Momsen str . Help needed

On 5/7/2019 at 2:35 PM, hendrich said:

Hi guys .

I want to beef up my momsen str to be more enduro capable.

1) i want to add more tavel from 120 to maybe 140 or 150 mm with more sag. Just to make it more sensitive and able to take some of the abuse.

I am just afraid that the 69 degree head angle wont be able to handel the longer travel.

2) i would also like to uograde the rims from 23mm rims to 30 mm rims. I am just not sure of it will fit in the frame even with the dropouts all the way to the back.

Would really appreciate it if anyone can give some advice or info on what is possible on this bike

Maybe have a look at the commencal meta ht

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, TKG said:

Anyone got a sense of minimum rotor size on the rear of an STF?

Im not 100% sure, but I have 160mm on mine and dont see it being able to go smaller

12 minutes ago, AkwA said:

Im not 100% sure, but I have 160mm on mine and dont see it being able to go smaller

Thanks! This is what I had in mind 

59 minutes ago, TKG said:

Thanks! This is what I had in mind 

Not sure what setup you are going for, but mine is a bit of a heavier duty trail hardtail style, and just makes you want to go faster, upgraded brakes really quickly as just didnt have enough power, just love the handling etc

On 9/1/2021 at 5:57 PM, AkwA said:

Mind posting a picture of your rear caliper/brake set up? Mine seems to be a bit off.. 

27 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Somebody accidentally put gears on that frame!

Busy converting it over to a more trail centred bike????????, still need to get me a stf

On 9/1/2021 at 5:40 PM, TKG said:

Anyone got a sense of minimum rotor size on the rear of an STF?

Hi. I have the STF and had to install a 180mm rotor on the back when I built up the frame. The 160mm rotor I wanted to fit did not reach up high enough for the pads to grab.

59 minutes ago, RDL101 said:

Hi. I have the STF and had to install a 180mm rotor on the back when I built up the frame. The 160mm rotor I wanted to fit did not reach up high enough for the pads to grab.

Found this out the hard way today ????

6E2D7E77-E12E-4F8E-9D24-794E4B07BDF4.jpeg

Edited by TKG

Hi all, I'm looking at building either a STR or  STF but have some questions. The plan is to build it with a 120mm Fox 34 rythm fork but also considering a 100mm fork. The idea is to build a bike that will be comfortable enough for the odd 4-6 hr ride but also fun enough for a quick trail session at Wolwespruit or so. 

1. What are the differences other than the sliding dropouts?

2. I am 1.72m would you recommend anything other than a size medium and why? 

3. Is it possible to fit fir a 2.35" tire on a 28mm ID rim in the back?

4. Are QR dropouts available?

5. Anybody looking to sell theirs?????

3 hours ago, Blokeonabike said:

Hi all, I'm looking at building either a STR or  STF but have some questions. The plan is to build it with a 120mm Fox 34 rythm fork but also considering a 100mm fork. The idea is to build a bike that will be comfortable enough for the odd 4-6 hr ride but also fun enough for a quick trail session at Wolwespruit or so. 

1. What are the differences other than the sliding dropouts?

2. I am 1.72m would you recommend anything other than a size medium and why? 

3. Is it possible to fit fir a 2.35" tire on a 28mm ID rim in the back?

4. Are QR dropouts available?

5. Anybody looking to sell theirs?????

1. To my knowledge, yes, and the colours.
2. I would go medium, if you really want to just have it as a jump bike, or a nice maneuverable bike, a small, I'm 179 and a large is maybe slightly biggish.
3. I have 28mm and 2.4, so should be good.
4. Unsure 
5. Im looking at switching my STR to a STF, so might sell my frame, does have a few chips and scratches though.

35 minutes ago, AkwA said:

1. To my knowledge, yes, and the colours.
2. I would go medium, if you really want to just have it as a jump bike, or a nice maneuverable bike, a small, I'm 179 and a large is maybe slightly biggish.
3. I have 28mm and 2.4, so should be good.
4. Unsure 
5. Im looking at switching my STR to a STF, so might sell my frame, does have a few chips and scratches though.

Funny that. I am 1.78m and on a large STR thinking I would like just a couple more mm in the reach department of the bike. This now running a 60mm stem with a 780mm bar and the dropper post has a slight setback too.

24 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Funny that. I am 1.78m and on a large STR thinking I would like just a couple more mm in the reach department of the bike. This now running a 60mm stem with a 780mm bar and the dropper post has a slight setback too.

I mean, its personal preference and riding style, I like a relatively small bike, so have large, seat almost all the way to the front and 40mm stem

38 minutes ago, AkwA said:

I mean, its personal preference and riding style, I like a relatively small bike, so have large, seat almost all the way to the front and 40mm stem

I found that when running a 2.4" Ardent on the STR clearance is a little tight in the rear if I do not get the tyre setup in the largest splay of the chainstays. This is obviously easier to achieve if running gears vs my SS setup.