Oval Chain Rings & 1 X 11 Upgrade

Motard660

Will a 50 work with a original 1 x 11 derailleur?

Yes, it will work, but its a massively stretched system and will degrade the shifting over all of your gears due to the B screw needing to be cranked all the way in to clear the 50T.  Remember that the 11sp RD's were designed with 42T cassettes in mind.  They can quite comfortably do a 46T cassette but the stretch to 50T is too great in my opinion.  

I've fitted the 50T to an XT and XTR RD's as well as XX1 - they all 'worked' (not well) but were all flawless with the 46T cassette instead.

I run oval chainrings and have no intention of going back to a round ring - 32T most of the time and 34T if I'm doing something long (gran fondo +) where I find the ratios better for grinding out miles.  

Running a 34 oval up front on both my bikes. Both is 650b.

My enduro rig is running a sunrace 11-50 with a shimano slx gs m7000 rd.

And my hardtail is running a sunrace

11-46 with a Sram X1 horizon rd.

Just went 1 x11 on my hardtail so can't comment on the 11-46 with the 34T up steep climbs.

But on my enduro rig with the 11-50, i can climb anything so far. Only gripe i have with it is occasional chain drops in steep technical switchback climbs if I "back pedal" to keep balance.

Best thing is to maybe put together a kit from spares in stead of buying an upgrade kit. Most 11 speed rd's are limited to a 42T max capacity.

Go for a Sram NX/GX rd or Shimano M7000 GS (SLX) or the M8000 GS (XT) rd with a sunrace 11-46 (stay away from xt, K## gear ratios) or a 11-50 from sunrace too. And get yourself a 30,32 and 34T oval chainrings from Rapide. That way you can play with your gear ratios depending on your fitness/strength or terrain

Think a 34T with 11-46 is all the gears you will need. I ride an oval and it is much easier on my knees. Also "feels" like I climb better on an oval

Was gonna respond in nearly the exact words. I experienced the exact same thing when i changed from 2 x 10 to 1 X 11. I since gone to 1 X 12 but still run a 34t oval more than enough ratio on the flats and the climbs - and i suck at climbing

I love my oval. Running a 1x10 34T front and 11-42 rear. Looking at going 1x11 wit a 36T front and 11-46 rear.

I am a relatively strong climber and find I run out of top end on the flats.

You have to adapt to suite your needs.

Yes, it will work, but its a massively stretched system and will degrade the shifting over all of your gears due to the B screw needing to be cranked all the way in to clear the 50T.  Remember that the 11sp RD's were designed with 42T cassettes in mind.  They can quite comfortably do a 46T cassette but the stretch to 50T is too great in my opinion.  

I've fitted the 50T to an XT and XTR RD's as well as XX1 - they all 'worked' (not well) but were all flawless with the 46T cassette instead.

I run oval chainrings and have no intention of going back to a round ring - 32T most of the time and 34T if I'm doing something long (gran fondo +) where I find the ratios better for grinding out miles.  

Interesting ....

We bought the XT shifter and derailure to use with the 11-50 11-speed Sunrace - as advised by my LBS.  To be fitted when we get the frame back from the painters ....

HOWEVER - my LBS did advise me to go for the longest chain possible, couple of links longer than the classic "+4" approach ..... according to my LBS it helps to determine the chain length on the small wheel at the back, with the least amount of stretch on swing-arm.  This in turn means less stretch when on the largest wheel at the back .... HOPING this makes for smooth(er) shifting ...

34 up front and 11-46 at the back for me snd I'm not super strong.

I tried the 32, but changed it to 34 after a couple of rides.

I used to have a 1x10 with a 32T oval in the front on my 26er  :D. I then built a 29er with a 1x11 and 34T oval. For me, (this is my experience) - I found that the 34T makes me considerably slower on the climbs because you try to conserve so you automatically use a smaller gear and then end up spinning more than needed. 

I then swopped the cranks (BCD's on the chainrings are different) and that to me is the sweet spot. A 32T oval in the front with a 11-46T at the back. I climb much stronger and faster and never feel that I do not enough gears.

To me a 2x10 config is very annoying and you always fiddle to get the right gear - hence why I went with the 1x10  :whistling:

Another question.....

Do you require spacers on the chainring when converting from 2x10 to 1x11. XT crank.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Motard. As I understand the chainrings for 2x are different than 1x. I dont think spacers are required when fitting the 2x rings. As I remember it the SLX and XT cranks can be changed between 2x and 1x.