SLX 1x11 or 2x11

Ruru

Why did you change to 1x11?

Before Tankwa 2016 ,i serviced my bike ,the LBS did not have the front sprockets in stock so we just converted to 1 x 11 ,34 x 11/42 .Big mistake trying to ride Tankwa like that .I rode Epic this year with 32 oval x 11/46 sunrace .I managed ,but 2 x 11 would have been so much more comfortable .With 2 x 11 i never gave gear selection a second thought !

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a 1x11 11/42 setup and it nearly killed me last year on Baviaans. You are short at least two gears when the going gets steep and the legs get tired. Riding around PTA East the setup was generally fine, but when I got outside of the province on the big climbs I was in trouble. I rode Sani with it and even there I managed, even though I was searching for gears on some steeper places, but on Baviaans I missed those extra gears badly. I've now upgraded to GX 1x12 and it changed my life. 

Running a 46 at the back would alleviate the issue somewhat but you'd still miss that 50 on the rough and steep stuff, a problem that the 2x setup will sort out.

I had a 1x11 11/42 setup and it nearly killed me last year on Baviaans. You are short at least two gears when the going gets steep and the legs get tired. Riding around PTA East the setup was generally fine, but when I got outside of the province on the big climbs I was in trouble. I rode Sani with it and even there I managed, even though I was searching for gears on some steeper places, but on Baviaans I missed those extra gears badly. I've now upgraded to GX 1x12 and it changed my life.

Running a 46 at the back would alleviate the issue somewhat but you'd still miss that 50 on the rough and steep stuff, a problem that the 2x setup will sort out.

What chainring did you have with 11-42?

And what chainring are you running with eagle? I’m planning to do Baviaans so this is valuable info. Thanks!

And what chainring are you running with eagle? I’m planning to do Baviaans so this is valuable info. Thanks!

Whats you Power to weight ratio if you know it?

Generally most average riders should be at most on a 32T chainring with Eagle.

With 11 speed, a 30T

I have 30 oval - 11x42 and climbs seem all ok, sometimes I spin a bit fast on flat roads but it never really bothers me. I`ll will stick to 30 oval - 11x42, the other good option is 32 oval - 11x46

With 11 speed, a 30T

Dont know. Can do Montague pass in about 34 min on a good day with 2x10 ht 27.5???? - could go down to 24/36 on the very steep bits. I battle with the 32/42 on 29er. Does that mean anything to anybody? Eagle is not an option for me now budget wise.

I have 11-50 with a 36. Move to this from 2 x 11-36 after trying 1 x 11-42  with a 32 uo front and found top end was a bit of an issue and the climbing was a bitch at 105kg+. 

Hence the move to the 11-50 with 36 up front.

Climbing is OK but I think a 34 would be better. The 11 and 36 is still an issue for me because when I am tired, I like to just try and grind out a big gear on the flats to recover aerobically which I cant at the moment.

Short answer there is nothing wring with 2 x unless you can have 1 x 12 with a 9 - 46 with a 38 up front. that should cover all the bases with ease.

I did this on 11-42 with a 32 up front. was a bit of an issue on both the high speed flats and the climbs. 11-42 is not the gearing for marathon.

With 11 speed, a 30T

Interesting question ... I was at about 2.1 W/kg and rode 11-42 with 32 upfront. Issue was not so much the power on climbs. 42 x 32 was not enough for my weight, but the top end was more of an issue. I would have been spat out the back in no time with a 30 x 11.

I am approaching a similar issue to the OP but from the other direction. My 2015 trance has 2 x 10, XT/SLX mix, 38/24 chainrings, 11/36 cassette and 27.5 " wheels. After 4 years its time for a new drivetrain.

I can actually do most of my admittedly short trails in the big ring, so low range is not likely to be an issue if I go modern and 1x11 or 12. However, I also use my bike for commuting, and as it stands I spin out on the downhills.

n+1 I hear you say. But my house is already filled with the families bikes and I don't want to get a new wheelset or rebuild to get an XD driver compatible 1X12 with 10 tooth.

Hence I am leaning towards XT,  2 x 11, 38/28 up front, 11/42 to be able to effectively retain my current range.

I have a 1x on the trail bike, and a 2x on my commuter.

BOTH run out of top end on tar down hill sections ... 

BOTH have enough climbing ratios ....

The benefits of 1x for ME :

- simpler operation (not as if it is a pain to operate the 2x on the commuter)

- ... uhm thats about it .... I am not racing for podium, so the weight saving is a non-issue

- looks ... I DO prefer the look of a 1x

For Maritz the simplicity of the 1x over a 2x is a HUGE benefit !!  Kids get flustered easily when things go wrong ... and then he shifts the wrong gear ... gets flustered more .... and it spirals too quickly !!  STOP, take a breath and he is okay again .... trust that the 1x system on his new bike will make his life easier.

The big secret of a 1x setup - your climbing ratio should suit YOUR legs and your hills ....

PS - I have the 1x12 with 10-50 gearing.  Maritz is getting a 1x11 with 11-50 gearing.  The range of the 11-42 simply is not enough ...

Edited by ChrisF

My answer was to just get a Sunrace 11 - 46 (on special from CWC for a song) and a 28T front ring. Never hacked for gears and could get up anything. 

I have this on my Pyga and it works really well. The Sunrace 11-46 has better spacing that the Shimano 11-46, it is cheaper and great quality. Two berg n bushes and all training and still on the same cassette. I hose down the chain and cassette after every ride.

One can get up nearly everything. If one can't, it is quicker to walk up than pedal.

On the downs, I have never really felt the need for a higher gear. But most of my downs in the Cape are steep single track, not long dirt road downs. 

Edited by Baracuda

Dont know. Can do Montague pass in about 34 min on a good day with 2x10 ht 27.5 - could go down to 24/36 on the very steep bits. I battle with the 32/42 on 29er. Does that mean anything to anybody? Eagle is not an option for me now budget wise.

Based on my cals the big problem is your 32 ad the 29er wheels

to get gearing equivalency for climbing you need a 30T chainring and the New XT 11-46 cassette

You will still be geared to do over 40km/hr on the flats but I suspect that this is not a very big requirement

I have 11-50 with a 36. Move to this from 2 x 11-36 after trying 1 x 11-42 with a 32 uo front and found top end was a bit of an issue and the climbing was a bitch at 105kg+.

Hence the move to the 11-50 with 36 up front.

Climbing is OK but I think a 34 would be better. The 11 and 36 is still an issue for me because when I am tired, I like to just try and grind out a big gear on the flats to recover aerobically which I cant at the moment.

Short answer there is nothing wring with 2 x unless you can have 1 x 12 with a 9 - 46 with a 38 up front. that should cover all the bases with ease.

Is there a big difference between the 36/50 compared to 32/42 on the climbs? ( 0.72 vs 0.76 )