Update on Everesting World record attempt

Vanzweelism

Flip okes show some respect to van zweel. He has a massive engine... hide among anonymous names and calling him out isnt cool. Show support an Everest is ******* hard. The speed record attempt is interesting he needs a better hill for it. And thirdly his food choice just chill. He is different i raced against the oke he is a talent. Unmanageable but a good athlete... we all on the page to share the love of riding. Support him...

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Flip okes show some respect to van zweel. He has a massive engine... hide among anonymous names and calling him out isnt cool. Show support an Everest is ******* hard. The speed record attempt is interesting he needs a better hill for it. And thirdly his food choice just chill. He is different i raced against the oke he is a talent. Unmanageable but a good athlete... we all on the page to share the love of riding. Support him...

ACTUALLY with the right gearing it's easy

Everesting isn't **** hard...you just have to choose the right gearing.

It's exactly that kind of windgat attitude that has rubbed a lot of people up the wrong way. That and the offensive vegan attitude.

Oddly enough I agree with him on the everesting thing. Its just a case of grinding it out. Doing it in 8.5 hours though - that is *****ing hard.

I'm happy to support people but an outspoken self righteous windgat is a tough thing to get behind. On the other hand - Frail is a really easy guy to get behind...food for thought.

Edited by Eldron

I tend to agree with you on this one, sure we all have our own opinions on foul language, diet and lifestyle but I believe we are all here because this sport brings us together, a mutual interest if you will. Van Zweel sure does a lot of 'talking' via youtube but he is/was(not sure if he still is) a SA pro cyclist and he sure has the power to back up his talking. So why not support him?

It takes a lot telling everybody beforehand what your goals are and run the risk of publicly humiliating yourself when you do not achieve them. I am actually glad he gives info about the ride and upload his half everesting efforts to strava so people can see what it takes riding at that level.

I would love to see  a few of these keyboard warriors try and ride at that pace for 10 or 20 repetitions.

So please keep the updates coming Paul.

I agreed with you till he says it is fine to dope, then o move onto the “he is a knob” camp

For goodness sake Hubbers....?

All this guy was looking for was attention, and this thread have given him more days than he deserves.

He’ s supposedly a coach, but cannot plan for his own event...? If anyone needs a coach.. you can scratch that one...

He makes a huge hype, then bails out... and blames everything but himself...

Then when the attention faded... he comes back and does the whole hype thing all over again...

Vanzweelism, stop the “show boating”, you're making a real £00L of yourself here...

Rather come back if you had enough grit to actually do it...

“Eat what you eat... think what you think, but keep what you say....to yourself...

Edited by ChunkyMonkey

@Vanzweelism

You can teach the kids and young ones valuable lessons with your ideas, life lessons challenges and courage. The swearing in your presentation won’t serve them well. ⚠️

You have fire in your belly to take on a massive challenge. Be safe out there, man, especially the multiple descending at warp speed. ????

Edited by 'Dale

@Vanzweelism

You can teach the kids and young ones valuable lessons with your ideas, life lessons challenges and courage. The swearing in your presentation won’t serve them well. ⚠️

You have fire in your belly to take on a massive challenge. Be safe out there, man, especially the multiple descending at warp speed. ????

YOU are a true inspiration, my friend!

I agree. I’ve held my tongue for a long time on this thread, but people really need to give the guy a break. A quick look on his strava and you’ll see that he is putting in the work to try and take this everesting world record.

I think he rubbed a lot of people the wrong way when he said a normal everesting would be easy for him. Most of us (myself included) could not imagine how 8848m of climbing in one ride could be an easy feat. Vanzweel has done multiple rides of over 500km’s and is banging out half everest’s in a little over 4 hours.. so for him perhaps a full everest at a chilled pace is nothing big.

There is also a huge difference between just doing an everesting and breaking the world record. Find a local climb you enjoy and work out on the everesting online calculator how fast you would have to ride up and down it in order to break the world record (which i believe is 8H43M?) then go out and try to hold that pace for an hour if you can. Then imagine holding it for over 8 hours! I don’t consider myself a bad climber but i can tell you that climbing 1000m per hour up the same climb is HARD.

. 2 weeks later will be a speed record attempt in Somerset W.

Seems not anymore.

94476952e6a6732ff90dfd032e59c817.jpg

Seems not anymore.

94476952e6a6732ff90dfd032e59c817.jpg

Yes Philip, it's most likely not going to be necessary because this hill here in PTA is already good for the challenge.

I agree. I’ve held my tongue for a long time on this thread, but people really need to give the guy a break. A quick look on his strava and you’ll see that he is putting in the work to try and take this everesting world record.

I think he rubbed a lot of people the wrong way when he said a normal everesting would be easy for him. Most of us (myself included) could not imagine how 8848m of climbing in one ride could be an easy feat. Vanzweel has done multiple rides of over 500km’s and is banging out half everest’s in a little over 4 hours.. so for him perhaps a full everest at a chilled pace is nothing big.

There is also a huge difference between just doing an everesting and breaking the world record. Find a local climb you enjoy and work out on the everesting online calculator how fast you would have to ride up and down it in order to break the world record (which i believe is 8H43M?) then go out and try to hold that pace for an hour if you can. Then imagine holding it for over 8 hours! I don’t consider myself a bad climber but i can tell you that climbing 1000m per hour up the same climb is HARD.

1 post to date so you held your tonque ever since joining The Hub

1 post to date so you held your tonque ever since joining The Hub

I only created an account so that i can comment on this thread

Nobody is hiding.

Everesting is hard.

The current record for most Everests done in SA is held by Wimpie at age 60.

(Yes shared by Kevin B)

But swee wants to come along and just go for the fastest Everest EVER not ever having done one.

Just NOT going to happen.

My advice shut up and - JUST DO IT  !!