PIKE vs 34 Fox experience

AndreJvVZA

Hi all, 

I wrote off my Fox shock with a crash recently hence I'm in the market for a replacement. I can't decide on Rock Shock's PIKE or FOX 34. With what these beauties cost I would like to make an informed decision taking riders experiences into account and not sales people's.  

Off the batt the Pike has 35mm stanchions and in my mind should be stiffer, for the rest they seem very similar, but the servicing and upkeep compared to Fox? 

I weigh 108kg's so the weight aspect does not phase me at all. I prefer quality, durability and reliability from both the product and the manufacturer. 

Anyone care to share their experience?

Cheers 

Hi, I had the same problem last year and ended up going for the Pike. I also had the 2017 Fox 34 on another bike to compare...

As looks go the Fox naturally took the crown, but performance wise the Pike just felt better, was easier to setup and has far lower maintenance intervals...

At 108kg I would maybe consider going for a Fox36...or the new Marzzochi Bomber Z1...its the same as the Fox36 Performance but for much less money. https://m.pinkbike.com/news/marzocchi-bomber-z1-review.html

Then...MRP Ribbon..at R13000 new you cant beat the performance an quality. Have a look on Trail Tech Cycles for more details

Cheers

Hi all,

I wrote off my Fox shock with a crash recently hence I'm in the market for a replacement. I can't decide on Rock Shock's PIKE or FOX 34. With what these beauties cost I would like to make an informed decision taking riders experiences into account and not sales people's.

Off the batt the Pike has 35mm stanchions and in my mind should be stiffer, for the rest they seem very similar, but the servicing and upkeep compared to Fox?

I weigh 108kg's so the weight aspect does not phase me at all. I prefer quality, durability and reliability from both the product and the manufacturer.

Anyone care to share their experience?

Cheers

MRP... enough said.

good morrow

im not that experienced but i have had a 160 mm pike an atm i have a bike with  120 mm 34 factory and also a bike with a 120mm pike.

obviously the bikes differ but from what i can tell they are both solid but the pike lends a bit more support halfway and further in the travel leaving the fox feel more plush but i like both for what they are.

this is with running both with the low speed damping off so obviously the fox could be tuned to feel more like the supported pike but like i said , i like how they feel with it off.also more tuning possibilities with air volume spacers so they can be made to feel completely different to what i have. im not really helping hey...think fox has longer service intervals....? so in short, both are great and good luck  :thumbup:

There's plenty of really good comparison tests online.  On BH though, opinions will be your guiding light...

First of all - what travel range are you looking at?

Secondly - what is your budget - and are you looking for new or secondhand? Since that can greatly influence availability at your budget.

And then thirdly - what will you be using the fork for? What type of riding do you do?

Depends on travel range, anything 140mm and less - I'd take the Fox 34. The Pike does well up to 160mm because as you mentioned it has a 35mm stanchion and is stiffer, but if I had the $, I'd be spending it on a Fox 36.

My experience - had a Fox 34 on my Stumpy set to 150mm, it was noodly and not a lekker match to the bike, it is now at 130mm on my hardtail and I absolutely love it. Replaced the Fox 34 with a MRP Ribbon on the trail bike which I am very happy with, but it is harder to set up than the Fox, and is not quite as plush (in my experience anyway) - it does have a ton of cool features like ramp control though - definitely a fork for the person that like to really play around with set-up.

PhillipV has a Pike on his bike - the one thing I am quite amazed with is how plush and reactive it is even close to it's service intervals. Other forks get quite sticky far away from services, from what I have seen RS is a little less prone to this.

Considering your weight I would look at the Fox 36 or the Marzocchi Z1 (which is the same thing).

As far as I know the Fox 36 minimum travel is 140mm. So if your bike needs less than that go for the Pike. 

I have had 2 Fox 34's, 2 Pikes and now have a Fox 36. They were and are all excellent. 

Regarding adjust-ability I would recommend the fork with the least settings! Less to mess up with your tweaking! The Fox/Marzocchi cheap GRIP damper is awesome.

Hi, I had the same problem last year and ended up going for the Pike. I also had the 2017 Fox 34 on another bike to compare...

As looks go the Fox naturally took the crown, but performance wise the Pike just felt better, was easier to setup and has far lower maintenance intervals...

