How long to train

Echo25

Hi

So just bought my first MTB last saturday. Got a 2018 Scott Aspect 930.

Firstly thoughts on the bike are welcome. :)

Secondly I saw an add for a 22km MTB race in two months. Would it be enough time to get fit for the race if I train three/four times a week.

Thanks in advance

22km on a mtb, if you take it easy you can prob manage it this weekend...

Cycling is a lot less impact than running, upping distance quickly does not incur injuries as much

Hi

Secondly I saw an add for a 22km MTB race in two months. Would it be enough time to get fit for the race if I train three/four times a week.

Thanks in advance

Congrats.

Can't comment on the bike. However not all 22 kms are created equally. When it comes to mountain biking, elevation gain is a very big determining factor of difficulty. 

100% i did my first race Cape Argus(road) with only 2 months been on a bike and 14km training on Saturday and Sunday at contermanskloof MTB trails   

Don't "train"

Just go out and ride your bike! It's a blast and if you ride every DAY weekend until then you will be fine HAPPY. 

Isn't that the truth!!! 

I just need a new boss and new bibs  :clap:

100% i did my first race Cape Argus(road) with only 2 months been on a bike and 14km training on Saturday and Sunday at contermanskloof MTB trails   

If you started out at Conties you were pretty hardcore... Had the shock of my life when I rode there the first time after starting out at Meerendal being under the impression that "I got this!"

Are there any MTB trails where you live ?

Join these and ENJOY the trails ... the distance will increase with each ride.

If you started out at Conties you were pretty hardcore... Had the shock of my life when I rode there the first time after starting out at Meerendal being under the impression that "I got this!"

I did **** myself 28km a weekend offroad how hard can 100km on road be :eek:

Hi

Thanks in advance

Hey Echo,

I was in a big car accident a few years back and stopped cycling for about 1.5-2 years. When I started again, I rode 5km the first day with moderate elevation (I was suffering so much!), then the next or 2 days later I did 7 km (aimed for 5, managed 7, you see the trend?), and by the weekend I aimed for 10km, managing 15. 

My point and rambling is - simply start riding. You don't need to work yourself to death, just get on the bike and ride 5km, more if you can manage without causing injuries (or stiff muscles!), then try and gradually increase the distance every time you ride again and you ought to see natural gains fairly quickly!

Also, this period is crucial for stretching both warmup and warm down! It enables much faster gains and prevents delays from injuries.

Hope this and the advice from other users helps. Enjoy the riding!

PS: if you update your location, you may be lucky and get an offer from someone to ride with them.

Edited by Dirkitech

Prepare to get addicted to the most expensive and healthiest drug on earrh.

Hi

Thanks in advance

At some point a hill may just be that bit to long or too much elevation .... dont stress, get off walk it, take a moment to enjoy the scenery and to get your hart rate down .... get back on and enjoy the rest of the ride.  Your legs will get strong quick enough !!  Soon you will ride those "impossible" hills ....  Dont stress if it feels like everybody else has a few extra climbing gears that your bike is missing ....

Simply enjoy the time in the saddle.

If you told me that you bought a new bike last week Saturday and have already entered the Karoo Burn in Feb of 2020 or C2T in March then I would have said that you're in trouble but 22km in 2 months will be really easy to achieve  :thumbup:

Yay, something I actually have experience in.

I bought my first bike last year July. Having been sedentary prior to that, and I mean properly so (0 exercise in at least 7 years, and maybe a handful of workouts before then), I entered and completed a 40km MTB race two weeks after getting it.

Focus less on distance and focus more on time and effort in my opinion. You're probably going to be spending two hours on the bike, so you just need to be able to ride for two hours. Just focus on that and you should be fine.

Oh, and buy a pair of decent padded shorts. In order of importance its straight after a helmet in my books. You, and your tjommie, will thank me.

Just go out and ride, with friends or a group if possible. If you want to post where you are I am sure some hubbers will be eager to show you in the right direction. That is what got me from blowing chunks on a 8 km ride, to finishing Amasova 106 km two months later, (in 7 hours  :ph34r: