LBS and the correct torque settings

Zula

After dealing with a few different mechanics at different bike shops and across different bikes this is my observation.

It seems that the local mechanics pay little attention to the correct torque settings as indicated by the manufactures. When I asked what torque settings they were setting bolts too I got every kind of answer ranging from until its tight or until I can hang off the wrench. When I checked it at home some bolts were way off. 

Its just an observation and to me an interesting one. 

Anyone else noticed this?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yip. I had a pivot bolt fall out first ride after a major service. Borrowed a torque wrench & corrected everything myself

Was interesting to see in the XCO WC yesterday there were a a lot of falls in the wet & pretty much everyone who went down knocked brakes, handlebars, saddles etc skew but were able to hit them back into place very easily. Makes me think I'm tightening my controls a bit tight?. I think it's time to buy my own torque wrench

I promise you very few mechanics even have a torque wrench - they all have a "technique" pinky feel or wrist kink or feel or whatever.

I personally also have a "technique" and not a wrench. Only thing is that I'm not paid o build or service bikes, and only put my own life or money at risk with my technique.

A few years ago my GF at the time bought a new Scott Fs from a very reputable dealer without me present, and immediately went for a ride. When I came over after work, I had a look at her brand new bike and found at pivot and shock bolts to be completely loose - as in - I could take them out by hand- loose. I was actually surprised that the bike stayed together over the ride.  I was plenty pissed off with the shop as she could have been seriously hurt. Taking this up with the shop, they responded with "will train staff better in the future" blah blah, and come in for coffee and an apology".

Point being is I don't trust your "feeling" when working on my bike - that's why torque settings and torque wrenches exist -oh yes and loctite.

I have been servicing my bikes myself for pretty much 4 years now.  I was forced a couple of months ago to take my backwheel of my MTB to a LBS close to me as I simply could not get the casette of the free hub.  Last weekend I serviced the MTB and had to remove the casette again and that lockring was so tight, there is a not a chance that it was only tightened to the recommended 40nm.

Was interesting to see in the XCO WC yesterday there were a a lot of falls in the wet & pretty much everyone who went down knocked brakes, handlebars, saddles etc skew but were able to hit them back into place very easily. Makes me think I'm tightening my controls a bit tight?. I think it's time to buy my own torque wrench

I tighten my brake levers just enough that they are not floppy but if I crash then they will move instead of breaking.

My brakes and shifter can moved by hand with force not ideal as they leave marks, but i do this so when i bail they move rather than snap or brake hahahaha i mean break

I tighten my brake levers just enough that they are not floppy but if I crash then they will move instead of breaking.

Ok slow on that one

I promise you very few mechanics even have a torque wrench - they all have a "technique" pinky feel or wrist kink or feel or whatever.

I personally also have a "technique" and not a wrench. Only thing is that I'm not paid o build or service bikes, and only put my own life or money at risk with my technique.

A few years ago my GF at the time bought a new Scott Fs from a very reputable dealer without me present, and immediately went for a ride. When I came over after work, I had a look at her brand new bike and found at pivot and shock bolts to be completely loose - as in - I could take them out by hand- loose. I was actually surprised that the bike stayed together over the ride.  I was plenty pissed off with the shop as she could have been seriously hurt. Taking this up with the shop, they responded with "will train staff better in the future" blah blah, and come in for coffee and an apology".

Point being is I don't trust your "feeling" when working on my bike - that's why torque settings and torque wrenches exist -oh yes and loctite.

Last year on one of my commutes to work I stopped to help an old man. He had a brand new bike of which the pedal came loose as the bolts were not tightened properly.

I have a ok LBS but every time it comes back i check and have to re torque, and Loctite 243 F*** its not cheap.  

Jip exactly the same experience, that's why I use youtube for anything service/upgrade related. You will be surprised how much you can do on your own and rather spend the cash on tools than expensive services. 

Deda did an investigation a few years ago after the teams they sponsor protour damaged a lot of bars & stems.

They found that protour mechanics almost never got the torque on the screws to specification when working by feel.

If those mechanics cannot torque correctly by feel, I would give the LBS a lower probability of success.

Imo there are too many variables involved to be able to torque by feel - size of screw, type of screw head, washer, material being clamped, thread lock or not, surface finish under the head, to name a few.

After dealing with a few different mechanics workers at different bike shops and across different bikes this is my observation.

SNIP

Anyone else noticed this?

Corrected it for you, as any mechanic will always use the correct torque settings, but these people are not "qualified" as mechanics and thus does not know why a torque setting is so important.

The correct torque will ensure that the bolt does not come loose, and that you do not damage anything by anything. The idea to have brake levers loose so it does not get damaged in a crash can ALSO cause it to vibrate loose while riding. 

One of my riding buddies' crank came loose after having a new bb and crankset installed by his lbs. luckily it was noticed at the start of the ride.