Momsen str . Help needed

Hi guys .

I want to beef up my momsen str to be more enduro capable.

1) i want to add more tavel from 120 to maybe 140 or 150 mm with more sag. Just to make it more sensitive and able to take some of the abuse.

I am just afraid that the 69 degree head angle wont be able to handel the longer travel.

2) i would also like to uograde the rims from 23mm rims to 30 mm rims. I am just not sure of it will fit in the frame even with the dropouts all the way to the back.

Would really appreciate it if anyone can give some advice or info on what is possible on this bike

Edited by hendrich

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi,

to answer your questions;

1. the frames were designed for a 100 to 120mm fork - the max we suggest is a 130mm before you throw out the angles and raise the BB to the point that the bike will not handle well

2. not a good idea, we designed those frames for normal MTB / XC / Touring setups --- so a 21 to 23mm internal width rim is the preferred choice. you could bump it up a bit and use some skinnier rubber - but a 30mm rim is overkill for the frame and will probably not be able to clear the rear stays.

sounds like you looking for more of a TRAIL HARDTAIL? check out the UK brands - they have some options that might be better suited to a 150mm fork setup.

sounds like you looking for more of a TRAIL HARDTAIL? check out the UK brands - they have some options that might be better suited to a 150mm fork setup.

Kudos to a brand that tells you that your needs are better met by an opposition product.

imo Momsen can do well in SA with a proper hardcore hardtail frame at a decent price. So many people who 'have' to import these UK and US name brand frames (myself included) for a VERY popular genre in mtbing at the moment. Good geometry, decent price and NICE branding and paint....and you will be 3/4 the way there. There are more people interested in building enduro-styled-bike-bin hardcore hardtails than steel SS or XC bikes....just saying. make it in a XS size and you'll have the dirt jump rats onboard too...like all these UK brands.

EDIT: I was SO close to getting a STR frame but it was just too limiting in terms of geometry and tire clearance. Fun Steel hardtails (as they also market them) today need to be able to take 27+/ 29" wheels and take 140mm travel AT LEAST imo.

Edited by morneS555

Well i will be selling frame and fork and getting something more in line . Its sad not into the mainstream dual sus scene.but seems its the only option

Well i will be selling frame and fork and getting something more in line . Its sad not into the mainstream dual sus scene.but seems its the only option

what babse said....that is one sexy hardcore hardtail at non-botique brand pricing.and no you are not alone with not wanting to conform to the mainstream....I ride hardtails too, hell my latest bike is fully rigid haha. F@ck convention and trends...do what you want.

post-64325-0-28226100-1557239832_thumb.jpg

Kudos to Momsen though. Replied to a query on a forum barely 10 minutes after it was posted. Good presence and sharp. Not often that is seen.

With regards do their range - they are probably best placed to answer. Perhaps they are working on it.....but it's not something that magically appears in a short period of time

Kudos to Momsen though. Replied to a query on a forum barely 10 minutes after it was posted. Good presence and sharp. Not often that is seen.

With regards do their range - they are probably best placed to answer. Perhaps they are working on it.....but it's not something that magically appears in a short period of time

Why don't you ask Momsen specifically where they are going?

I think you have to remember that it's a very small market indeed - Enduro hard tails.... nope.... not many people want them,

And yes - I do own an STR - with a carbon fork - would I tun it with a 140 shock - sure.... do I need a 140 shock - NO - 130 would be enough for everything I have seen in SA enduro wise.

The one thing I would like to see on my frame - the capability to run a bigger and more aggressive rear tire than a 2.35 Rocket Ron - this has been delivered somewhat in the second generation STR frames, but I would like to be able to run a 2.5 Assegai.... just for a giggle.... In fact if such a frame were to be made by Momsen I would probably swap to it.

Victor - are you listening? Size small please - your size. :clap:

Why don't you ask Momsen specifically where they are going?

I think you have to remember that it's a very small market indeed - Enduro hard tails.... nope.... not many people want them,

And yes - I do own an STR - with a carbon fork - would I tun it with a 140 shock - sure.... do I need a 140 shock - NO - 130 would be enough for everything I have seen in SA enduro wise.

The one thing I would like to see on my frame - the capability to run a bigger and more aggressive rear tire than a 2.35 Rocket Ron - this has been delivered somewhat in the second generation STR frames, but I would like to be able to run a 2.5 Assegai.... just for a giggle.... In fact if such a frame were to be made by Momsen I would probably swap to it.

Victor - are you listening? Size small please - your size. :clap:

I have an STR frame waiting in the garage for a nice SS build ... but life is getting in the way of putting the build and getting the components together.

It is such a lovely looking frame though, whenever I walk into the garage I cast a loving eye over the frame.