Quarq vs Power2Max MTB power meter

OnTheRicky

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a power meter, but it's such an expensive piece of kit that I want to be sure I've considered everything before I buy. Thing is, I just don't really know enough about living with either unit to really know what I should be considering...

I'm looking at the Quarq XX1 Eagle DUB Boost power meter with cranks or the Power2Max NG Eco equivalent (I already have XX1 cranks.) The Quarq is slightly more expensive, but I can always sell my existing XX1 cranks to make up the difference. 

From what I can tell both seem to perform perfectly fine, but it would be great to hear feedback from someone who has experience with both. Any other advice would be appreciated! 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have run Quarq for a number of years and have never had a days issue other than having to change the odd battery when they die and that is simple enough to do on the quarq. That being said i am looking at selling my one Quarq and replacing it with a Rotor power meter. I run oval rings and understand that the Rotor is the only power meter to compensate for the over reading when running ovals.

Don’t go quark. Not decent support in SA if it goes wrong.

What can go wrong with a quarq? I have 3 of them and have owned them for about 6-8 years. Never had a days issue

Ok so what bike is this going onto?

Secondly there’s a huge difference in price as for Quarq you will need a whole crank and pm due to the 8bolt spider mount.

With rheP2m you just buy the spider and chain ring and it mounts to your 3bolt mount behind the crank arm.

P2m does not make a std chainline spider.they provide an adaptor to space the chainring.you will need extra long chainring bolts from csixx or kalbo design. If boost you will be fine

Edited by DieselnDust

My quarq on the road bike started giving me problems.Power numbers were all over ,even if I calibrated before each ride.

I have run Quarq for a number of years and have never had a days issue other than having to change the odd battery when they die and that is simple enough to do on the quarq. That being said i am looking at selling my one Quarq and replacing it with a Rotor power meter. I run oval rings and understand that the Rotor is the only power meter to compensate for the over reading when running ovals.

power2max

Power2Max power meters are claimed accurate with oval rings by the manufacturer. Specifically, power2max says the cadence interval on their power meters is not discrete per crank revolution. Rather, the accelerometer data is sampled continuously, just like power data. In other words, they don’t make the assumption that pedaling velocity is constant and therefore, are not impacted by the use of oval rings.

Edited by BicyclePower

Ok so what bike is this going onto?

Secondly there’s a huge difference in price as for Quarq you will need a whole crank and pm due to the 8bolt spider mount.

With rheP2m you just buy the spider and chain ring and it mounts to your 3bolt mount behind the crank arm.

P2m does not make a std chainline spider.they provide an adaptor to space the chainring.you will need extra long chainring bolts from csixx or kalbo design. If boost you will be fine

What he said.

The P2M spiders are future proof with their boost chain alignment and a rather cheap R300 spacer to move it back to 142mm / 135mm rear axle. The other benefit is that P2M does not require you to mess around with your BB or crank. Quarq on the other hand may require a new BB and will require a new crank due to their 8-bolt mounting systems. 

Have had a Quarq for 3 years on my Tri-bike, first a Riken until the strain gauge broke which was replaced with a DZero by Cape Cycle Systems without issue

The only major difference between Quarq and P2M are the metrics such as pedal smoothness, torque and L:R balance. i believe Quarq come with these metrics standard. the P2M NGeco will only give you power and cadence data out the box. the user however can upgrade (purchase) the above mentioned metrics (pedal smoothness, torque and L:R balance) at an additional cost within the P2M app which is available for free download on iOS or Android systems. 

the upgrade is a once off fee of 50 euro per metric i.e. 150 euro for all 3 metrics. so even with the upgrade the devise will be more attractive in pricing than Quarq.

had a quark for 3 years - not one issue

rotor 2in one road crank - multiple issues with battery and some erratic readings

from what i read power2max is great - check out dc rainmaker review

so either of 2 will be great

My family has 2 quarq's, 2 stages and a powertap and I have previously used a P2M - you won't go wrong with either, both fantastic units. 

Just check which battery the P2M unit uses. I had an old one which used a 2450N battery - good luck finding the damn thing! My mate was complaining about this the other day. The quarq uses the standard 2032 coin cell - available everywhere!

What can go wrong with a quarq? I have 3 of them and have owned them for about 6-8 years. Never had a days issue

Mine and a friends FAILED totaly

power2max

Power2Max power meters are claimed accurate with oval rings by the manufacturer. Specifically, power2max says the cadence interval on their power meters is not discrete per crank revolution. Rather, the accelerometer data is sampled continuously, just like power data. In other words, they don’t make the assumption that pedaling velocity is constant and therefore, are not impacted by the use of oval rings.

Yay i have another option to consider. :clap: Thank you. I seriously didnt know that.

My family has 2 quarq's, 2 stages and a powertap and I have previously used a P2M - you won't go wrong with either, both fantastic units. 

Just check which battery the P2M unit uses. I had an old one which used a 2450N battery - good luck finding the damn thing! My mate was complaining about this the other day. The quarq uses the standard 2032 coin cell - available everywhere!

Power2max uses a battery commonly found in watches. I picked up several spares from a local jeweller. Battery lasts forever though

P2M still use the CR2450. we have these in stock they give 300h battery life.