Forthelove misleading, incorrect dodgy seller on bikehub

throttles

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hahahahaha I would suggest most Std transfers between strangers take place on the weekend and it's usually pretty immediate.... Going to wait for v12man or another doctor to confirm......  :whistling:  :eek:

Symptoms may however take some time to manifest....

Interesting thread .... and interesting responses ...

Am I the only one "worried" by the fact that the buyer misrepresented his "immediate payment" ?

Clearly this story has THREE sides .... not sure we are privvy to the FULL truth ....

that said, in FULL agreement about the multitude of posts regarding the onus on the seller to ensure the REAL condition of items are clearly shown in the ADD.

but having been nearly scammed by false "proof of payment" I see a big red flag .... and can only wonder about the "full truth" ....

It depends a bit. With some banks, even instant payment takes 2-3 days if you have not made two prior payments to that individual; even if they bank with the same institution

I've have received some training on the CPA and if my memory serves me correctly, it does not include private deals, however if the seller is a regular trader, then yes it would.

I'm not quite sure how a regular trader would be defined, but the legal people here might be able to advise.

What Constitutes a Regular Trader??

1.) Buying 2nd Hand Items > Mark up > and Selling

or

2.) Buying 2nd Hand Items > Using Items Personally > and Selling

Surely only selling through a registered Business (Cash Converters, Bike Market) would constitute a CPA case, everyone else including ConradS and Crain,you would battle to have a CPA case against?

Was he trying to misrepresent his payment, or did he send a screenshot of the payment made with a date/time stamp?

2 very different things. I believe the OP has said that he then went home and sent an actual POP from his PC later?

I'm always circumspect in these situations but no one should be selling a helmet like that! It wouldn't pass inspection at most races. Bin it or wear it till you bin it.

I'm going with school fees and BURN THE WITCH!

POP's can so easily be created from an excel template, ie forged. i only accept the payment when I see the money in my account. 

like wise when buying something I don't put pressure on the seller ship the goods until they can see then money in their account.

and as someone mentioned, most banks delay the first 2 payments by 24 hours, therefore  instant payments will only work on your third transaction.

Must say I've learn't quite a bit from this OP's experience. Still hope to place trust in Hubbers first, BUT, I always check the sellers ratings.

I make a note of giving feedback ratings and asking people for feedback whether I buy or sell.

Once asked a "first time" seller, with no comments if he would agree to send clothing to me for inspection and confirmation to buy will follow (based on the fact that I have a track record). I was willing to pay all postage. The seller declined and I cancelled all comms. He kept his goods but I kept my money.

hahahahaha I would suggest most Std transfers between strangers take place on the weekend and it's usually pretty immediate.... Going to wait for v12man or another doctor to confirm......  :whistling:  :eek:

Sharp, in fact, so sharp I had to read it twice before the penny (still thinking "money") dropped :blush:  :D

I think if the seller had proof as he stated he would have posted the photos. As for Standard bank, I have had payments from come through within a couple of minutes and other times I have had to wait a couple of days (with the payment being done in front of me). A

................ Still hope to place trust in Hubbers first, BUT, I always check the sellers ratings..............

There are several Hubbers that I will gladly pay in full without inspecting goods beforehand and not worry for 1 minute about them not shipping it promptly and exactly as described. Once or twice I even got a little free extra, like a good wheel bag when I bought a set of wheels. I have also had someone offer to ship stuff to me to inspect before paying him, provided I would pay for the shipping. I paid him upfront anyway and the goods were even better than expected. Those Hubbers all have extensive and consistent positive ratings, they communicate well and do exactly what they promise, every time. 

Touch wood I have never had any problems over the last 9 years buying online here...sadly there are a few people who just prefer to scam and jam...

Was he trying to misrepresent his payment, or did he send a screenshot of the payment made with a date/time stamp?

2 very different things. I believe the OP has said that he then went home and sent an actual POP from his PC later?

I'm always circumspect in these situations but no one should be selling a helmet like that! It wouldn't pass inspection at most races. Bin it or wear it till you bin it.

