Diamant

BMCfan

Hubbers

Browsing through the hub lately there is a lot of retro bike builds. 

And now i miss my 'first real bike'!

In 1995 i bought a Diamant from the Collstrop team.

They were out here, amongst ONCE and a lot of other Euro Pro teams, doing the Boland Bank Tour.

Yes!! The Euro pro's raced in good ol' R of SA!!!

It was the year Blayne Wickner won a stage and (dont let Pure Savage read this!) Douglas Ryder won the overall! Both of them went on to represent SA in the 1996 Atlanta Olympics :-)

Hendrik Redant, now Directeur Sportif at Dougie's team (again, dont let PS read this), also won a stage.

So did one of my favourite riders of all time and Paris - Roubaix winner, Magnus Backstedt.

I'm going hopelessly off topic, so i'll get to the point.

I'm looking for Diamant frame or bike.

I have attached two pics, my bike was sadly affirmatively reposessed 4/5 years ago.

If memory serve me right my bike was one of only two Collstrop Diamant bicycles that stayed behind in SA. I think the other one was in possession of Colin Parsons.

The attached pic of the frame is not the same colors as the Collstrop colours, on the team rider photo you can sort of make out the actual colour of the bike. Black, purple and yellow.

If any of you have seen such a bike or know where i can found one, will you please make contact

post-1067-0-72971600-1557490538_thumb.jpg

post-1067-0-21669800-1557490547_thumb.jpg

I remember them well but sadly haven't seen a Diamant frame in years. I actually bought Magnus's Collstrop outfit from him after that race, I still have it in my cupboard and still use the top on rare occasions  ^_^

• 1 year later...

Hubbers

Browsing through the hub lately there is a lot of retro bike builds. 

And now i miss my 'first real bike'!

In 1995 i bought a Diamant from the Collstrop team.

They were out here, amongst ONCE and a lot of other Euro Pro teams, doing the Boland Bank Tour.

Yes!! The Euro pro's raced in good ol' R of SA!!!

It was the year Blayne Wickner won a stage and (dont let Pure Savage read this!) Douglas Ryder won the overall! Both of them went on to represent SA in the 1996 Atlanta Olympics :-)

Hendrik Redant, now Directeur Sportif at Dougie's team (again, dont let PS read this), also won a stage.

So did one of my favourite riders of all time and Paris - Roubaix winner, Magnus Backstedt.

I'm going hopelessly off topic, so i'll get to the point.

I'm looking for Diamant frame or bike.

I have attached two pics, my bike was sadly affirmatively reposessed 4/5 years ago.

If memory serve me right my bike was one of only two Collstrop Diamant bicycles that stayed behind in SA. I think the other one was in possession of Colin Parsons.

The attached pic of the frame is not the same colors as the Collstrop colours, on the team rider photo you can sort of make out the actual colour of the bike. Black, purple and yellow.

If any of you have seen such a bike or know where i can found one, will you please make contact

There is a black/purple Diamant 55 cm on ebay now.

Maybe it's what you've been looking for. 

Link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-VGC-DIAMANT-featherlight-butted-cr-mo-road-bicycle-frame-55-x-55-cm/293449418078

• 1 year later...
On 5/10/2019 at 4:04 PM, BuffsVintageBikes said:

I remember them well but sadly haven't seen a Diamant frame in years. I actually bought Magnus's Collstrop outfit from him after that race, I still have it in my cupboard and still use the top on rare occasions  ^_^

I have Wim Omloop's kit! And also use the top in the winter months!

9 hours ago, Berttheunis said:

I have this one…

It’s a 60cm, Diamant Columbus Max frame in the team colors of Collstrop Lystex 1995.

I’m restoring it at this moment.

0B01C74B-B05B-4779-97BB-86D9CFE89426.jpeg

Oh man! I am green with envy!!!! GRREEEENNNNNN

Keep us up to date with the restoration please

As a matter of interest, where did you found this beauty??

I live in Belgium, so Diamant’s aren’t that rare here. I bought this one from a guy who used to race in his younger years and he bought the frame from the team as they had still some frames in stock at the end of the season. The Collstrop team only used Diamant in 1995, in 1994 they raced Concorde and in 1996 Eddy Merckx bikes.

It is fitted with a Shimano 600 tricolor groupset and I have some nice Rigida CSB’s to go with that.

I ‘m gonna restore it and than sell it, as I can’t keep everything ????

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...