Horizontal vs Vertical shock

davej1402

Im graduating from roadie to mtb after 30 years, but have never kept up with the techno side, so ive been looking, what is the ,if any, major diffirance in handling / feel between a mtb fitted with a vertical mount shock, or a horizontal one. .?

Just an interesting point, in the 80's motorbikes went from 2 vertical mounts to one horizontal, it really smoothed the ride, no pogo bouncing.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dave. Congrats on the graduation.

Suspension performance/feel has very little to do with the orientation of the shox.

The way a good (or bad) design functions is based on all the forces, angles and ratios of the pivots, linkages, material etc.

Anyone trying to simplify it to shox orientation is trying to sell you their total lack of understanding of the topic.

Focus on the actual (riding) performance of the design as a whole, not just a single component, and most importantly, how well it matches YOUR type of riding.

Cheers

Im graduating from roadie to mtb after 30 years, but have never kept up with the techno side, so ive been looking, what is the ,if any, major diffirance in handling / feel between a mtb fitted with a vertical mount shock, or a horizontal one. .?
Just an interesting point, in the 80's motorbikes went from 2 vertical mounts to one horizontal, it really smoothed the ride, no pogo bouncing.

Not really graduating, more like settling. 

Suspension performance/feel has very little to do with the orientation of the shox.

The way a good (or bad) design functions is based on all the forces, angles and ratios of the pivots, linkages, material etc.

Anyone trying to simplify it to shox orientation is trying to sell you their total lack of understanding of the topic.

Focus on the actual (riding) performance of the design as a whole, not just a single component, and most importantly, how well it matches YOUR type of riding.

Cheers

Dear OP Listen to this ^^ man. He builds some of the best bikes available. He understand engineering better than 99.9999% of the people out there.

Cheers

The orientation of suspension makes zero difference, the set up makes more difference. F1 cars have had shocks in all orientations, same with rock climbing buggies etc.