Garmin 45, 245 and 945

shaper

Just ordered the 945. Awaiting courier delivery details.

Only thing I'm concerned about this watch is the epoxy resin in the optical HRM, I've seen MANY online complaints about it. My 935 did the same, but I don't think it affected the sensor. I went ahead with my order regardless.

I hope Garmin knows that if this happens I'll be paying them a visit! 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really happy with it, first and foremost the shape, lightness (weight) interchangeable straps, buttons (over touch screen) and narrow-ish bezels were all I was initially looking for in my first Garmin. And that's coming from a long time G-Shock user. The battery life lasts really long, 5 days with 2 long runs. It has great smartwatch features which I don't use. About two weeks ago I really experienced the wow factor when I did a overnight hike in Ceres, using a pre-loaded map the watch did a great job at navigating even though it's not really meant for navigation. So all in all, really good watch. Its about R2k less in USA if you ever looking at getting a Garmin and know someone coming from the States...

Is this the one where you load the music onto the device via USB?

Also, can you change the song from the watch? Obs you can change it via the ear set. 

Anyone know where I can find a screen protector for the FR 945 in Cape Town?  Most places try to sell me the ones for the 935, but numerous reviews report that these just don't fit the 945 properly. 

I'm using these ones from Takealot: https://www.takealot.com/2-x-enkay-tempered-glass-film-for-garmin-forerunner-935-945/PLID54503522

But, they didn't fit properly at first. I had to sand it down a bit to get it to fit. Just used insulation tape to clean the particles from the sanding off the adhesive side and it stuck on fine. I haven't taken it swimming yet though, I think that will be the real test of how well it fits.

Have had the 945 since July and use the these https://www.takealot.com/jbl-endurance-sprint-wireless-waterproof-sports-headphones-lime/PLID52342063

Plenty loud enough and no drops

Edit: only thing that does anoy me is when using on a run, every km i get a tiny screech notification then a voice telling me stats for that km in my ear. Same when at the gym, when using garmin strength workout to record my reps, every time you hit the lap button to rest between sets and then the lap button to start the next set, i get the screetch sound in my ear. This overrides the song for a second or two..... i still have to figure out how to switch off notification whilst during a workout

Even though I don't have this device yet, I don't see an issue with this, in fact, I train like this.

AS LONG AS the volume doesn't blow your ears off! 

Just ordered the 945. Awaiting courier delivery details.

Only thing I'm concerned about this watch is the epoxy resin in the optical HRM, I've seen MANY online complaints about it. My 935 did the same, but I don't think it affected the sensor. I went ahead with my order regardless.

I hope Garmin knows that if this happens I'll be paying them a visit! 

Have this issue with mine, have cracks in the epoxy, but from what can see there is glass underneath and have been using it for a couple of weeks like this 24/7 including swimming 3 times a week without issue.

Also read the online complaints.  Will wait until it either stops working or is close to end of warranty and then speak Garmin

Have this issue with mine, have cracks in the epoxy, but from what can see there is glass underneath and have been using it for a couple of weeks like this 24/7 including swimming 3 times a week without issue.

Also read the online complaints.  Will wait until it either stops working or is close to end of warranty and then speak Garmin

Alright, so I should make my booking at Garmin walk in centre now  :whistling:  :whistling:  :whistling:

Even though I don't have this device yet, I don't see an issue with this, in fact, I train like this.

AS LONG AS the volume doesn't blow your ears off! 

It's annoying, trust me!!

I'm using these ones from Takealot: https://www.takealot.com/2-x-enkay-tempered-glass-film-for-garmin-forerunner-935-945/PLID54503522

But, they didn't fit properly at first. I had to sand it down a bit to get it to fit. Just used insulation tape to clean the particles from the sanding off the adhesive side and it stuck on fine. I haven't taken it swimming yet though, I think that will be the real test of how well it fits.

Thanks.  The reviews however state that they don't properly fit the 945, so I'd rather want to get the proper one (they do exist - Brotect makes them).  However, I've been unable to find them in Cape Town, and the only bike shop online that stocks them, charges R350 plus R100+ for delivery - which I think is quite steep (a 3-pack costs 5.89 pounds - about R100). 

Thanks.  The reviews however state that they don't properly fit the 945, so I'd rather want to get the proper one (they do exist - Brotect makes them).  However, I've been unable to find them in Cape Town, and the only bike shop online that stocks them, charges R350 plus R100+ for delivery - which I think is quite steep (a 3-pack costs 5.89 pounds - about R100). 

The reviews are correct, they are a touch too big. Nothing 5 minutes and a piece of fine sandpaper doesn't fix though. Depends on how urgently you want them and how much you're willing to pay.

Took delivery of the 945 last night, just in time for 947. Feels very much like the 935 I had, so everything falls to hand like before.

Main reason I wanted to upgrade to the 945 was for the music functionality (yes, I train with music!), and so far it hasn't disappointed. Having a premium family Deezer account helps too, syncing of test playlist took a bit of time and did chow the battery. I did however read that if you're not the MAIN account holder (of a family account), you won't be able to use the Deezer account. However, you can still sync music from your PC (iTunes for example), so all is not lost. I cannot comment on Spotify.

Now to find a screen protector, tried to look up Brotect, but no indication of a model for 945. 

• 2 months later...

Bumping this thread for any of you guys/girls using the 945.

Are you happy with the device. Looking to upgrade to the 945 primarily for running. Use the Edge 1030 for riding.

Any feedback would be great....

Yeah, I'm super happy with it. Does everything that I need (Road, MTB, Triathlon, Pool swims, Squash, Pilates) and the battery life is awesome (Unless you are playing music at the same time but even then you should get about 6 hours out of a full battery, mine runs about 16-18% per hour GPS+GALILEO every second and bluetooth Spotify music)

If you are just going to run , maybe look at the lower FR range, does the same job for less money.

Cant go wrong with the 945 though.

i've got the fenix 6, it's essentially the 945 in a slightly more sturdy case and 2.5mm added to the screen diameter.

love it, i upgraded from a fenix 3 and it is beats the older model by a mile in every aspect.  If you're running a lot, the pace-pro feature is also pretty cool.

I went for the fenix, not because of anything other than the fact that you've got the stainless top shield which prevents the screen from scratching and damaging. also slightly bigger screen.  I have the fenix 6 pro and not the 6X, primarily because i also use it for sleep tracking and was looking for something small enough and light enough to wear 24/7.  So far very happy.

Bumping this thread for any of you guys/girls using the 945.

Are you happy with the device. Looking to upgrade to the 945 primarily for running. Use the Edge 1030 for riding.

Any feedback would be great....