Freedom Challenge Commentary

tubed

30 minutes ago, AdamA said:

How did they miss the turn?

Greg Philps is also going to have a long day... hes already done about 45km off track

image.png.9f7a8e08bfd515d974add19f5b6c86cf.png

There is an alternative route that bypasses Lehana's - apparently more riding than walking. I think he turned the rwrong way when he got to the Naude's Nek pass road but seems to have fixed it now.

The Vuvu valley where Charl has gone wrong is very deceptive, easy to make a mistake. Even Tim James spent a night wandering around in there (granted it was dark). 

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Rob Mortimer said:

There is an alternative route that bypasses Lehana's - apparently more riding than walking. I think he turned the rwrong way when he got to the Naude's Nek pass road but seems to have fixed it now.

The Vuvu valley where Charl has gone wrong is very deceptive, easy to make a mistake. Even Tim James spent a night wandering around in there (granted it was dark). 

Greg has doubled back, Mark and Charl have have gone a little further down the road. 

When looking at Topographical maps it's easy to think you know where you are "there's a Mountain' on the right, must be this mountain"... so easy to get lost   

image.png.dfd03a0af8284f1da85c1c4eade9c439.png

Seems that the race leader Alex, has had a fall on Politique Kraal and hurt some ribs. Hopefully he can still finish. He's got a long way to go. Only on day 2. 

Having said that he is at Queens Mercy on morning two, which is mind blowingly quick.

Edited by Dusty

How are the level 4 restrictions affecting the race this year?  Have they got permission to be out after curfew?  

I haven't heard how they are dealing with level 4 restrictions. I guess if riders opt to be out during curfew it will be on them. I have heard that covid negative tests were required prior to the start and also possibly being tested along the way.

some gauteng guys chose not to start.

not exactly sure how curfew works, figure it's your own risk and it's not like there's cops around on the routes mainly.

update, Alex is going to pull out at next SS. fell last night and ribs are busted. can't lift bike so that is gameover.

BUT

going to be a new winner, so interesting to see how that develops

1st riders approaching Dennehof.

A totally new experience for the new owners that took over on 1 May.

was -17degC a day or so ago somewhere along the trail. Yes that's MINUS SEVENTEEN.

1 minute ago, MTBeer said:

was -17degC a day or so ago somewhere along the trail. Yes that's MINUS SEVENTEEN.

and the cold front is still on the way...

10 minutes ago, MTBeer said:

At Brosterlea apparently. Proper cold!

16 minutes ago, Dusty said:

At Brosterlea apparently. Proper cold!

yes it's a bit nippy