Gravel section in a Road Race?

Yeah I am all for it, when visiting my parents I have to ride some gravels sections at the start and end of my rides. So as long as it is communicated as part of the race, I am game.

PS. Also not bringing carbon to that, my trusty Alu bike is getting that ride. 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

very cool idea. I like it a lot. Our road races need to be more technical anyways and okes need to HTFU and just ride. Too much moaning about this and that and tit for tat.

In Europe if you can't ride a section of dirt road well then you're aren't going to be racing much

Again just be certain that entrants are informed & buying into your vision of them HTFU and learning to race European conditions, if you spring a surprise on them they might just not share your enthusiasm.

Personally I have a mtb for gravel and have no plans to HTFU and race in Europe so I'll skip.

I take it you are talking about the Knysna cycle tour, I am planning on doing it. 

This is the profile:

https://www.strava.com/routes/18930534

2 things to consider, the road between the 2 parts of town are down a pass.

1. If you flying in a large group on those tight turns its going to be less than ideal, people bail even on the tar road parts. 

2. If its wet that 7 passes road becomes a little river. 

That being said, i have entered and am excited.

Hi guys,

I would love to know what your thoughts are on a 5km gravel section in a road race.

No thanks. The dirt section on the old R4V route was bad enough, and that was only a few hundred metres long.

Each to his own, but for me it's a no-go. I wouldn't enter.

No thanks. The dirt section on the old R4V route was bad enough, and that was only a few hundred metres long.

Each to his own, but for me it's a no-go. I wouldn't enter.

It felt like a kilometer to me but you right, was probably a lot shorter.

EDIT: Found it on strava and in reverse

Edited by Long Wheel Base

A few years ago there was the tour de Worcester. It had a 1km piece of gravel road. It was where the split happened every year. It was always the hardest part of the race. Position was everything. If you where caught behind a rider struggling on the gravel you could easily loose 1 min on the leaders.

It was great fun though.

Edited by Breezer

I did that 99er and have a love/hate vibe with that piece.  I was expecting it to be pretty hard; it wasn't.  I went into it (like everyone else around me) really fast.  There were lots of people sliding around and crashing or slowing to a snails pace.  Luckily I possess supreme offroading skills ( :ph34r:) so managed to stay upright and fast passing loads of people.  But that was probably a 50/50 scenario and I just got lucky that time.

Not sure I'd want to do that again on my road bike. 

I won't take my road bike to a road event with gravel. Neither would I take my HT MTB for a 5km stretch of gravel and the bulk of the remaining distance on the road.

So no thanks.

While we are at it with the gravel sections in Road races, do you guys rate there is a market for Gravel Bike Events? It might be a bit too niche, but rate a few guys will be keen. 

Thanks again for all the feedback bois!
Be prepared for some legit events coming your way.

While we are at it with the gravel sections in Road races, do you guys rate there is a market for Gravel Bike Events? It might be a bit too niche, but rate a few guys will be keen. 

Thanks again for all the feedback bois!

Be prepared for some legit events coming your way.

Think a proper Gravel Race would make sense.

Guys can then pitch with their MTB with lockouts and the okes with the gravel bikes can finally use them in earnest

We already have a couple of MTB Races that are actually just gravel races on district roads. Reconciliation Day MTB Race in Meyerton comes to mind.

A few years ago there was the tour de Worcester. It had a 1km piece of gravel road. It was where the split happened every year. It was always the hardest part of the race. Position was everything. If you where caught behind a rider struggling on the gravel you could easily loose 1 min on the leaders.

It was great fun though.

I so regret that this race was killed off before I got the chance to do it 

I take it you are talking about the Knysna cycle tour, I am planning on doing it. 

This is the profile:

https://www.strava.com/routes/18930534

2 things to consider, the road between the 2 parts of town are down a pass.

1. If you flying in a large group on those tight turns its going to be less than ideal, people bail even on the tar road parts. 

2. If its wet that 7 passes road becomes a little river. 

That being said, i have entered and am excited.

currently the entire 7 passes is very doable on a roadbike and coming from me that's saying something because I'm soft - but a bit of rain would make it tricky for MVDP and the other guy

Think a proper Gravel Race would make sense.

Guys can then pitch with their MTB with lockouts and the okes with the gravel bikes can finally use them in earnest

We already have a couple of MTB Races that are actually just gravel races on district roads. Reconciliation Day MTB Race in Meyerton comes to mind.

:ph34r: K2C?? :ph34r:

It felt like a kilometer to me but you right, was probably a lot shorter.

EDIT: Found it on strava and in reverse

ahhh, so THATS where the road is!

I was in the area for work some time ago and was advised to take the shortcut through... I never found it <_<