36One vs Nedbank Desert Dash

Fattyboom

I was considering doing the Nedbank Desert Dash in December ... until I read the comments on the previous years events! Now I'm not so sure.

The question is will I be able to slip in under the 24 hour cut off? No use entering the solo event if I cannot meet the 24 hour challenge.

I completed this years 36One in 28 hours. I spent 4 and a half hours at the water points. So I can save time by managing my time.

The 36One has 5500m of gain and it looks like the Desert Dash has 3300m - so I can save time there.

I am big and could loose 5kg by December - that will help!

The 36One was done in good riding weather but the Desert Dash heat could be a problem for a fatty.

I did this weekends Race to the Sun in 7:30.

Am I biting off more than I can chew? 

Hi , no go for the Dash it an good experience and something totally different to 36One , you still have 5 months of good training left and dieting if needed . The climbing in Dash is less but the wind make up for that .

Go for it Bucket list ticket .

You have 6 months to train, go for it!

The heat is only really an issue at the start and up the first major climb. The wind might be more of an issue.

My fastest 36One was 19H23 and my fastest Dash was 20:03 - I was fitter for the Dash than the 36One.

One of my acquaintances weighs in at around 120-130kg and he made it with time to spare.

You have 6 months to train, go for it!

The heat is only really an issue at the start and up the first major climb. The wind might be more of an issue.

My fastest 36One was 19H23 and my fastest Dash was 20:03 - I was fitter for the Dash than the 36One.

One of my acquaintances weighs in at around 120-130kg and he made it with time to spare.

Thanks Sias and HMB3. Looks like I will take up the challenge but work is needed.

All in order will see you at the Dash , I am going to try for sub17 hr this time , missed out with 22min last time , myself also big lad 2 mtr 107 kg , going to be my first one on a fully .

All in order will see you at the Dash , I am going to try for sub17 hr this time , missed out with 22min last time , myself also big lad 2 mtr 107 kg , going to be my first one on a fully .

That's a descent size lock forward!

Nearly 22km/h...so I will see you at the start and never again.

Despite the similar distances they are very different races. DD has something very special about it. The world's oldest desert. The moon landscape. The awesome support. The great organisation. The 24hr cut-off is very doable, but unlike 36one, you have to work for every km ... no luxurious, long downhills to freewheel down. Heat and wind are big differences too, but you've got enough time to lose some weight and heat acclimation can be done with the right protocol from 7 days before the event. The DD is a great experience. Pull the trigger on that entry come Monday.

But, it must also be said, you kinda need someone to support you there in the Namib. There are no boxes and CP 4 has f*okol for solo riders.

Despite the similar distances they are very different races. DD has something very special about it. The world's oldest desert. The moon landscape. The awesome support. The great organisation. The 24hr cut-off is very doable, but unlike 36one, you have to work for every km ... no luxurious, long downhills to freewheel down. Heat and wind are big differences too, but you've got enough time to lose some weight and heat acclimation can be done with the right protocol from 7 days before the event. The DD is a great experience. Pull the trigger on that entry come Monday.

Thank you for the advice Maidenmole. I will have a support vehicle. Excuse my ignorance but could you assist with guidance in terms of a heat acclimation protocol?

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the advice Maidenmole. I will have a support vehicle. Excuse my ignorance but could you assist with guidance in terms of a heat acclimation protocol?

Hi, my experience in 2017:

Avg Temp = 22.2°C

Min Temp = 11.0°C

Max Temp = 34.0°C

High temp was at the start but dropped to just under 30° about 10 km into race. Was warm until about 100 Km into the race.

The Low was just before sun rise (I used a wind breaker from 01:00 and was fine).

FYI  - I weighed about 101 kg's when I did it then.

Hi, my experience in 2017:

Avg Temp = 22.2°C

Min Temp = 11.0°C

Max Temp = 34.0°C

High temp was at the start but dropped to just under 30° about 10 km into race. Was warm until about 100 Km into the race.

The Low was just before sun rise (I used a wind breaker from 01:00 and was fine).

FYI  - I weighed about 101 kg's when I did it then.

Thanks Deon. That's quit a difference in min and max temperatures.

My entry is paid for so no turning back!

Thanks Deon. That's quit a difference in min and max temperatures.

My entry is paid for so no turning back!

Talking about differences in min and max. Last year I recorded 2 degrees and 39 degrees doing 36ONE. This year, being a month later it was a lot milder, 4 and 30. We had a good weather window I reckon, glad the rain arrived a day later...