Strange sound from cluster when freewheeling

Shaunpr

Hi, when I am on a fast down hill and my racing bike is maxed in terms of speed and I freewheel there is a strange noise emanating from the cluster, then if I continue to pedal then the noise dies. This only happens at higher speeds. Could the bearings be finished? Ho do I fix this?

What free hub do you have? Is this Mavic by any chance.

Its Mavic R-SYS hubs and its pretty new 

That is a regular issue with Mavic Freehub. Caused by the plastic / ceramic insert A small amount of oils or grease will stop the noise for a while but eventually you will have to replace

That is a regular issue with Mavic Freehub. Caused by the plastic / ceramic insert A small amount of oils or grease will stop the noise for a while but eventually you will have to replace

Not what I was hoping to hear. Thanks none the less.

Don't ride it like this, get it fixed. I wrecked my frame with a mavic hub failure, turned out to be expensive.

Don't ride it like this, get it fixed. I wrecked my frame with a mavic hub failure, turned out to be expensive.

Thanks for this :thumbup:

Recommendation: dont use Mavic hubs. You can do better for less money: Shimano, Hope, DT, etc

Edited by Christie

Recommendation: dont use Mavic hubs. You can do better for less money: Shimano, Hope, DT, etc

Listen to this guy. He's clearly had experience.

Thanks, will remember for the future 

Thanks Jacquers

No problem.

I think I used Wynflon (that has PTFE / Teflon in it) that I got from Midas, but any any oil should work.

Edited by Jacquers