Cleat-screws Stripped - Now What?

wilhelm-S

I have been riding with my current cleats for the last 4 years... and now needs changing.

In an attempt to loosen them I have stripped the Hex-screws, i.e. the screw-hole where the hex-tool should fit is now rounded.

Anyone faced this issue before? Any tricks / hacks or advice out there?

Could probably drill through screw out but how do I get the remainder of the screw and cleat out? I could also damage the thread of the "receiving-plate" inside the shoe?

WS

slot the head with a dremel and turn it out with a screw driver?

Spray some Q20 and let it soak in then do above ^^^^

Could probably drill through screw out but how do I get the remainder of the screw and cleat out? I could also damage the thread of the "receiving-plate" inside the shoe?

From experience that works quite well - the head of the screw will separate from the shaft before you drill through the backing plate, if that makes sense. If you can't thereafter turn the shaft out with pliers you can replace the plate inside of the shoe, and your bike shop will probably have a plate that they can sell you or give you.

Edited by 100Tours

What ever you do make sure you copper slip/compound the new cleat screws before installing.

You wont have this hassle again.

You can thank me late :)

english please?

Or

Spray Q20 and let it soak.

Take a Torx bit of a size that just about doesn't fit, hammer it into the damaged screw, unscrew. 

This works do this first

english please?

Copper slip is a copper based grease, also known as an anti seizing compound. You can buy tubes of it at Builders or Midas.

You apply it to the bolt threads before install to ensure it doesn't seize

SPN0240.jpg

Edited by Otero

english please?

A premium quality copper anti-seize and thread lubricant that may be used to prevent seizing

Buy a tube from your local midas or autozone. Comes in handy with many things.

Copper slip is a copper based grease, also known as an anti seizing compound. You can buy tubes of it at Builders or Midas.

You apply it to the bolt threads before install to ensure it doesn't seize

SPN0240.jpg

What he said.

I live along the coast and dont put a screw in without copper compound. 

Or

Spray Q20 and let it soak.

Take a Torx bit of a size that just about doesn't fit, hammer it into the damaged screw, unscrew. 

As long as the socket head isn't completely rounded this will work very well.