LBS and the correct torque settings

Zula

Clearly I am not the only one - good to know!

I have a torque wrench but it only goes up to 15NM which is not much help for linkages, cranks, pedals and cassettes. Time to invest in a proper torque wrench and socket set. 

Any suggestions? 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree! reason why I do everything myself

Fitted a brand new enve m5 bar myself, took into bike shop to bleed the rockshox lockout remote as it was sticking, mechanic moved the lever and scratched the bar :cursing:

I had to replace the faulty remote and ended up buying a bleeding kit and did everything myself....

Part arrived and when removing the old remote it was way over the recommended 5N.m

The problem in this country, there is no recognized bike mechanic qualifications required to be appointed as a bike mechanic, so its not recognized as a formal trade. Yes there are courses offered by the likes of Torque Zone but they are expensive and LBS are reluctant to send their mechanics for fear that after they paid for all the courses, the mechanic will leave and they wont get a return on their investment. So at best most LBS have people who perhaps know or think they know how to repair a bike.

Overseas its a proper recognized trade, and a person cannot be employed as a mechanic unless they done the trade. AFAIK, its actually a legal requirement.

Go look at bikes sold at MAKRO or Sportsmans, they are assembled by the shop salesman. Most have assembly problems like loose brakes, pedals, handlebars etc. Not something you want your kid riding in the street by assuming its brand new and then wondering why he has no teeth after his first ride. 

You are also supposed to have torque wrench calibrated every 12 month. Not sure how many workshops would do it even if they used one.

I have a ok LBS but every time it comes back i check and have to re torque, and Loctite 243 F*** its not cheap.  

Try Fowkes Bros for good pricing.

I see Makro/Sportsman's etc bikes in a similar vain as flat pack furniture - end-user assembles after purchase. Even if the bike is assembled, EVERYTHING should be checked.

I have the same problem when fitting new tyres to the car.

They are never inflated to what the sticker inside the door frame says they should be. It literally doesn't get any easier than that.

Fortunately there is some safety built in - as torque drops so does the size if the bolt.

That and not everything needs a torque wrench.

Some places it's compulsory and others a good 'technique' is sufficient.

Given the most bike mechs here don't even get basic hand tool training (let alone meaningful education), its no surprise that the idea of a torque and using a  torque wrench belongs in another reality.

Its a pandemic - not confined to the bike industry, Level of workmanship, generally speaking.

Clearly I am not the only one - good to know!

I have a torque wrench but it only goes up to 15NM which is not much help for linkages, cranks, pedals and cassettes. Time to invest in a proper torque wrench and socket set. 

Any suggestions? 

15NM Torques wrench is fine for 95% of bike assembly. the only place you would go higher is the cassette and threaded BB = 40NM. 40 - 200NM TW are expensive if you only use them once or twice a year so better to finf someone who owns one and borrow it when needed

I do not think it has to do only with training mechanics properly. Mechanics know that they should use a torque wrench, but they take short cuts everywhere they can, maybe because the boss is putting pressure on them I don`t know. It is not only torque settings that are being skimped on, I think shock servicing is also done badly in general. Anything that is not easy to check by the customer will probably be skimped on.

I do not think it has to do only with training mechanics properly. Mechanics know that they should use a torque wrench, but they take short cuts everywhere they can, maybe because the boss is putting pressure on them I don`t know. It is not only torque settings that are being skimped on, I think shock servicing is also done badly in general. Anything that is not easy to check by the customer will probably be skimped on.

I think its more a case of impatient clients.

When I was researching about servicing my own bike and torque settings the thing I didn't realise is that most of the torque settings noted on the component is the MAX torque setting and that you should aim for roughly 10-15% less. But yes, one of the first things I added to my basic tool set was a Torque wrench I think up to 24nm.

It's the whole circle really. Customers don't want to pay for professional mechanics so there are no (not many) professional mechanics and no (one or two) places that offer mechanics courses.

Right now in SA there are a handful of people I'd trust with my bikes.

DIY is the only way!

Customers will always want their bikes back asap this can not be blamed on them. This is no excuse to skimp on proper service. Stating the time frame must be done by the LBS. The quicker they move bikes through the shop the more money they make - this is the reason why they are doing quick jobs. DIY is the way to go but I don`t have time for major servicing. I would rather pay more for a professional service.

Does Specialized use torque wrenches?

Customers will always want their bikes back asap this can not be blamed on them. This is no excuse to skimp on proper service. Stating the time frame must be done by the LBS. The quicker they move bikes through the shop the more money they make - this is the reason why they are doing quick jobs. DIY is the way to go but I don`t have time for major servicing. I would rather pay more for a professional service.

Does Specialized use torque wrenches?

they use a specialized proprietary one that needs to be calibrated by them every 24hrs of use.

After dealing with a few different mechanics at different bike shops and across different bikes this is my observation.

It seems that the local mechanics pay little attention to the correct torque settings as indicated by the manufactures. When I asked what torque settings they were setting bolts too I got every kind of answer ranging from until its tight or until I can hang off the wrench. When I checked it at home some bolts were way off. 

Its just an observation and to me an interesting one. 

Anyone else noticed this?

Pretty much par for the course which is why I only use proper bike shops