MTB with perscription glasses

Echo25

Hi.

New to MTB'ing and wanted to hear others experience with riding with Prescription glasses. Do you wear protectives over, Do you have perscription sunglasses or do contact lenses.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 on the contact lenses. Makes everything so much easier.

I started with prescription sunglasses, but difficult when it becomes overcast or darker.

I switched to contacts for cycling.

Prescription lenses for cycling shades are hilariously expensive, and for MTB you run a pretty decent risk of breaking/scratching them. Also, the changing light conditions mentioned above can make them pretty inconvenient.

I have two pairs of Oakley glasses for mtbing. I cant wear contacts.

Never had an issue with light or scratches.

Both pairs were over 5k though. I had to pay in about R250 on both pairs though Discovery.

I tried Adidas evil eye prescription before the Oakley sets and had issues with them. Depth perception seemed way out with them and arms and nose rubbers gave constant issues. If you going to get it done the Oakley's are the way to go.

Edited by Markellis

I had two pairs of Adidas, and loved them, before they were the cost of a new bike. Would love to get them or any other again, but the prices are a bit steep. Looking at cheaper alternatives. Uvex apparently also does prescription options. Still have to investigate further.

Some years ago I had 20/20 vision and I always wore glasses, but mostly to keep bugs and debris out. Then the requirement were some quality Polaroid lenses and lightness. Then one day after some trauma, my sight deteriorated swiftly and suddenly I needed prescription. At work I worked in a hot environment and it was stupid to constantly switch between reading and safety glasses, so I went to the guys with the thick glasses and got me a nice fitting multi-focal setup I could wear both at work and while cycling. Expensive, but it worked like a charm. I soon started to get irritated by my sweat fouling my glasses. Several experiments later I now ride with plain D'Arcs as I need not to read while cycling. I see the trail well enough and I read my data when I get home. Dirt and sweat while cycling does not bother me as much with the D'Arcs as do my regular prescription glasses and overall this part of cycling I enjoy a little more.

I used to wear contacts, but to be honest I find them a bit of a hassle. I bit the bullet and got a pair of transition lens oakleys made up, and since that day I have never put contacts in once. It's just so much easier. Transitions mean I can wear them in varying light conditions, and I haven't had a problem with that.

The only downside has happened once: mid ride it starts raining and I can't see with the glasses and can't see without them  :oops:

I used Rudy projects with inserts, very nice but fogged up when temperature changes rapidly. Got a pair of Oakley Crosslink prescription glasses with clear but photochromic lenses now and I'm super chuffed with them. Did try contacts but because of Astigmatism my eyes got irritated very quickly.

I could tolerate contacts for about 12 years, then my eyes started to get super sensitive to them. Contacts and dust was my personal recipe for disaster - so not great for cycling.

Intra-ocular lens implants was my way forward. 12 years on and things are still pretty grand. No longer 20/20, but still no need for any corrections for distance vision.  

Always needed corrective lenses since I started mtb 24 years ago. Initially I used my glasses but eventually started with contacts. It's a far better and safer option. You can wear goggles or riding sports glasses. In a crash, you can break or lose a lense from expensive prescription glasses. If your glasses get pushed into your face they injure you more than sports glasses or goggles will.

I am shortsighted and use astigmatism correcting contacts with a lower power than my specs to allow me to still read my watch phone and computer ( my eyes are middle age far sighted when corrected 100% with lenses)

Get some daily lenses if you are only going to use them for cycling. They are more comfortable and better for your eyes

Ekoi glasses also have inserts, not nearly as expensive

Where does one find them?

For many years I used to wear normal RGP lenses. Then I switched to varifocals with Mykita titanium frames. I also have a pair of scleral lenses that I use for water activties, particularly in the sea. I wanted something cycling specific and tried Rudy Project Rydons. What a disaster. Firstly, the curvature of the lens screwed my depth perception; not an issue on a road bike but a real issue on single track etc. They also fogged up and channelled the sweat into the inner corners of my eyes. Then the corners of the lenses where they clip into frames were made very thin and fractured readily. I eventually was so fed up, I returned them and requested a full refund. I used the money to get another pair of varifocals with photochromatic lenses in an identical pair of Mykita titanium frames (just a different colour) and we updated my prescription at the same time. These are now my cycling glasses and give me 25/25 vision and I have none of the problems I had with the Rydons.