How to choose a mattress - Advice please

cpelser

Hi guys.

So I'm  in the market for a new mattress.

It's ridiculous how many options are available out there... Each bed shop has their own naming convention etc..

I'm stumped.

So how does one choose?

We're currently on a firm Cloud Nine (No idea as to the model, it was a cheaper version after we got married, but we want to move to a queen bed)

At this point, we've only got salespersons' talk. I feel like I'm being sold a Merida XT Edition "because it has a XT rear derailleur"...

So any advice would be appreciated.

I'd like to go a little more plush than "FIRM" but not excessively so - we're not 150kgs or 90 years old...

I like the ideaof the Meelu and Sloom locally manufactured mattresses and I'm happy to pay a slight premium to support local, I just don't want to buy something for 2 or 3x the usual price because it's manufactured at some local place. Hoping some of you know your matresses!! 

PS - We've got a really nice and sturdy Incanca made bed with 10cm wooden slats and 4cm gaps in between, and I'll likely get a Protect-a-bed Therm-a-sleep Cloud mattress protector...

Hoping for some good feedback, it doesn't yet exist in RSA...

Edited by cpelser

Speaking from experience, once you've owned a cloud nine, you'll never be able to go back to anything else.

Currently on our second one.

A tip: get the one for heavier people (not sure what it's called) you don't have to turn it as often (assuming you are way under the weight limit)

I bought a Simba king size, Im very happy with it. 

It was a lot cheaper buying that from takealot than a normal mattress shop and its awesome.

King size extra length pillow top.. Bamboo thing option. The end.

As long as you and the Mrs don't disagree = from what I've heard it's a big deal and results in partners sleeping in separate rooms.. and thats a discussion for another forum

Consider your mattress a 10 year investment at minimum - a place where you will spend at least 1/4 of all your time there - then invest accordingly..... use the same logic for sheets.... 400 threadcount minimum....

And if you don't yet have kids and plan to - just upscale from queen to king - otherwise you will wish you had done this when kids arrive....

Speaking from experience, once you've owned a cloud nine, you'll never be able to go back to anything else.

Currently on our second one.

A tip: get the one for heavier people (not sure what it's called) you don't have to turn it as often (assuming you are way under the weight limit)

+1 on this.

Bought my daughter a cloud nine. We liked the feel of it so much we got one for ourselves and then for the younger daughter when she progressed to a bed.

Following, also in the market and the sales people don't seem very interested in what you want but rather what they want to sell you. We have been to a few stores, but honestly, I can't tell the difference between mattresses.

I'm leaning towards the Sloom, I'll go around a few shops today as well and hear what the salespeople has to say.

Being such a large item it doesn't seem to make sense to buy an imported mattress (Simmons) and it seems like there's better value for money getting an expensive locally made Sealy rather than the Aussie import.

But still, leaning towards the Sloom, you can adjust firmness on each side of the bed individually and they give a great warranty (25 years, much more than the expected lifetime of this mattress)

Consider your mattress a 10 year investment at minimum - a place where you will spend at least 1/4 of all your time there - then invest accordingly..... use the same logic for sheets.... 400 threadcount minimum....

And if you don't yet have kids and plan to - just upscale from queen to king - otherwise you will wish you had done this when kids arrive....

Very true! 

Hi guys.

So I'm  in the market for a new mattress.

It's ridiculous how many options are available out there... Each bed shop has their own naming convention etc..

I'm stumped.

So how does one choose?

We're currently on a firm Cloud Nine (No idea as to the model, it was a cheaper version after we got married, but we want to move to a queen bed)

At this point, we've only got salespersons' talk. I feel like I'm being sold a Merida XT Edition "because it has a XT rear derailleur"...

So any advice would be appreciated.

I'd like to go a little more plush than "FIRM" but not excessively so - we're not 150kgs or 90 years old...

I like the ideaof the Meelu and Sloom locally manufactured mattresses and I'm happy to pay a slight premium to support local, I just don't want to buy something for 2 or 3x the usual price because it's manufactured at some local place. Hoping some of you know your matresses!! 

PS - We've got a really nice and sturdy Incanca made bed with 10cm wooden slats and 4cm gaps in between, and I'll likely get a Protect-a-bed Therm-a-sleep Cloud mattress protector...

Hoping for some good feedback, it doesn't yet exist in RSA...

Sent you a contact

My 2c...we are also in the market for a King size extra length...

I'm a light sleeper, so 'non-moving' is non-negotiable, hence we're looking at 'pocket coil' options.  

Memory foam has never worked for me (I find memory foam pillows impossible to sleep on).  This may have something to do with a strange quirk of mine:  I cannot sleep on a mattress that gets too hot - any top layer that is too thick or spongy is therefore ruled out.  

We've received some very good service from Tafelberg Furnishers in Somerset West - they have a huge bed showroom, and have indulged us for hours while we spent some horisontal time on bed after bed - and still haven't made up our minds!

I just like how this is in the " other sports" section...

Lol

Depends on what you use it for, ey?  :whistling:

Yup great advise. King if you having even just one kid. We started out with a double bed and after our second child upgraded to a king. I still try figure out how we had a double

My 2c...we are also in the market for a King size extra length...

I'm a light sleeper, so 'non-moving' is non-negotiable, hence we're looking at 'pocket coil' options.  

Memory foam has never worked for me (I find memory foam pillows impossible to sleep on).  This may have something to do with a strange quirk of mine:  I cannot sleep on a mattress that gets too hot - any top layer that is too thick or spongy is therefore ruled out.  

We've received some very good service from Tafelberg Furnishers in Somerset West - they have a huge bed showroom, and have indulged us for hours while we spent some horisontal time on bed after bed - and still haven't made up our minds!

Memory foam takes getting used to, its really hot for the first month or so and then you get used to it.

It does a great job of supporting you though because you do sink into it a bit.