Trail for first timer

Echo25

Hi All

I am brand new to MTB'ing. So new in fact that I will only be buying my first bike this weekend.

I live the Northern suburbs in Cape Town and am looking for suggestions of easy beginner friendly trails to go earn my stripes. 

Also what time of day would be best? Don't want to annoy the regulars until I become one.

Thanks in advance

Contermanskloof, Hoogekraal, Bloemendal, Meerendal. All of those are really chilled and will be absolutely fine for rank beginners. 

There are a couple of technical lines on Conters, and hoogekraal has Cobra which is rated blue (semi-technical) but all of those are voluntary. 

On Hoogekraal (particularly Trail Z) - just moderate your speed as some of the features at the bottom in the gulley are not suited for speed. 

For your first couple outings I'd suggest Meerendal and Contermanskloof. 

Welcome !!!

What bike are you acquiring?

(Don't forget the helmet)

Hi

Looking at Momsen AL129 or Titan Rogue Trail. Looking to spend around 12k on all basic kit needed. I first want to see if the bug bites properly.

Contermanskloof, Hoogekraal, Bloemendal, Meerendal. All of those are really chilled and will be absolutely fine for rank beginners. 

There are a couple of technical lines on Conters, and hoogekraal has Cobra which is rated blue (semi-technical) but all of those are voluntary. 

On Hoogekraal (particularly Trail Z) - just moderate your speed as some of the features at the bottom in the gulley are not suited for speed. 

For your first couple outings I'd suggest Meerendal and Contermanskloof. 

I thought that was black graded?

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/cape-cobra/

I will suggest you go to Bloemendal and ride the trails there. Very beginner friendly, and the day fees are affordable.

Both the bikes you mentioned are good enough for a beginner, just to test the water without breaking the bank. Should you like mountain biking (and why would you not) you can always sell the bikes and get more capable bikes. 

PS. Bloemendal is almost always busy with beginners improving their skills, you will fit in no problem.

Edited by Wannabe

Hi All

I am brand new to MTB'ing. So new in fact that I will only be buying my first bike this weekend.

I live the Northern suburbs in Cape Town and am looking for suggestions of easy beginner friendly trails to go earn my stripes. 

Also what time of day would be best? Don't want to annoy the regulars until I become one.

Thanks in advance

Hello and welcome :)

I would say don't worry too much about getting in the way of regular's - some of them are insanely nice and you may just make a friend or two and learn a bunch of cool things! Go ride at the time that you'd enjoy it most

WELCOME Echo25.

Some random thoughts ...

Access to trails -

There is a R50 day fee to ride at Bloemendal, not sure what the day fee is currently at Meerendal.  You break even buying an annual permit if you ride twice a month ....  AND you get access to various trails and corridors that cant ride on a day permit.

"Beginner" - 

Sadly this is a very relative term....  Some grew up on bikes on gravel roads and adjust to trails very quickly.  The reality is that a few basic skills are required to negotiate the trails safely.

For this it is worthwhile trying the "B-fever" pump track, at Bloemendal, early in the morning.  During the day this track is used by the 5 to 15 year old kids.  After two laps of this pump track you will have a decent idea of how "beginner" you are.  Please dont head into the trails if this pump track is "difficult".

ALL you need are a few BASIC SKILLS.

If you are uncomfortable in this pump track, I respectfully suggest you have a 2 hour session with any of the following:

- Veloworld - Marcel - 082 577 1080

- Julien Louw - https://mtbskillsclinics.co.za/about/

- Granny gear - http://www.grannygear.co.za/

For a true novice I would recommend Julien Louw, he simply has a knack for this !  And he CAN train you the seriously advanced skills as well !!

TRAILS - Personally I would take a first timer to do a short section of Meerendal first, do a few runs of the mini-burms ... nice way to repeat the basics, without too much time in the saddle.

Bloemendal would be the second ride.  The start (100m after the start) has an elevated section, with an interesting climb, and a more exciting drop at the end ....  these are considered "very basic", but you best know the "attack position", and when to use which brakes ....

Once you get past this, ENJOY the journey !!!

CLOTHING -

No helmet - NO ride, this is a standard rule at all trails

What pedals will you get ?  Often bikes are sold with "plastic pedals" ... you need more grip when going off road.  Maybe consider a set of "Giant flat pedals" of about R500.  Ideally use flat soft tekkies, that can grip into the pedals .... if the bug bites you can get better pedals (the Giant pedals can last you years!) and shoes later.

Gloves and glasses .... I would say a bit later, sure many will comment "as early as possible"

"Pants" ... DONT go buy a "padded saddle" ... YES, we all know what your behind will feel like by Sunday .... Stay with the original saddle, and buy a "padded pants"  .... lycra vs baggy is a fashion war ....  Value for money - I get damn good use out of my CapeStorm pants (bought at Marks Workshop in Bellville)

DISCLAIMER - I dont know your skill level, and this post may not apply to you at all .... That said, I have seen newbies on the trails that were totally out of their depth ..... 

Stay safe out there and ENJOY the many many trails we have !  :thumbup:   :clap:

Hello and welcome :)

I would say don't worry too much about getting in the way of regular's - some of them are insanely nice and you may just make a friend or two and learn a bunch of cool things! Go ride at the time that you'd enjoy it most

THAT is probably the nicest part of the Tygerberg trails .... Each and every weekend we see a few newbies.  And each and every time these riders are welcomed by the regulars.

Myles has 37k posts and is the Google of MTB on Bikehub. For him it is Blue.

????????????????

I end myself on green trails.

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

There is a group on FB called slow coach. Join them. They have regular rides and give you all the tips and tricks that you need. They also know the trails. 

They are mostly on that side. 

If you are on brackenfells side, try bottelary hills.