PIKE vs 34 Fox experience

AndreJvVZA

I reckon the DVO Diamond. I had a fox 34 with extras added fit4 and so on. I could never come right with how quickly it would blow through its travel. Dont get me wrong, the fork was solid, but I always felt like I was gonna OTB.

The DVO right out the box with the recommended tune is spot on. My other choices were MRP(stoke talked me out of it) and CC Helm. I got the DVO on sale.

Can't think of why Stoke would steer people away from mrp? The only issue they had was a csu problem but that's been sorted out as that was with the first batch and they've warrantied those even if they were out of the warranty period and that IMO is some serious after sale service.

Side note MRP are not mass produced, they have the longest service intervals, each fork is dyno tested not batch tested like other brands, cheaper to service and its the best fork I've had to date. I've had the fox34, pike, as well as an mrp stage which was super plush and now I have the ribbon coil.

Coil is the best thing since sliced bread. Never have to check pressures and do setups just get on and blast away! (I would love a CC HELM COIL but it's 3 or 4k more than mrp but still cheaper than fox or RS)

cool.

My personal experience - same as a lot of guys on here.

Fox 36 is magic. Expensive magic. It works unbelievably well. Stiff and plush.

Fox 34 is very good - I just think it looks skinny on big bikes, other than that no complaints.

Mattoc Pro 3 29", 140mm - easily as good as the Fox 34. And more tuneable - pro level features on a budget.

Pike - awesome fork. Fit and forget - which is why I love RS.

Revelation (charger damper) - can not beat this on a budget.

I literally own all three top listed forks and have ridden all 5.  I can't speak for the MRP, DVO, Marzocchi, Ohlins, helm or Mezzer pro. But its hard to believe they'll beat my experience on these.

*sidenote edit: setup + volume spacers will do a lot for your fork of choice. I run my forks pretty hard, so may not experience diving or blowing through travel that guys at low pressures may experience.

Edited by nox1111

Can't think of why Stoke would steer people away from mrp? The only issue they had was a csu problem but that's been sorted out as that was with the first batch and they've warrantied those even if they were out of the warranty period and that IMO is some serious after sale service.

Side note MRP are not mass produced, they have the longest service intervals, each fork is dyno tested not batch tested like other brands, cheaper to service and its the best fork I've had to date. I've had the fox34, pike, as well as an mrp stage which was super plush and now I have the ribbon coil.

Coil is the best thing since sliced bread. Never have to check pressures and do setups just get on and blast away! (I would love a CC HELM COIL but it's 3 or 4k more than mrp but still cheaper than fox or RS)

Yeah, that was then, when there was the csu issue.

Hi all, 

I wrote off my Fox shock with a crash recently hence I'm in the market for a replacement. I can't decide on Rock Shock's PIKE or FOX 34. With what these beauties cost I would like to make an informed decision taking riders experiences into account and not sales people's.  

Off the batt the Pike has 35mm stanchions and in my mind should be stiffer, for the rest they seem very similar, but the servicing and upkeep compared to Fox? 

I weigh 108kg's so the weight aspect does not phase me at all. I prefer quality, durability and reliability from both the product and the manufacturer. 

Anyone care to share their experience?

Cheers 

I saw one of these the other day

Aesthetics would trounce performance in this case  :drool:

RockShox-Pike-Lyrik-Ultimate-2020-001-81

More drool

silver3ql.jpg?w=856

Edited by splat

What kind of crash did you have that wrote off a fork ?  :eek:

What damage to yourself and the rest of the bike ?

lol, thanks for asking. Cracked ribs, hematoma on my shin and arm, itb and elbow bruised and swollen.  :-( Front wheel burped on the landing of a jump, I lost control and hit the rocks with left side of fork, breaking the caliper collar and flung me a few meters. Don't know the actual trajectory of the bike but we both came off pretty bruised and battered. My wife says I must start acting my age..............we don't heel up so nicely anymore apparently. I say get better gear!!!

lol, thanks for asking. Cracked ribs, hematoma on my shin and arm, itb and elbow bruised and swollen.  :-( Front wheel burped on the landing of a jump, I lost control and hit the rocks with left side of fork, breaking the caliper collar and flung me a few meters. Don't know the actual trajectory of the bike but we both came off pretty bruised and battered. My wife says I must start acting my age..............we don't heel up so nicely anymore apparently. I say get better gear!!!

Damn, thats hectic

Awesome feedback, thanks guys. Have a great day. Weekend is on its way, keep the rubber side down. 

UNDER 130mm the 34 over 130mm the Pike 

Fox:

expensinve to maintain 

Unrivaled small bump compliance

Much more tunable than the pike 

Bushes are replaceable 

Good local support 

Pike: 

cheap to maintain

Not as much tuning available

Bushes are not replaceable 

Can transfer over to an enduro bike if you choose

Much stiffer than fox 

Rockshox agents(cape cycles) leave much o be desired in terms of support and spares availability 

Both are Luftkappe compatible so both can be made to have good small bump compliance , fox will always be better tho