Newbie here

Kage

Howsit guys, newbie here. 

Looking to join you guys and gain some much much much needed advise and tips here and there. 

So I have decided I spend way too much time on my PC gaming and that I should take up and outdoor hobby and MTB is that hobby. I have almost no knowledge however on the topic/hobby, I used to ride those "Makro special" bikes casually with some friends but that is about it.... never have I gone offroad, nevermind trails. 

Just some reading on the stickies here has convinced me to stay clear of those "Makro specials". 

I am now looking for something decent and affordable. I am however in no rush since I am still recovering from a dislocated elbow joint. H

However I came across a few ads in my budget (R3k-R4k, I know its tiny however I am willing to upgrade in 8 months should I still be hooked). 

As I mentioned, I have basically 0 knowledge so I dont know what I should be looking out for besides:

-disk brakes as opposed to rim brakes

-good branded derailer and shifters

Anything else? 

The ads I have come across for about R3k:

Mongoose tyax - http://www.mongoose.com/usa/tyax-comp-20675

https://www.olx.co.za/item/titan-249r-iid-1059276436#notificationpermission

Would these be okay for atleast 8 months or so or should I rather keep searching since I will not be riding for atleast another month anyway

First rule. Find out what size you need. If you get the wrong size you will be in for all sorts of aches and pains. That Titan looks a good buy, but it also looks pretty small.

So based on the various online size guides, I would need either a small or medium. I am 168cm so pretty short  :thumbdown:

Hi Kage, welcome :)

To answer some of your queries directly - you mentioned MTB so I wouldn't suggest any brakes other than disc brakes. Cable disc brakes if your budget is tight, hydraulic (decent ones though) if you can afford it.
As for godo branded derailleur/shifters a.k.a. the groupset, I don't know of any brands readily available that isn't the usuals i.e. shimano, sram or sunrace.
If you're in no hurry for a month, I'd advise to wait a bit, learn as much as you can so that you can spot bargains and decide when you find one that you return to several times a day!

PS: would be useful to fill in your location, that way other members can suggest local shops or bikes for you to look at too, or even lend a helping hand!

Hi Kage, welcome :)

To answer some of your queries directly - you mentioned MTB so I wouldn't suggest any brakes other than disc brakes. Cable disc brakes if your budget is tight, hydraulic (decent ones though) if you can afford it.

As for godo branded derailleur/shifters a.k.a. the groupset, I don't know of any brands readily available that isn't the usuals i.e. shimano, sram or sunrace.

If you're in no hurry for a month, I'd advise to wait a bit, learn as much as you can so that you can spot bargains and decide when you find one that you return to several times a day!

PS: would be useful to fill in your location, that way other members can suggest local shops or bikes for you to look at too, or even lend a helping hand!

Thanks for the sound and detailed response.

Waiting might be a good idea however I wanted to spoil myself a little bit as its my bday month lol

Welcome to Hubland - You won't really spoil yourself for the first few weeks if you're just moving out of Couchlandria  :D

There's a plethora of information that you need to absorb and learn before I would go into getting a bike.  

I'm a fairly lazy chap this late in the afternoon (so no essays) but my suggestion will be that you meet up with a friend or one of the folks on this platform (hence the importance of location) at a bike park and rent a bike from them. By doing that you will only spend beer money on a day out and not sit with a white elephant if you don't like it. Feel free to send me a pm if you need any assistance getting into the game, here's another link which I found to be fairly accurate to get the measurements:

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp#results

Welcome to Hubland - You won't really spoil yourself for the first few weeks if you're just moving out of Couchlandria  :D

There's a plethora of information that you need to absorb and learn before I would go into getting a bike.  

I'm a fairly lazy chap this late in the afternoon (so no essays) but my suggestion will be that you meet up with a friend or one of the folks on this platform (hence the importance of location) at a bike park and rent a bike from them. By doing that you will only spend beer money on a day out and not sit with a white elephant if you don't like it. Feel free to send me a pm if you need any assistance getting into the game, here's another link which I found to be fairly accurate to get the measurements:

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp#results

I am fairly new in the area so no friends as yet so I may take you up on your offer. 

Plus I need ANY excuse to get out of the house at this point