SLX 1x11 or 2x11

Ruru

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot understand this obsession with 1 x drivetrains. 

We have the technology for 2 x drivestrains which provide crisp shifting with a minimal weight penalty, but provide a much better spread of gears.

I say go for 2 x 11

Couldn't agree more.

1x totally overrated IMO.

We have the technology for 2 x drivestrains which provide crisp shifting with a minimal weight penalty, but provide a much better spread of gears.

I say go for 2 x 11

Noted. In this case just changing the cassette is cheaper and easier to do. 2x bits are still expensive, although it gives better range. 36/26 with 11-42 cassette will have one crazy granny gear!

I say go for 2 x 11

For me, it has always been about timing issues. Sometimes the trail does not allow enough space to change chainrings on time, such as at a blind corner you suddenly reach a steep ascent. I have often been left stuck on a climb in the middle of changing rings. In that case, it helps. Top end has not been an issue as the gearing allows 40km/h easily and any faster than that, it's downhill so no need for pedalling. Running 34t front with 11-50.

I'd personally stay on 1x. I prefer the simplicity. 

Compare the ratios and buy a cassette that better suits your needs. 11-50 if you have to.

Was riding a HT with a 2x set-up and had no real issues with it. Then bought a second hand DS which came with a 1x setup. Although the 2x had bigger ratios to choose from, what Engel-a contributed is true. I find it easier to cope with sudden surprises round bends. I did change the 11-42 though. Now have a 32 x 11-46. Went with the Sunrace iso Shimano as I find the Sunrace have a better ratio spread.

Hi all

I currently run 1x11 11-42 with 32t chainring on a 2018 anthem 29er.

I find myself battling on long steep climbs that I could previously manage on a 27.5 with 36/24 FSA 2x10 with 11-36 cassette.

My question is - would it be better to change to 11-46 cassette and keep the 1x or change to 2x11 and keep the 11-42 cassette?

32/46 gives close to the same ratio as 24/36 but then there is the extra theoretical effort of having 29er wheels compared to the 27.5 perviously. Maybe I should ignore the little extra effort with the bigger wheels.

2x would give me more options, but its also more expensive and more of a hassle (need 2x rings, fd and shifter) compared to just a cassette and a few links.

My concern with 2x is the extra moving parts vs not much change between 42 and 46 for 1x.

Goind 1x12 isnt an option cost wise.

Thanks in advance.

If you're battling withe 32T F and 42 at the rear then fit a smaller front.

I doubt you're producing enough functional power to make a 2x with taller high range effective. make the 1x work for you by being pragmatic with the chainring selection

Ive always liked the simplicity of a 1x but everytime I hit a massive climb I am grateful for my 2x. Maybe one day my legs will get strong enough that I wont need to drop to the small ring but until that day I use and enjoy my 2x on my big morning climbs.

When all of us were on 2 x 10 we never had long discussions like this one .Everybody had enough gears .We also did not have long discussions on front derailleur problems either.Currently i x 11 11x46 is enough for all my riding .On the same bike i had 2 x11 11x42 cassette .IMO 2 x11 was the best .I would rather ride race to the sun on a 38 sprocket with 11,13,15 at my disposal than be stuck in 32 sprocket and 10 at the back for 150km. 

When all of us were on 2 x 10 we never had long discussions like this one .Everybody had enough gears .We also did not have long discussions on front derailleur problems either.Currently i x 11 11x46 is enough for all my riding .On the same bike i had 2 x11 11x42 cassette .IMO 2 x11 was the best .I would rather ride race to the sun on a 38 sprocket with 11,13,15 at my disposal than be stuck in 32 sprocket and 10 at the back for 150km.

Why did you change to 1x11?

My wife had 1x11, 28T up front and 42-11 at back. Got me to change the bike to 2x11, with 26/38 upfront (I think), it does work very well. Reason was she likes to ride MTB on the road and the bike spins out too easily. The 26 combined with 42 at the back can climb anything, its very easy. We rode Sani together last week and I did notice she spent most of the race on the 26 up front. I guess if you need the MTB for the road 2x11 is the way to go, otherwise 1x should be fine.

I tend to agree that a 1 x is a bit of a mission as for e.g. Sani the 32 was fine for my wife but now she has to fit a 36 to compete at Race to the Sun.

I probably was the only top 20 GC finisher at Sani with a 2 x 10 and a 13 kg dual suspension... but man I suffered :) My wife tuned me that she can't climb as slow as me without falling over :)

I'd like to stay with the 2 x but given I need a new cassette and chain after Sani I may as well look into going 2 x 11.

So my question... can one simply buy a 2 x 11 XT upgrade kit?

Or does the 11 chain not run smooth on the front chainrings (2x10) and does the 11 cassette fit on the 10-speed free body without any problems?

I'll mainly use the bike for commuting so 2x11 would be best based on the above.

After my bad crash last year my commuter is no more so may as well use my nice mtbike!

1 x 11

32 x 10/42 gets me over most places 

gravel rides i modify my mtb to 36 x 10/42

but ultimately as there were no stock I wld sugest E13 9/46 casssette then you have the best of both worlds....

I tend to agree that a 1 x is a bit of a mission as for e.g. Sani the 32 was fine for my wife but now she has to fit a 36 to compete at Race to the Sun.

I probably was the only top 20 GC finisher at Sani with a 2 x 10 and a 13 kg dual suspension... but man I suffered :) My wife tuned me that she can't climb as slow as me without falling over :)

I'd like to stay with the 2 x but given I need a new cassette and chain after Sani I may as well look into going 2 x 11.

So my question... can one simply buy a 2 x 11 XT upgrade kit?

Or does the 11 chain not run smooth on the front chainrings (2x10) and does the 11 cassette fit on the 10-speed free body without any problems?

I'll mainly use the bike for commuting so 2x11 would be best based on the above.

After my bad crash last year my commuter is no more so may as well use my nice mtbike!

Not sure about the chainrings. Narrow wide rings are sometimes compatible with 10/11/12 speed, so I guess it must be the same as 2x rings. Best to find out from experts around here. The 11-speed cassette will work on the hub. All systems from 8 to 11 and even NX 12 speed works on the same free body. Go for a Sunrace cassette - it has better jumps between gears compared to the XT. Hope this helps Edited by Engel-a

If you are not going to change anything else, just buy the 2x upgrade kit. It gives you your shifter derailleur and cassette all in one. The 1x cassette usually is just wide range and nothing different on the construction side.