Aluminium rim repair... splitting at the rim joint

RLucas

Hi Hubbers!

I have an aluminium MTB rim which has started to split open at the point where the rim is joined. While the rim tape and tyre hold the rim together well enough, I can't convert to tubeless because of the air leak.

Any suggestions for repair centres in CPT? Will it need to be welded? I figure soldering the joint won't hold well enough

Please help! 

Sounds to me like you would be better off buying a new rim. I would suspect that joint in the rim would always remain weak, even if it can be repaired 

Is it a double walled rim? A good aluminium welder should be able to fix it, you may need some extra sealing of some sort to make it airtight. What size rim? There are usually a few loose hoops floating around the classifieds. 

What size rim do you need? I have an old pair of 29" white Crests just hanging around in the garage, never used but old and dusty. They are yours if you want them

Problem solved.

Nice one Yusran.!

I really don't know... it probably is. it's the standard wheels on a Momsen AL651... rebranded Alex Rims. Thanks for the question... I didn't consider the double wall. I'm gonna consider the welding option before getting replacement rims  :thumbup:

Is it a double walled rim? A good aluminium welder should be able to fix it, you may need some extra sealing of some sort to make it airtight. What size rim? There are usually a few loose hoops floating around the classifieds. 

Yor dude! Thanks for the generosity! :clap: 

Unfortunately I have a 650b at the moment...  first mtb so paying quite a bit of school fees  :wacko:

What size rim do you need? I have an old pair of 29" white Crests just hanging around in the garage, never used but old and dusty. They are yours if you want them

• 1 month later...

Hi Hubbers, was searching for a forum covering what I found on my rear rim this afternoon, couldn’t find anything specific, thought someone here might have some answers.

Found a small bubble on both sides under the rim decals where the rim is joined together. Definitely not seen it before, can it be some form of rust? Front rim still looks perfect.

Hi Hubbers, was searching for a forum covering what I found on my rear rim this afternoon, couldn’t find anything specific, thought someone here might have some answers.

Found a small bubble on both sides under the rim decals where the rim is joined together. Definitely not seen it before, can it be some form of rust? Front rim still looks perfect.

post-71025-0-12826500-1563981613_thumb.jpeg

post-71025-0-61920900-1563981642_thumb.jpeg

Very likely just the decal lifting. Water etc can creep in under the decal at the joint,. remove it and take a peak underneath if you are concerned.

My 29er DT Swiss 1900 rear rim is also splitting at the joint and leaking air. Stans is sealing it, but I need to start looking for some replacement.

I'm gonna consider the welding option before getting replacement rims  :thumbup:

This is NOT an economical way to go - no longevity either - listen to droo and replace the rim

Very likely just the decal lifting. Water etc can creep in under the decal at the joint,. remove it and take a peak underneath if you are concerned.

My 29er DT Swiss 1900 rear rim is also splitting at the joint and leaking air. Stans is sealing it, but I need to start looking for some replacement.

Bubble is rock hard, not moving around when pushing against it.

Edited by Louwtjie86

I really don't know... it probably is. it's the standard wheels on a Momsen AL651... rebranded Alex Rims. Thanks for the question... I didn't consider the double wall. I'm gonna consider the welding option before getting replacement rims :thumbup:

Yor dude! Thanks for the generosity! :clap:

Unfortunately I have a 650b at the moment... first mtb so paying quite a bit of school fees :wacko:

Why you paying school fees?