Challenge Cape Town

nadesdan

It was a pretty well run event and I think Challenge lived up to its reputation. The route was interesting and very tough in places. We were very fortunate with conditions for the swim and it went ahead pretty well. It was little bit hard to follow the route and with more swell and chop it could be quite challenging to hold a swim there. The bike change meant we rode three laps up and down Blouberg beach front and into the nature reserve. Its the flattest route I have ever done and for me personally it was  a long time to be in the TT position. The run was not a scenic trip through Cape Town the bulk of the effort was in the ascents of the unused roads in what I think is District 6. I was expecting lots of ascent but I didn't realise how steep some of the climbs were and found myself walking on each of the three laps. I enjoyed it and will be back if it goes ahead again.

Pros; 

Great swim venue

Well organised practice swim

Big transition areas

Easy access straight onto the bike course

Full road closures

Regular and frequent aid stations

Great finish area

Nice to see family able to finish with Mums and Dads

Cons;

Swim buoys a bit hard to see despite good conditions more sighting buoys would help

Changing areas are a little small in both transitions

The ride into cape town had a rough surface in places and in a SE would be pretty awful

The run route wasn't great.