Forthelove misleading, incorrect dodgy seller on bikehub

throttles

Advert is still up, without pictures though.

And the seller has been online today.

tik tok....

post-27827-0-35494700-1594898815_thumb.png

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Hubbers, 

Some feedback on this issue for clarity:

• We removed the photos from this advert following the reports that they were not of the item (thanks to those who did so) 
  • We've since removed the advert altogether pending correction by the seller and will take this approach with any future issues like this.

Ratings
In this instance the seller has a rating on their profile which reflects the experience of the OP at the time. This is where the rating system should shine, however our system rules around when ratings display next to an advert mean it isn't being displayed. We'll correct this ASAP. 

If a negative rating is displayed on the advert page, it provides a signal to a potential buyer to proceed with some caution or investigate the rating to better inform their interactions with a seller. 

Use of images

There is an unwritten rule around images which some have already noted in this thread:

Use images of the actual item you're selling, not stock photos or others borrowed from other ads or elsewhere. Dealers selling new products may use stock imagery supplied to them by the manufacturer.

As a starting point we need to include this in our T&Cs and note this requirement at the point of uploading images. 

Although many legit sellers might use other images as a placeholder while they prepare their own photos, we need to set a firmer rule around this issue given the risk for abuse.

Hi Hubbers,

Some feedback on this issue for clarity:

• We removed the photos from this advert following the reports that they were not of the item (thanks to those who did so)
  • We've since removed the advert altogether pending correction by the seller and will take this approach with any future issues like this.
Ratings

In this instance the seller has a rating on their profile which reflects the experience of the OP at the time. This is where the rating system should shine, however our system rules around when ratings display next to an advert mean it isn't being displayed. We'll correct this ASAP.

If a negative rating is displayed on the advert page, it provides a signal to a potential buyer to proceed with some caution or investigate the rating to better inform their interactions with a seller.

Use of images

There is an unwritten rule around images which some have already noted in this thread:

Use images of the actual item you're selling, not stock photos or others borrowed from other ads or elsewhere. Dealers selling new products may use stock imagery supplied to them by the manufacturer.

As a starting point we need to include this in our T&Cs and note this requirement at the point of uploading images.

Although many legit sellers might use other images as a placeholder while they prepare their own photos, we need to set a firmer rule around this issue given the risk for abuse.

Question. I couldn't check after you removed the picture, but the one from the article had a watermark bottom right. Did he crop that out?

Its called KARMA ... it eventually catches up to you!! That or Vetsuen bakkie and Po.sklap !!

I'm not violent, but the wheel eventually turns on these people. 

Vetseun on the other hand...

I always wonder about people advertising that the warranty will be intact on the bike.

Last I checked the warranty is only extended to the original purchaser.

Not always.

With TITAN you get a 5 year multi-owner frame warrantee ... IF, and only if, the original owner registered the frame number via their website.

Various other manufacturers also have multi-owner options ....

best to check with the brand in question.

Spaz also do a carry over to the second hand owner as of late last year.

Both Spaz and Titan deserve a slow clap and a big bells for their move to transferring warranties! 

Question. I couldn't check after you removed the picture, but the one from the article had a watermark bottom right. Did he crop that out?

I actually looked at that at the time and yes he cropped it out and also tried to apply a filter to the image which defocused some of the background.

This makes it intentional tampering of the image in my mind.

Luckily it didn't fool Google Image Search.

I actually looked at that at the time and yes he cropped it out and also tried to apply a filter to the image which defocused some of the background.

This makes it intentional tampering of the image in my mind.

Luckily it didn't fool Google Image Search.

The cropping may be due to the image being viewed in the thumbnails and not fully expanded.

Filter. The origional picture from the other site, also had the focus on the on bike with the background being "defocused"

I do not think that poster did any editing to the image other than maybe saving it to a new name when down loading the image origionally 

EDIT: There does look to be a filter applied RE brightness/contrast when you look at the two pics next to eachother.

EDIT 2: And a vignette filter.

2020-specialized-diverge-gravel-bike-div

post-27827-0-82387600-1594874609.png

Edited by Hairy

When you are already in question for being dodgy and then you post an ad like this...

Its not uncommon for someone to get a listing up with pics of another bike, but like Myles said, most people state they are pics of a similar bike and that the real ones will follow.

The cropping may be due to the image being viewed in the thumbnails and not fully expanded.

Filter. The origional picture from the other site, also had the focus on the on bike with the background being "defocused"

I do not think that poster did any editing to the image other than maybe saving it to a new name when down loading the image origionally

EDIT: There does look to be a filter applied RE brightness/contrast when you look at the two pics next to eachother.

EDIT 2: And a vignette filter.

2020-specialized-diverge-gravel-bike-div

post-27827-0-82387600-1594874609.png

All fair in giving him the benefit of the doubt with regards to the cropping, but I checked his image while it was still up, in full, and it was cropped to remove the watermark, trust me.

Admin should be able to view the original uploaded image and confirm this easily if needed.

All fair in giving him the benefit of the doubt with regards to the cropping, but I checked his image while it was still up, in full, and it was cropped to remove the watermark, trust me.

Admin should be able to view the original uploaded image and confirm this easily if needed.

If that is the case, then super K@K@ move by the seller

I always wonder about people advertising that the warranty will be intact on the bike.

Last I checked the warranty is only extended to the original purchaser.

Just pass on the slip

The only time you should put generic photos in an ad is with the disclaimer "NOT ACTUAL PHOTOS OF THE XXXX, UPLOADING PICS SHORTLY"

Otherwise, you're a con.

Agree completely.