Yes, I am financing a bicycle. No, I don't need your judgement.

pmswanepoel

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

everyone only looks at the bad...

What if he knows his financial position is going to change, and he has a guaranteed bonus which will pay off the bike, and just needs to use the finance house till then... No problem.

All of us with our assumptions, it doesnt help anyone.

I am in the process of buying a new house now, I could wait till next year because I know my bonus + savings could buy it cash. [i run my own business and know what I am in for already on my bonus :clap:] , but if I wait that long this house wont be there. So I am just using the bank for a few months to get what I want.

The exact same thing can apply to the bikes, settle early and save on all the interest. Paying more when you have extra cash would do the same. So why not. Just be smart about it.

And your point is?

The two extremes to achieve the same thing... The love of cycling

My 2c....I financed my 1st new bike after losing money on buying 2nd hand and going after " more bang for buck" . Services and repairs amounted to almost what I paid for the bike. I just wanted to ride and enjoy myself and be fitter and more healthy. Waiting two years and saving was pointless to me. After discussing it with my family and making sure we can afford it I bought that damn bike.

I paid it of 6 months earlier, went from a weekend warrior to a everyday rider, stopped smoking, lost 15kg , more energy, far less medical bills, met incredible people, rode incredible trails and roads, no stress, happy life , happy wife etc etc. My money is hard earn and I don`t like parting ways with it but I also realized that you cant put value on life, health and living. ( within boundaries)

Will I do it again?Hell yes

Edited by wessie12

Can someone please just read the title of the thread and respond accordingly?

Didn't see where the OP asked for financial advise or someone to be his daddy and tell him what to do.

Was thinking the same.

My 2c....I financed my 1st new bike after losing money on buying 2nd hand and going after " more bang for buck" . Services and repairs amounted to almost what I paid for the bike. I just wanted to ride and enjoy myself and be fitter and more healthy. Waiting two years and saving was pointless to me. After discussing it with my family and making sure we can afford it I bought that damn bike.

I paid it of 6 months earlier, went from a weekend warrior to a everyday rider, stopped smoking, lost 15kg , more energy, far less medical bills, met incredible people, rode incredible trails and roads, no stress, happy life , happy wife etc etc. My money is hard earn and I don`t like parting ways with it but I also realized that you cant put value on life, health and living. ( within boundaries)

Will I do it again?Hell yes

Wait, did a new bike do that? HOW?

Can someone please just read the title of the thread and respond accordingly?

Didn't see where the OP asked for financial advise or someone to be his daddy and tell him what to do.

he came to the wrong place then :whistling:

I see cyclelab/cwc do not put prices on the nice bikes at the door. Just R1700 over 36 months with Wesbank. 

Those saying dont finance toys are 110% correct. HOWEVER, bicycles are a slightly different kettle of toys as they are in fact health related investments and if financing a bicycle means you ride the bike you like and you cycle more then thats a good thing. So by all means finance a bike. 

Keep the payments affordable and go cycle. 

Investing in ones health while you can can never be overated cos once you lose your health you spend your lifetrying to get it back.

Poor OP...

80-odd comments, and only a handful relevant to his question.  

OP, I have no knowledge of any of the financing options you mentioned.  My 2c:

• get quotes from all of them (as suggested by others)
  • get a quote from your bank for a different kind of loan (if this is an option)
  • calculate what it would cost on your homeloan, if paid off over the same period as the other options (if this is an option).  

Then pick the best offering, after having also read the smallprint...and go and enjoy the bike!