What road pedals

The Ouzo

My current bike has Look 247 pedals. They still use the old Look Delta cleats.

Nothing mechanically wrong with the pedals, although they do have cosmetic damage (scratches), but the cleats are becoming harder to come by.

With a possible new bike eminent, i started Looking (  :whistling: ) around at pedals. Firstly i didnt realise the prices of pedals, but then there is also such a wide choice I stopped looking.

I'd prefer to keep the cost as low as possible, and if I could get something that is compatible with the current Look Delta cleats it would be better, as then I only need to buy pedals for the new bike.

I can't saw anything about the delta cleat but Ryder make a neat budget pedal that is Look Keo cleat compatible if you want to keep costs down. I've not tried them but they look neat and would be my budget choice.

The Ryder Keo cleat is also dirt cheap.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Not many new (if any) delta compatible pedals available - you'd probably have to look second hand.

Possibly better to buy two new sets of budget pedals.

I like Time pedals myself. :)

My current bike has Look 247 pedals. They still use the old Look Delta cleats.

Nothing mechanically wrong with the pedals, although they do have cosmetic damage (scratches), but the cleats are becoming harder to come by.

With a possible new bike eminent, i started Looking (  :whistling: ) around at pedals. Firstly i didnt realise the prices of pedals, but then there is also such a wide choice I stopped looking.

I'd prefer to keep the cost as low as possible, and if I could get something that is compatible with the current Look Delta cleats it would be better, as then I only need to buy pedals for the new bike.

of the similar to LOOK pedal systems only Exustar are compatible with the old Delta system. Shimano once licensed the design but have since worked around the LOOK licensing and patents.

The present LOOK Keo and Shimano cleats are similar enough to allow a degree of compatibility of the KEO cleat on the Shimano pedal but not so good the other way. Even then the KEO Cleat isn't stable on the Shimano pedal.

I'd start from scratch and just upgrade the lot with more current pedal technology and give yourself a fighting chance of acquiring spares in future. Delta is way past its sell by date

I can't saw anything about the delta cleat but Ryder make a neat budget pedal that is Look Keo cleat compatible if you want to keep costs down. I've not tried them but they look neat and would be my budget choice.

The Ryder Keo cleat is also dirt cheap.

Those cleats seem to be rebranded Xpedo Thrust 7.  They are great, but the 6 degree float (red one) is becoming impossible to find!!  I've just had to go zero degree in desperation.

I have an almost new set of red delta cleats lying around. I even have a good set of compatible pedals to go with them. If anyone is interested, pm me

Just buy a set of Shimano pedals. They will last forever and you will always find cleats. One bike part where I allow pragmatism to win.

Thanks for the input chaps.

I think for now, IF/when I get the new bike I'll transfer the current Look pedals across. My dad has an old set of Looks that I'll put on the old bike for IDT purposes.

When funds are available I'll upgrade both sets to something newer, more than likely shimano SPDs.

Out of interest, the current Looks are around 15 years old. I took them apart for the first time ever on Saturday to inspect the bearings etc. Bearings turn as smooth as ever, no signs of wear anywhere internally.

So I cleaned them up, re-greased and stuck them back on the bike.

I'm really surprised at their condition as the pedals are one part of the bike I've completely neglected. 

I have Shimano 105 SPD-SL cleats on my bike. They work like a charm, come with the cleats (so not an added expense). They work well every time and have a nice sound when you clip in. I wouldn't recommend anything other than the 105 or Ultegra, as the lower models aren't as durable. And the Dura Ace model is very expensive. 105 is a good value for money.