Momsen str . Help needed

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In testing the STR in the driveway, under load there is a groaning/creaking sound. I have changed the chain and then the chain ring to see if it was either of these ... and it was not.

Before ripping the hub apart, I will first remove the copper slip that I used between the frame and sliding drop outs ... this may just (hopefully) be the solution. If not, the hub will have to stripped down. I know the axel is secure and locked down, but I have never ridden this wheelset before, so do not really know what to expect from it.

Bb or chainring bolt maybe?

Nope

BB is solid as a rock

1st chainring was a 36t NW that must have seen no more than 50km before

2nd chainring is a 32t On-One SS specific chainring that has been used before, but looks spotless because On-One just make such lekker chain rings.

Will get back to the bike, just had other things I had to do (Such as play plumber ... and not the fun "role play plumber") ... tomorrow I will clean off the sliding dropouts and see if this works. Hoping that the lubricant is allowing the drop outs to slip slightly and hence the groan ... with no lube it will have more of a frictional bond.

I ran those sliders on a few different bikes and never lubed them up... dry install, like an EBB......

I must say they are flipping cool compared to a traditional horizontal drop out ... if you adjust the chain tension, you no longer need to also adjust your brakes too and it you want to take your rear wheel out is it as simple as if it were a "normal" bike ... with the traditional horizontal drop outs having to align and tension up the drive train again following the wheel removal is just a pain in the butttttt!

Check the pedal thread for grease - I rebuilt my entire single speed diagnosing a creak... turned out to be a dry thread on the pedal where it connects to the crank arm

In testing the STR in the driveway, under load there is a groaning/creaking sound. I have changed the chain and then the chain ring to see if it was either of these ... and it was not.

Before ripping the hub apart, I will first remove the copper slip that I used between the frame and sliding drop outs ... this may just (hopefully) be the solution. If not, the hub will have to stripped down. I know the axel is secure and locked down, but I have never ridden this wheelset before, so do not really know what to expect from it.

Put some copper slip on the axle - across the full length - worth a go before stripping down a hub

So after the following 

• 2 x different chain rings fitted
  • 2 x different chains fitted
  • pedals removed, cleaned, lubed and re-fitted
  • hub freebody cleaned and lubed
  • axel cleaned and lubed
  • sliding drop outs cleaned
  • retention bolts pulled out to see if it was rubbing on the drop outs causing the crunch / groan / creak

And the bike still made the noise.

Took her for a pedal around the driveway and you can feel the crunch and noise under torque in the drive train.....

It dawned on me, the flipping cog. Under closer scrutiny it showed signs of wear.

Fitted a new (er) cog and she is smooth and silent. Only problemo being that the gear ratio is too light for commuting and maybe just a bit too heavy for Table Mountain running on a 32x18t ... so going to pop on the longer chain and see how she rolls on a 36x18t for the commute.

@Kiwi ... I suspect I will be placing an order with you for some nice wide based cogs if I can not find any close to home!

Put some copper slip on the axle - across the full length - worth a go before stripping down a hub

That was the first choice of lube on the axle .

• 1 month later...

howzit chaps

Looking for some advice from the suspension gurus on this group. I bought a second hand 120mm Reba for my stf. In order to get 25% sag i am pumping it to 40psi. Seems very low as the gauge on the side says I should be at 120psi. I seem to be using most of the travel without bottoming out unless taking a huge knock. However when riding a steeper trail the fork is almost fully compressed. Is this low pressure normal or might there be something wrong with the fork? Would some bottomless tokens perhaps be the solution (currently has none)?