Mont Marie Closed... Thanks chop

Reme Le Hane

From MM FB:

Maintenance has been suspended and the trails will be closed indefinitely. Riders through on the first day of maintenance. The damage is insignificant, but the disrespect enormous. This seems to be the trend now in Stellenbosch. Other areas suffer the same fate regularly, but builders and organisers are often helpless as the trails are built on public land. Ours is on private property however and privileges have been suspended until further notice. Any riders/runners will be treated as trespassers. Should the transgressors contact me privately and apologise trails may be opened again. No naming and shaming here - just an honest apology. There will also not be any further discussion on the matter in social media.

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fmontmarietrails%2Fposts%2F606182929893539&width=500

61923319_606176006560898_698695717827588

61729162_606175966560902_571721789327225

62173504_606175979894234_273911726992470

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So people rode on trails that were closed for maintenance?

Could be an honest mistake, but I guess strava is probably the best way to play sherlock holmes and I don't have an issue with social media name and shame in this regard.

Could be an honest mistake, but I guess strava is probably the best way to play sherlock holmes and I don't have an issue with social media name and shame in this regard.

The massive logs and red tape across the trails make it very hard to believe that it is an honest mistake.

Nothing on strava, checked already

Mont Marie posted on FB that trails will be closed and was shared to all Stellenbosch cycling Social media groups.

Doubt its honest mistake .. but hopefully they will own up

edit: more PC

Edited by Karman de Lange

Nothing on strava, checked already

Mont Marie posted on FB that trails will be closed and was shared to all Stellenbosch cycling Social media groups.

Doubt its honest mistake .. but hopefully they will own up

edit: more PC

Also just checked Strava, only 2 guys on Monday that turned around at the logs. 

The guilty parties probably deleted their rides off Strava.

Might be  an honest mistake buy with that amount of tape / logs and the fact that the trails look like they are under work so I doubt it. 

Hopefully some selfentitled riders will spot this and apologise and others will think twice before believing that they can ride where they want because they have a pass. 

PS... looks like a XC tyre tread (is it friday yet? This has all the hallmarks of a good honest, old fashioned hub pitch fork n torch party). 

Edited by Dirt Tracker

There's always someone . . .

At Northern Farm they used to get riders climbing an access gate at the back of the farm and using the trails without paying anything.

Some people just "take".

The problem is, it's not just one chop, or a couple of chops. It's a culture.

The sense of entitlement is a problem, coupled with arrogance and it costs us trails.

Trails have been closed in Somerset West (Schapenberg,) Tygerberg (Kliprug?) and wannabees (Bilton) and I remember there because no issues at Bottelary, Hermanus and Grabouw as well.

If I had a farm, there would be no way that I'd allow mountainbikers on it.

Chop? I can think of a better 4 letter expletive beginning with a 'C'.

The level of disrespect just boggles my mind.

So can I, and probably all of us, but in the interest of keeping things civil and all.

The problem is, it's not just one chop, or a couple of chops. It's a culture.

The sense of entitlement is a problem, coupled with arrogance and it costs us trails.

Trails have been closed in Somerset West (Schapenberg,) Tygerberg (Kliprug?) and wannabees (Bilton) and I remember there because no issues at Bottelary, Hermanus and Grabouw as well.

If I had a farm, there would be no way that I'd allow mountainbikers on it.

Heard a lot of stories about that, I accidentally went off trails on one of the wannabees farms, but that was a marking issue and when I got home I mailed them and sent them my strava link so they could figure out where the signage was off based on my random wondering.

The amount of posts I see on the wannabees page is also shocking riders going off route, ridding past houses at early hours talking loudly and then being rude to land owners when confronted, they really seem to not get that our boards are a privilege which gives us specific access and is not some all access everyone be damned pass.

Its not like a little respect and decency ever killed anyone.