At 108kg I would maybe consider going for a Fox36...or the new Marzzochi Bomber Z1...its the same as the Fox36 Performance but for much less money. https://m.pinkbike.com/news/marzocchi-bomber-z1-review.html

Then...MRP Ribbon..at R13000 new you cant beat the performance an quality. Have a look on Trail Tech Cycles for more details

Cheers

Awesome feedback Mohs, thanks for the suggestion. 

Mater op daai Cube van jou die Fox 34. Small bump en plush Wat die Pike nie kan match nie.

As jy wag tot volgende jaar of wanneer dit release word die nuwe Pike is glo heel redesign om nader aan Fox te wees.

There's plenty of really good comparison tests online.  On BH though, opinions will be your guiding light...

First of all - what travel range are you looking at?

Secondly - what is your budget - and are you looking for new or secondhand? Since that can greatly influence availability at your budget.

And then thirdly - what will you be using the fork for? What type of riding do you do?

Thanks for your reply Nox1111, I checked all the online reviews hence me asking here with the hope of personal, honest feedback. 

I was thinking 140 travel.

No budget and won't easily settle for second hand.

I use this bike I'm for more technical, rough terrain.  

Thanks for your reply Nox1111, I checked all the online reviews hence me asking here with the hope of personal, honest feedback.

Heavy, no budget, rough terain = Fox 36.

Grip 2 damper if you like to play with settings, Fit4 damper if you like easy set-up.

I'm close to your weight and riding a 140 mm Pike that I'm very happy with. Huge difference between that and my previous 130 mm Fox 32. A Fox 34 SC might be worth a look as well.

A RockShox Revelation, Yari (start at 150mm) or Fox36 Rhythm (also start at 150mm IIRC) would also fit the bill if budget is a concern.

I reckon the DVO Diamond. I had a fox 34 with extras added fit4 and so on. I could never come right with how quickly it would blow through its travel. Dont get me wrong, the fork was solid, but I always felt like I was gonna OTB. 

The DVO right out the box with the recommended tune is spot on.  My other choices were MRP(stoke talked me out of it) and CC Helm. I got the DVO on sale.

From a maintenance point, the Pike has a 200hr interval between major service if I recall correctly and RS seals tend to be a lot cheaper then Fox wiper seals.

I'm super happy with the 140mm Pike on my Jeffsy, lacks a little with small bump complience, but you don't even feel the bigger rough stuff and landings. I don't have any experience with the Fox to compare to unfortunately.

The Yari is also great, tested one on a demo Stumpjumper. Basically a Pike chassis with Revelation internals.

I've had a older Pike (2017), a new Revelation Deb' (with the 35mm legs), Fox 34, an MRP stage and MRP Ribbon Air, a Manitou Mattoc and ridden a bit on a 36 and they have all been good in different areas. If budget is no option then you have a lot of options with the likes of Cane Creek, Ohlins, DVO, Manitou, Formula and others. 

What bike is it going on and where do you usually ride as that would also guide my decision on this one. Also 29'r or 650b? 140mm can be anything between long legged trail bike or a shorter smash ruffian. 

I really liked my Revelation on a 120mm trail bike and with the 35mm legs it was a great improvement over the old version. That said a tuned up Pike (with a Vorsprung Luffekappe and an MRP ramp control) is still a very good option and covers alot different applications despite the glittering attraction of the next new thing. 

The Fox 34 is buttery and lush and to be honest along with a Mattoc the difference in legs on stiffness was pretty negligible. The 36 I rode was nice but I didn't find it better than some of the others. The Grip 2 is impressive but I found it a little 'dead'. It chewed up terrain like a hoover but  I'd put it on a burly hard tail at 140mm or move it out to a 150mm+ enduro / AM rig. 

The MRPs I've had have been very nice. The Stage was ultimate 'set and forget' and just got on with it over most things. That was on a 650b and I actually likes the lack of things to adjust. The Ribbon was a different beast and took lot of playing to set up but in the end was worth it for a really good session. Not as plush as my Fox though. Not sure what Stoke would advise against but if they have reservations then I'd ask them because they know their stuff. 

The Mattoc I had was the under cover option and I was very impressed by it. Easily on par with the other big players but only really 650b. There is a 29'r version that can be adjusted from 120 to 140 but I've no experience on that wheel size. Well worth a look if you want to step out of the Fox / RS zone. 

I've been interested in the Helm for my enduro sled or the 150mm steel hardtail I'm looking at. 

TBH there are a lot of great forks out there and you won't go wrong but it comes down to use, location and to some degree what it's paired with at the back (travel / kind).