I'm going with school fees and BURN THE WITCH!

Timestamp on payment from Standard bank is 5 min after i spoke to the seller and confirmed that i will make payment.

Interesting thread .... and interesting responses ...

Am I the only one "worried" by the fact that the buyer misrepresented his "immediate payment" ?

Clearly this story has THREE sides .... not sure we are privvy to the FULL truth ....

that said, in FULL agreement about the multitude of posts regarding the onus on the seller to ensure the REAL condition of items are clearly shown in the ADD.

but having been nearly scammed by false "proof of payment" I see a big red flag .... and can only wonder about the "full truth" ....

The third side is the seller is a chop, as i mentioned before i paid when i said i paid..

Maybe the seller chose to not see the payment and mess me around from the start? Who know's? I have proof in black and white from standard bank that the payment was made when i said i made it.

As with being weary of a fraud transaction.. the seller had the items and the cash in my case yet still "opened a case of Fraud" against me. he could have just waited a day before running to "police" and Bikehub Admin crying foul.. but i had nothing from him..

If you looking for a third view first understand the 2 you've been offered before casting judgment on me.. I'm trying to bring light to the antics that i experienced to forewarn other buyers.

Std to Std on a weekend isn’t immediate and has given me hassles before

Payment was made 8:30pm on a monday night. the wednesday was a holiday. He waited about 12 hours before allegedly opening fraud case against me.

I do love how the seller made one comment ending with him"not making any more", or something to that effect.

He must be reading this and so itching to answer.

Come on buddy, evidence looks cut and dry.

Refund the buyer and walk with your head held high and some dignity put back in place.

We all make mistakes. Is your reputation really worth R1250??

Edited by Steven Knoetze (sk27)

Timestamp on payment from Standard bank is 5 min after i spoke to the seller and confirmed that i will make payment.

The third side is the seller is a chop, as i mentioned before i paid when i said i paid..

Maybe the seller chose to not see the payment and mess me around from the start? Who know's? I have proof in black and white from standard bank that the payment was made when i said i made it.

As with being weary of a fraud transaction.. the seller had the items and the cash in my case yet still "opened a case of Fraud" against me. he could have just waited a day before running to "police" and Bikehub Admin crying foul.. but i had nothing from him..

If you looking for a third view first understand the 2 you've been offered before casting judgment on me.. I'm trying to bring light to the antics that i experienced to forewarn other buyers.

Payment was made 8:30pm on a monday night. the wednesday was a holiday. He waited about 12 hours before allegedly opening fraud case against me.

Hiehie ....

Dear sir, your post just repeat the first two versions ....

Somehow, somewhere, communication broke down .... and your tone may just possibly be a slight indication of ONE side of the break down in communication ....

PS - I have been in the situation where a person sent a VERY good forgery of a payment notification.  For the next FIVE DAYS, this person harassed me to send the goods !!  I stuck to my guns, and checked my bank account multiple times per day (before internet banking, so it cost me a wack of time and money in transaction fees to check and check and check ... all the while, while this individual got VERY aggressive .... When this person realized that I was not going to send the goods before payment cleared, the story changed, and promises were made to pay the next day, and then the next ... This mess dragged on for almost 10 days before the scammer got the message.  So I for one have FULL empathy for the seller for the first days, until the payment showed on his side.

PPS - Last year I made an immediate payment, FNB to FNB, then got an electronic message the transfer will be delayed by a few hours (first payment to the recipient, and a stiff amount to boot).  I immediately forwarded this message to the other party, then called the bank and followed up.  Few hours later the money was transferred.

I guess I'm too trusting, but definitely use the Hubber trader feedback system. Often guys make contact via phone which removes the Hubber check?

Going forward I will state on ads that funds must be in my account before goods are shipped. This I will do when I can't run a check.

Sounds to me like Standard Bank needs to take some blame in the initial dispute created here.

Regarding the condition of the goods though: opportunist move by the seller, but it will bite him in the future, Karma et al. He shouldn't come crying here...