Carbon Wheel Repair

DJTerblanche

Need some ideas/opinions on what to do with my damaged rear Zipp 404 wheel.

I bought this wheel second hand, as part of a set and the rear was already repaired in one spot.

Afterwards I took the wheel to a LBS and they told me it is not entirely true and that they will have to rebuild the wheel with new spokes and nipples. I recall that they said that they had trouble getting the nipples off and that they will have to cut the spokes in order to remove them.

The spoke then pulled through and damaged the rim in the process.

See attached picture.

I have since then asked another LBS for quotes on repair but nobody except on guy agreed to do it and they quoted something like 3k to do it with no guarantees. I am not sure if I can trust the wheel with it repaired.

The wheel have a powertab hub currently on it, the older cycleops Pro + (weight 485g). I also really want to get power on my road bike. The hub is 32H.

I have also been wondering if I can perhaps ask a wheelbuilder to do 2:1 lacing on it, where it can then skip this spoke hole. Building a 16 spokes drive side and 8 non-drive. Or is this asking for trouble on a repaired carbon wheel? 

If repairing or rebuilding with 2:1 lacing is not feasible then I think my best other alternative is to sell the hub and also my front 303 zipp and get a crank powermeter.

I still have another set of deep sections (58mm depth, 1890g weight). but the Zipp wheels will be better (if functional)

Edit: Adding more images.

Image2: Other side of rim at same place, looks worse

Image3: I now see there is damage at another spoke also  :wacko:

post-40912-0-06521900-1557993731_thumb.jpg

post-40912-0-40906900-1558000079_thumb.jpg

post-40912-0-27919500-1558000088_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJTerblanche

Common on these older Zipps...

2:1 lacing on any wheel is asking for trouble. 

Repairing carbon rims is asking for trouble - frames are fine as they are not as dynamically loaded as rims.

Scrap the wheel.  2 to 1 lacing will not work as the rim holes are drilled left and right to give the spoke and nipple a straight line to the hub flange.  Pushing a spoke the wrong way will give you a kink in the spoke at the end of the nipple.

I would not recommend repairing a carbon rim.  It can be done but I have had mixed results when re building repaired rims.

Sell the hub or look at a new rim.  Check out www.light-bicycle.com.  Chinese and not the cheapest but good quality and support.  Only slightly more than your repair quote.

I had my carbon MTB rims repaired by James at CBR in Durbanville - he did a fantastic job but didn't seem that keen on repairing as he couldn't guarantee the result.  I had to insist and I only got them fixed as I'd stupidly bought them unseen and I couldn't/wouldn't sell them on. They have lasted well but I sh*t myself everytime I get on that bike.  

Most Chinese rim manufacturers will do as many spoke holes as needed.

Their websites may not list it, but give them a shout and ask.

Comms are also generally good.