Help choosing right bike?

Narda Vermaak

Hi there,

First time here. I would really appreciate some help. My husband enjoys Mountain biking as a recreational hobby. He does some trails like the Berg and Bush and other MTB races. 

He currently has a Scott Aspect 740. I want to surprise him with a new bike. I have looked at the Silverback Sprint Plus or Scott Scale 960.

He is a big dude. Weighs 118 kg and is about 1.86 tall. 

Could you please point me in the right direction? My budget allows for a nice bike up until R22 000.00.

Any feedback will be highly appreciated as I am totally lost and it has to be a surprise, so asking him is out of the question...

Check out Titan Skyrim comp, there you will get a Dual suspension bike with a decent rear shock, 1x11 gear system and a dropper post all with Boost technology, and you will have change for Shoes and a new Helmet.

GoOd LuCk Nadia.
The Scott seems like a nice upgrade. on the other hand the Silverback is Dual Suspension. 
With all the advancements in dual bikes I think I will go for the Dual. Better riding experience.

My 2c worth.

If you're looking at a hardtail, Momsen currently has a special on the AL529 for around R 16.5k which I think is a very good deal - it was selling for 23k not too long ago.

Check out Titan Skyrim comp, there you will get a Dual suspension bike with a decent rear shock, 1x11 gear system and a dropper post all with Boost technology, and you will have change for Shoes and a new Helmet.

good deal there Dexter :thumbup:

Issue is that OP's husband is almost 120kg. If you're in that weight range, you typically want to run stronger casing tyres (something like Maxxis' DoubleDown or Schwalbe's SuperGravity). However, the Skyrim is designed to use 2.8" tyres, which typically aren't available in such strong casings. 

Frankly, that Silverback Slade Trail is a great option. 

Issue is that OP's husband is almost 120kg. If you're in that weight range, you typically want to run stronger casing tyres (something like Maxxis' DoubleDown or Schwalbe's SuperGravity). However, the Skyrim is designed to use 2.8" tyres, which typically aren't available in such strong casings. 

Frankly, that Silverback Slade Trail is a great option. 

Indeed. That is the issue. 

And - it's the bike I'd buy if I wanted n+1 AND had the money. 

Narda WELCOME to the Hub

Too many unknowns ....  A bike is a very personal choice !  What works for the one wont work for the next.

Some LOVE a hardtail - and in that price range you are looking at a hardtail.

Not even talking about colour, frame geometry, gearing, and and ....

BUT, just maybe, your husband may be wanting a full suspension bike.  Yes,it may be "possible" to buy an entry level full suspension for that price .... but I learnt soon where they saved the money and had to start spending money and soon bypassed the bypassed the budget for a decent full suspension bike ....

Maybe consider putting your cards on the table ... let him add the difference and buy a better bike ?