Momsen str . Help needed

45 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I found that when running a 2.4" Ardent on the STR clearance is a little tight in the rear if I do not get the tyre setup in the largest splay of the chainstays. This is obviously easier to achieve if running gears vs my SS setup.

How about adding a link or 2 on the chain so the sliding dropout can move further back so you have more tyre clearance?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, ChristiaanSt said:

How about adding a link or 2 on the chain so the sliding dropout can move further back so you have more tyre clearance?

Been there done that. It is at the optimum clearance now. A single link makes a big difference in the fore or aft in the drop outs.....I will come over and show you while you wash my bike.

20 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Been there done that. It is at the optimum clearance now. A single link makes a big difference in the fore or aft in the drop outs.....I will come over and show you while you wash my bike.

Sure, bring it over so I can show you how to ride it properly as well

On 9/9/2021 at 8:50 AM, Blokeonabike said:

Hi all, I'm looking at building either a STR or  STF but have some questions. The plan is to build it with a 120mm Fox 34 rythm fork but also considering a 100mm fork. The idea is to build a bike that will be comfortable enough for the odd 4-6 hr ride but also fun enough for a quick trail session at Wolwespruit or so. 

1. What are the differences other than the sliding dropouts?

2. I am 1.72m would you recommend anything other than a size medium and why? 

3. Is it possible to fit fir a 2.35" tire on a 28mm ID rim in the back?

4. Are QR dropouts available?

5. Anybody looking to sell theirs?????

Just to add on this - I've more or less finished my build and I'll post it once I've had a chance to ride it once or twice. 

On sizing it really is down to preference. I'm 1.78 with 79cm inseam - coming from a Pyga OneTwenty (L), that felt like it was a fraction too big, but manageable. So went for a medium STF. Running 780mm bars with a 35mm stem, 150mm dropper and it feels great based on the laps of the driveway I've done while bedding things in. 

One thing to note is the STR can manage 160mm rotors (based on Akwa's set up - the STF has minimum 180mm rotor size for the rear.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I am a bit late to the party.

i have 2.35 Ardent Race in the back of my STF and there is just less than 1cm gap on either side between the tyre and chainstay. This is a 25mm ID rapide rim.