E-Bike next?

rx4age

My age and health are catching up with me, I am 68 and struggle to stay with my cycle group on uphills.. Thinking of replacing my ancient 26er GT Zaskar with an Ebike, I see Momsen mountain  electronic bikes on special for R47500, your opinion please, TIA

if it is really that "ancient" don't you want to perhaps try a new bicycle first with newish gearing/wheelsize etc and see how you compare then? On rolling speed/efficiency alone a there will be benefits over a 26" bike...not to mention more efficient gearing on the new drivetrains.

im not THAT clued up on e-bike prices but if im not mistaken you'll be looking at something mid level(?) in that price range vs if you spent that on a normal bicycle you could get a very nicely spec'ed carbon bike.

Anyway...I don't know your fitness level and i understand age is definitely a consideration at this stage in your life, but 68 is hardly old age home territory. Hell we got dropped by a monster 82 year old during this years CTCT lol.

But i'd try both a newer bicycle and an E-bike before I decide if I were you. Just in case you still prefer the simplicity of not having to plug your bike into your wall socket everytime you want togo ride :whistling:

just make sure you arent referring to the momsen vipa "electronic" bikes as per their website...those aren't E-Bikes...they are normal bicycles with electronic gearing systems. (shimano Di2)

these are "E-Bikes"

https://www.specialized.com/za/en/shop/bikes/turbo-e-bikes-its-you-only-faster/c/ebikes

Edited by morneS555

if it is really that "ancient" don't you want to perhaps try a new bicycle first with newish gearing/wheelsize etc and see how you compare then? On rolling speed/efficiency alone a there will be benefits over a 26" bike...not to mention more efficient gearing on the new drivetrains.

im not THAT clued up on e-bike prices but if im not mistaken you'll be looking at something mid level(?) in that price range vs if you spent that on a normal bicycle you could get a very nicely spec'ed carbon bike.

Anyway...I don't know your fitness level and i understand age is definitely a consideration at this stage in your life, but 68 is hardly old age home territory. Hell we got dropped by a monster 82 year old during this years CTCT lol.

But i'd try both a newer bicycle and an E-bike before I decide if I were you. Just in case you still prefer the simplicity of not having to plug your bike into your wall socket everytime you want togo ride :whistling:

just make sure you arent referring to the momsen vipa "electronic" bikes as per their website...those aren't E-Bikes...they are normal bicycles with electronic gearing systems. (shimano Di2)

these are "E-Bikes"

https://www.specialized.com/za/en/shop/bikes/turbo-e-bikes-its-you-only-faster/c/ebikes

Thank you, appreciate your opinion, very helpful. Was not aware of the difference between e-bike and electronic bike.

Thank you, appreciate your opinion, very helpful. Was not aware of the difference between e-bike and electronic bike.

To be fair, it's very misleading. An e-bike could be described as an electronic bike, but a bike with wireless / electrically operated gearing shouldn't be called an electronic bike. It's just one component, not the actual form of drive. 

E-bikes start at about R 36k for a hardtail silverback, but get expensive very quickly. For a decentish spec full susser, you won't get away with less than 70k new, unfortunately. The one I'd look at (Trance E) is at 80k, but you maaaay be able to pick up a deal on one if you're prepared to wait for the next year's bikes to land. Spaz should have some specials on their Levo range soon, as well.  

My age and health are catching up with me, I am 68 and struggle to stay with my cycle group on uphills..

I'm not 68 - although not far off - but if it was me, I would try all options before switching to an ebike (ie riding with a more compatible group, reducing weight on bike and body, easier gearing etc).

My thinking is that once the switch is made, the days of "proper" riding are over for good. I just don't like the finality of it.

Having said that however, we are all different, perhaps your circumstances leave you with no other option. If that is the case, then rather ride an ebike than no bike.

Just my 2c - happy pedalling, whether assisted or not.

Just do it you won’t look back.

Definitely look at a brand that you going to get good backup.

Ebikes still in infancy so still teething problems and that’s from EVERY brand.

Giant and Spez are giving excellent backup here in SA.

If you can buy new.

I know it’s tempting to look at second hand but unless you can get warranty’s you’ll be stuffed.

I know some guys who on second motor and 3rd battery.

A spez battery cost 20k just to give you an idea if you buy a second hand bike and end up having problems you need to fix.Hate to know what a motor will cost.

If money is tight the 2019 giant range is excellent (not 2018)

Just my 2C

My age and health are catching up with me, I am 68 and struggle to stay with my cycle group on uphills.. Thinking of replacing my ancient 26er GT Zaskar with an Ebike, I see Momsen mountain  electronic bikes on special for R47500, your opinion please, TIA

I think the Giant ticks your boxes.

Had both and the giant is just as good as the Levo.

Just noticed now you currently riding a 26”

It would definitely be worth your while to borrow a mates 29” and take it for a ride.

You will already be faster everywhere just with that change.

If you not happy with that THEN look at ebike

Get yourself a Honda NS125. It does the same as an eBike and costs half as much. You'll get more out of a tank of fuel than a single charge on a eBike. It is much faster and will be cheaper to service with bigger service intervals.

OK.. Just joking.

Get yourself a Honda NS125. It does the same as an eBike and costs half as much. You'll get more out of a tank of fuel than a single charge on a eBike. It is much faster and will be cheaper to service with bigger service intervals.

OK.. Just joking.

After trying the Trek Domane at my LBS I would not say no to one but as mentioned they still in their infancy so there are still issues to sort out, that and cost. The Domane which is a road bike costs over R100 000.00 and Powerfly which is the MTB version around R80 000.00. My most expensive bike which is 11spd carbon with Ultegra/105 components which i bought 2 years ago cost R22000 so that puts and end to that 

my dad is 77 this year, and sometimes acts his age!

I told him to try an ebike about 4 years ago.

didn't want to get an ebike because "the okes at the gym will make fun of him".

he ended up going on a day trip tourist thing and bought one of the rental bikes on the spot. he loves it (i think he got the wrong type, but that's just not worth arguing over).

The one guarantee about ebikes is that people will moan about it. Ignore the ebike naysayers, try one and give it a bash. what bike to get is a how long is a piece of string question, maybe let us know about intended riding terrain/distance and ....your budget. the way things are going now, a R75k ebike will be the same as a R40k ebike in 2021, but no point waiting 2 years if you've got the $$$$ now.