Nürburgring Nordschleife lap records

nathrix

Informations

24h race on the legendary Nürburgring

Since 2003, the 24-hour bicycle race has been an unequalled experience. The atmosphere of the Formula One arena and the challenges of the legendary Nordschleife render the around-the-clock race unique in the world.

24-hour races hold a very special fascination. The athletic and organisational challenges possess a dimension that is out of the ordinary – day and night. An event that is challenging not only to the athletes but to the whole crew of assistants, helpers and friends. For this reason, 24-hour races are not only an athletic contest on the track but at the same time stand for mastering the common challenge. And after a 24-hour ride through the “Green Hell” there are only winners.

During the 24-hour race at the Nürburgring everyone will find their very personal challenge. Individual riders as well as teams of 2, 4 and 8 will compete in the correspondent classifications. Both extreme sport athletes and reasonably trained amateur athletes will equally get their money’s worth.

https://radamring.de/en/disciplines/24h-bike-race/

I'm a big motorsport fan and a big fan of sports cars, but I just cannot get used to the sound of electric cars.

aounds like a Scalextric.

Interesting to see the ID.R top speed dropped from 270km/h at the begging of the lap to 250km/h at the end of the lap.

Also that the 919 has a top speed of near 370km/h. Would have assume that the electric motor without gear box could do better.

Flippet , my palms sweat just watching this on my laptop . I would k@k myself if I had to be a passenger in that car !! That's crazy fast .

Flippet , my palms sweat just watching this on my laptop . I would k@k myself if I had to be a passenger in that car !! That's crazy fast .

I'd give anything to be a passenger in that car! 

Has anyone been to the Nürburgring?  I have :clap:

Interesting to see the ID.R top speed dropped from 270km/h at the begging of the lap to 250km/h at the end of the lap.

Also that the 919 has a top speed of near 370km/h. Would have assume that the electric motor without gear box could do better.

Electric drives have a couple of interesting challenges that internal combustion drives don't really have to consider. A lot of work goes into balancing battery charge, engine power and heat dissipation in the electronics.

The car is able to go faster, but they have to limit the top speed (and also average speed) to make sure that the limited charge in the batteries lasts for the entire lap. In an IC car, you can just add a bit bit more fuel, without too much extra weight. Adding more battery cells comes with a much larger weight and space penalty. This is why it only maxes out at 270 km/h.

The second issue is that the battery, power electronic and motor performance reduce as they get hotter through the lap. This may explain why the top speed drops towards the end. It might also be that the battery management system started to limit the power to make sure there was enough charge left to finish the lap.

Edit: Actually, the explanation may be even more mundane - looking at the lap profile, the beginning parts appear to have more downhill sections than the end parts.

In the webinar linked below, the Head of Simulation at VW Motorsport discusses these challenges and how they overcame them. It's mainly about the Pike's Peak record, but around 1h4 he discusses the specific challenges of the Nürburgring.

https://www.ansys.com/en-gb/resource-library/webinar/fluent-battery-cooling-system-vw-motorsport

Edited by Minion