What lightweight 27.5 for wife

Spafsack

Hi gents, my wife's current bike is a Giant Talon 1, think its a 2016 model, its the matt black / orange. She has always been a Giant fan, but dam....its heavy. She is not the tallest of riders, frame size is medium. It seems she prefers a 27.5, i guess i could try a small 29er but she likes the handling of the 27.5 especially in the tight single track stuff. So to get to my question, if we were to upgrade, still a hard tail, something lighter, even if its second hand [not hectic old] what is currently available ? Her Giant feels as if its around 14kg, so if i could get something which is around the 11kg mark it would surely make a difference. 2 x in front is fine, she needs lots of gears. Lets say budget is 20k max. 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd scour the interwebs for a good deal on a 2nd hand bike. Just remember - a carbon frame isn't necessarily lighter than an alu one, and Giant's alu frames are pretty darn light (except for the Talon, I've just been advised) 

Alternatively, import a chinese carbon frame from one of teh vendors listed on the Chinese Carbon thread (lots of info there) and get a new set of wheels, then move most of the stuff over. Max you'll save on the fork is 400g and that's considering a move to the Fox 32 Stepcast or a SID, which will cost min 10k by itself if you're looking 2nd hand and reasonably new. 

Third recommendation. Scott Scale hardtails are pretty light, and great frames. If you can get hold of one of them you'd be on a winning wicket. 

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

I'm going to disagree with most of what you've said Myles.  The Talon is made of pig iron, from start to finish.  To replace parts to get the weight down you'll have to replace pretty much every component on the bike.  The bars are heavy as is the stem, and the square taper BB with its heavy crankset and complete drivetrain.  The fork is also heavy and is mediocre performance at best.  The wheels are obviously the biggest weight penalty on the bike.

But if you're replacing all of these parts to lose weight then you might as well just sell the bike and get something better from the start.

R20k will get you a decent 2nd hand hardtail with good components on it and will have none of the hassle of trying to upgrade the Talon.

I've gone through the actual exercise of replacing the fork and wheels on a Talon, and its a true case of polishing a turd. 

'The Talon is made of pig iron' Thats some funny ****, and its exactly how it feels. I am on a carbon, super speed 2, and yes, its dam light, but its the way it feels. If i could get her a second hand carbon 27.5 that would be great. I also agree, to change all the components and so on, is a massive mission. Thanx for the replies guys.

I'm going to disagree with most of what you've said Myles.  The Talon is made of pig iron, from start to finish.  To replace parts to get the weight down you'll have to replace pretty much every component on the bike.  The bars are heavy as is the stem, and the square taper BB with its heavy crankset and complete drivetrain.  The fork is also heavy and is mediocre performance at best.  The wheels are obviously the biggest weight penalty on the bike.

But if you're replacing all of these parts to lose weight then you might as well just sell the bike and get something better from the start.

R20k will get you a decent 2nd hand hardtail with good components on it and will have none of the hassle of trying to upgrade the Talon.

I've gone through the actual exercise of replacing the fork and wheels on a Talon, and its a true case of polishing a turd. 

Yeah, I haven't actually held a talon without all the other stuff, but will take your word for it. The crank is a Deore hollowtech unit though according to the Giant website, so not Square Taper https://www.giant-bicycles.com/za/talon-27dot5-1-2016

The fork is a tk30 Gold Air which comes in at 1.8kg, so it's not THAT bad. Certainly nothing like the Suntour XCT!!

Revised my recommendation. 

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

I just finished a new 27.5 build for my son.

15 inch Chinese carbon frame, handlebar and seatpost (ebay - Tideace).

Rockshox Reba air fork. 

Deore brakes and crank (165mm). 

SLX shifter and derailleur.

1 x 11, 32 front and Sunrace 11 - 46). 

DT Swiss M1900 wheels and Schwalbe tyres.

Crank, saddle and front ring are from his old 26 inch bike (also a Chinese build). 

Weight is 10.4 kg (pedals and sealant included) and cost about 17k.

post-53742-0-35314700-1556867638_thumb.jpg

post-53742-0-35614100-1556867650_thumb.jpg

post-53742-0-86680400-1556867661_thumb.jpg

post-53742-0-25766500-1556867687_thumb.jpg

post-53742-0-47453500-1556867704_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I haven't actually held a talon without all the other stuff, but will take your word for it. The crank is a Deore hollowtech unit though according to the Giant website, so not Square Taper https://www.giant-bicycles.com/za/talon-27dot5-1-2016

The fork is a tk30 Gold Air which comes in at 1.8kg, so it's not THAT bad. Certainly nothing like the Suntour XCT!!

Revised my recommendation. 

I must have been fiddling with an older model maybe?  It had a Suntour fork and square taper BB. 

I still stand by my comments though :P

I must have been fiddling with an older model maybe?  It had a Suntour fork and square taper BB. 

I still stand by my comments though :P

yeah, if the frame is a pig, no amount of lipstick can fix that. 

I just finished a new 27.5 build for my son.

15 inch Chinese carbon frame, handlebar and seatpost (ebay - Tideace).

Rockshox Reba air fork. 

Deore brakes and crank (165mm). 

SLX shifter and derailleur.

1 x 11, 32 front and Sunrace 11 - 46). 

DT Swiss M1900 wheels and Schwalbe tyres.

Crank, saddle and front ring are from his old 26 inch bike (also a Chinese build). 

Weight is 10.4 kg (pedals and sealant included) and cost about 17k.

RAD!!!

Presume most of the stuff was 2nd hand?

RAD!!!

Presume most of the stuff was 2nd hand?

The crank, front ring, brake discs, pedals and saddle are second hand, the rest is new.

Frame, handle bar, seatpost, headset, rear axle and BB (all from Tideace on Ebay) were: R5,500 (Invoice was made out for R1,500).

Fork and grips were: R4,000 (https://www.merlincycles.com/rockshox-reba-rl-solo-air-forks-oem-275-122299.html) someone brought it for me from the UK.

Wheels, brakes, tires, stem, shifter, derailleur, chain and cassette all from BikeDiscount: R8,500 (I live in Mauritius and the VAT was 15%, but no import duty).

Hi gents, my wife's current bike is a Giant Talon 1, think its a 2016 model, its the matt black / orange. She has always been a Giant fan, but dam....its heavy. She is not the tallest of riders, frame size is medium. It seems she prefers a 27.5, i guess i could try a small 29er but she likes the handling of the 27.5 especially in the tight single track stuff. So to get to my question, if we were to upgrade, still a hard tail, something lighter, even if its second hand [not hectic old] what is currently available ? Her Giant feels as if its around 14kg, so if i could get something which is around the 11kg mark it would surely make a difference. 2 x in front is fine, she needs lots of gears. Lets say budget is 20k max. 

speakto the lads at  Williams Bike shop in Somerset West (Ibis and Pivot dealer)

Look into the Pivot LES 27.5 and build the parts across and upgrade over time or

Giant XTC 

I am in exactly the same position, looking for a small/XS 27.5 HT bike for a friend.

Best value, by a long shot was a Canyon Grand Canyon HT, but they are changing over stock and we couldn't wait. Check it out they may have your size.

What I ended up doing is order a 29" Chinese frame, buy an XT 1x11 upgrade kit(R2.7k) and XT brakes(R2.5k) from the CWC sale and build a bike with bits and pieces I had lying around and a fork from an old frame.

Still waiting for the frame to arrive, but have built it onto a "loaner" GT frame in the meantime.