2020 Ironman 70.3 East London

fanievb

My report of Sunday's race:

That wind was intense!!

I think we were the last to leave transition when it closed after queuing for ages for a loo. The lack of any kind of time seeding markings for the swim was a bit of a mess and left me very far back in the start pen, so I got into water a lot later than I would have liked and had to swim through, past and over more people than preferred, but it was what it was. The chop was a bit rough more so after we turned at the far end to start heading back and managed a 37min swim (3 min slower than 2018).

T1 was smooth enough and was at the mount line and on the bike - got my one foot into my shoe and then struggled with my hamstring cramping when trying to get my other shoe on, so I was coasting along trying to stretch my hammy and calm it down enough to get my shoe on (I had hardly kicked in the swim as I have a tendency to cramp, so thought this might help, but no!). Once I was sorted I got going, tried to limit my efforts on the way out and didn't think I was overdoing it too much - my heart rate had been sitting between 160 and 172 since I started the bike but it was coming down slowly, so was cruising along to the turn, I was slightly behind my previous best time and made the turn in 1h40 (previously 1h34 in 2018). The drizzle was refreshing and knowing the wind was more from behind now I let rip!! A few nervy sections in the cross winds at times but managed to hold on. Got off the bike in 2h47, similar time to 2018 - 3 seconds faster).

Again smooth T2 and off on the run (my nemesis!) first 4km were ok, could feel it was going to be tough, my heart rate was high again well above 160bpm, but unlike the bike, I cant sustain that effort on the run so by the time I started bunkers and it hit 177bpm I knew it was going to be a long slog to the finish line. I had to run walk all the climbs and again coming back past buccaneers into that wall of wind, running with the wind coming back I could manage longer runs. Eventually finished the run in 2h08 (2min faster run than 2018) for an overall finish of 5h42m55s (only 57 secs faster than 2018). Finished 2018 in 64th and this year 26th - but scarily the number of participants this year were significantly less - just over 700 fewer athletes this year!

Given the conditions I am very happy with my overall time, just disappointed slightly in my run, was hoping to sneak it in under 2 hours). But I got off the bike with the biggest grin ever, so it was worth it - even managed a Strava trophy on the Hemmingways descent tied with Rudolph Naude in 5th place!

Edited by lurkerza

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bicep curls for the warm-up, what a boytjie!!

(Without sounding totally condescending) I just melt when I see disabled people doing events like this, love it, love it, love it.

• 8 months later...

Lurker , how is the sizing and quality? On my prev order i found that the quality is up to S*&t wrt t shirts..

Lurker , how is the sizing and quality? On my prev order i found that the quality is up to S*&t wrt t shirts.

Sorry only saw this now - sizing seems accurate and quality has been perfect on all 5 items I received

2 finishers jackets(medium and XL), 2 medium name shirts and 1 medium lighweight hoodie