrace 11 - 50 idea, but unfortunately i am looking at an upgrade kit that comes with an 11-42. Maybe when replacing the cassette, i can change over to a bigger one at the back. 

Jip .... we were also looking at an "upgrade kit" .... eventually decided to rather go for the individual components.

Would be interesting to speak to a company such as Evobikes .... I am sure they can swop out the components of the "standard upgrade kit" if asked nicely ....

The sad reality is that a 1x still has less "range" than a 2x setup, even less so with the 11-42 cassette.  With the 11-50 we loose out about 3% in range, that is okay.  But hey, many dont need nor use the full range !!  Absolutely essential to note the gears you use\need at either end for your type of riding.  Then it is easy to check on these calculators if a 1x can satisfy your needs.

I don't know if it was discussed before, but if it was, my apologies and if not, your advise would be really appreciated.

I currently have 2 x 10 (Front Chain Rings 38T and 24T) and Cluster (11 - 36) on my Mountain Bike. I am considering  upgrade it to 1 x 11 (11 - 46). I would prefer to have the same ratio of gears as the 2 x 10, but in a 1 x 11. What would be ideal chain ring 32T or 34T.

It hardly bears asking, but we all assume this for a 29er. If not then the answers will differ.

Oval is definitely a good idea. I feel it really makes a difference on the climbs - currently run ovals on my mtb and tandem. with your suggested ratios the 34t is on the heavier/stronger side and 32 on the lighter/easier end. Grade yourself :D Also I suspect you may end up owning both - I tend to change mine back and forth depending where I'm riding. 

It hardly bears asking, but we all assume this for a 29er. If not then the answers will differ.

Oval is definitely a good idea. I feel it really makes a difference on the climbs - currently run ovals on my mtb and tandem. with your suggested ratios the 34t is on the heavier/stronger side and 32 on the lighter/easier end. Grade yourself :D Also I suspect you may end up owning both - I tend to change mine back and forth depending where I'm riding. 

Yes, my apologies. 

Actually it is for two bikes. 29er and then my wife 27.5. Currently they have exactly the same group set on.

I have an E-thirteen 9-46 in very good condition available if anyone is interested. Awesome range and perfect with a 34 up front.

Edited by cadenceblur

I have an E-thirteen 9-46 in very good condition available if anyone is interested. Awesome range and perfect with a 34 up front.

they have great range but the OP would have to change freebody if his hub's can be changed and that ads a lot of cost! plus e-thirteen cassettes are very expensive compared with Shimano and Sunrace.

i rode 2019 Epic on a rapide 32 oval with 11 x 46 sunrace  cassette .Only for the steepest climbs i felt i needed a 50 at the back .i am convinced that the oval is better for my riding .I considered a 11 x 50 sunrace but it does not work with a original 2 x 11 shimano derailleur 

don't you have to change the freebody for that?

Asked and answered

Edited by TDFN

i rode 2019 Epic on a rapide 32 oval with 11 x 46 sunrace  cassette .Only for the steepest climbs i felt i needed a 50 at the back .i am convinced that the oval is better for my riding .I considered a 11 x 50 sunrace but it does not work with a original 2 x 11 shimano derailleur

Will a 50 work with a original 1 x 11 derailleur?

Edited by Motard660

Nor the 1 x 11 Sh1tmano. I keep trying though.

I have 11 - 50 with a 36 up front, am unfit and nearly died the last weekend, but I think for most a 34 with an 11 - 50 would be perfect.

Nor the 1 x 11 Sh1tmano. I keep trying though.

I have 11 - 50 with a 36 up front, am unfit and nearly died the last weekend, but I think for most a 34 with an 11 - 50 would be perfect.

I went from 34 oval to 32 for Epic .Worked out well for me